Do guys want to tell random chicks that they’re beautiful in real life or does that phenomenon only occur online?

90% of guys online start conversation by telling chicks they’re beautiful. Maybe 1% of guys in real life start convo that way. Where is the truth actually being told?

0|2

Most Helpful Guys

• I mean, sure, I've had moments where I wanted to tell a woman that she was very hot/beautiful. But what's that going to give me? It's not like the girl will reply: "oh that's so sweet, do you wanna come home with me?" More likely, she will think I'm a creep. So... it's better to keep those things to yourself.

1|9
    0|4
    • :(
      I mean, it's not like you're expecting anything right? It's just a compliment. I'd be like "aw thanks".
      And life goes on

• Show All
    • Well thank you :D
      Hope you have an amazing rest of your day

• Online communication let's people project tone onto their communication in a way that doesn't carry over to other people. Most guys are filled with positive emotion when they see a beautiful girl, and the only thing clamping down on that is the social anxiety of potential rejection, even if they have no intention of asking them out.

For men, If a beautiful woman looks at you disapprovingly, it just wrecks you. Social relevance never comes into the picture.

But online, men dont get that; there isn't anxiety around it, so many men have the happy response of:

"Seeing this person made me smile, how cool is that! They should know they made me happy, and be happy too."

That's literally all the thought that internet stranger complimenters put into it. They aren't thinking it through, and in their head it's not a focal point of the conversation, it's an ice breaker.

2|1
    0|0

Most Helpful Girls

• Ummm, well I never get hit on online, but I don't post my pics. But In real life I've had many variations of the *beautiful* compliment. I think guys online are doing it cuz they're desperate, but that's just where my head goes when a guy randomly sends me some *send me a titty pic* comment

1|1
    0|0
  • It's mostly just online from what I can tell. It's like because they are behind a screen they forget that there is another actual person on the other side.

1|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 98

• I think online is a different world compared to in person. Men online probably feel more confident and bold to say things that they wouldn’t otherwise say in person, so it doesn’t surprise me that some men say things online that they wouldn’t say in person. This applies to a bunch of other unrelated topics as well, such as a person commenting something negative or hateful to another, but wouldn’t say the same things in person. Online can elicit a certain personality or mode of acting in people, that they normally wouldn’t have in person.

1|1
    0|0
  • I feel that guys care more about the girls that are standing in front of them. That girl will respond in some way and the guy will have to deal with her feelings - No matter what they are. But online, they are not in front of that girl and if she doesn't like it, the guy doesn't have to deal with her. -- This is so embarrassing for me as a guy because guys act so stupid on line -- Guys that write to girls in the manner you speak of - I AM ASTONISHED BY HOW MUCH THEY DISRESPECT GIRLS ONLINE. I started to notice this when I would go to a girls page on Facebook to thank her for accepting my friend request. I am disgusted by how guys write to girls -- It is so disingenuous - But I also noticed another thing -- These same girls never expressed their displeasure at this - So both sexes play a part in this - Guys are the most responsible, but if girls don't shut them down and demand to be treated like human beings online by guys, then it will keep happening. Girls would be offended in public - So guys realize that is not proper behaviour - But they think they can treat all girls like this online and it is alright - But it is not - PROBLEM HERE - If the girls don't say this is incorrect behaviour - guys will keep this up. If guys did this in public and girls didn't say anything They would do it online and in person to girls. Girls are responsible in that they should not allow this type of treatment online - But if they don't complain, then why should guys ( That have no respect for themselves or the girls they write to ) treat them any better? To complement a lady is a very nice gesture, but that is all it is. Not how to start a conversation - Or to believe that girls are so shallow. ( I have read a few girls ASK not to be talked to like this - Or nudes sent to them. But it is like a drop in a very big bucket!

1|0
    0|0
  • I tell random women they're beautiful in real life, but not just anyone. If I find a woman exceptionally beautiful, or a specific feature exceptionally beautiful, I'll usually let them know. It's not a pick-up line though, I think women are beautiful creatures and I don't think they get a lot of genuine, heartfelt compliments without there being an alterior motive behind it, but when they do you can really see the impact it has on them and that makes me feel good.

1|0
    0|0
  • It is so much easier to tell a girl she's beautiful online. Some do it for their own ends, and some do it because that is the only arena they have the courage to say it. When they are actually in front of the beautiful girl, they become completely tongue-tied and second-guess themselves into inaction.

1|0
    0|0
  • Usually if you say it in real life you will instantly have CREEP plastered on your forehead no matter who you are. Even if you already know the girl as a friend it can be that way. In real life you have to go through multiple hoops and 'games' to determine whether that girl is open to and 'consentingly' open to a compliment like that.

However being on an online dating site means you have already given implicit concent for men to approach you in a romantic sense. So there is no reason not to.

0|1
    1|0
    • I don't agree. Plenty of PUAs call girls 'beautiful' without being considered creepy. What's creepy is not being congruent. I've seen guys approach girls confidently and say crap like 'Hey, just noticed you and thought you looked gorgeous and I had to talk to you'.. It's not creepy in the slightest if you say it with good intentions and an open heart.

Rather most guys who say that shit online are too cowardly to say it in real life and that is creepy, because the person you're talking to online isn't the same person as the one in real life. They're not congruent, it's all an act.

• Show All
    • You see men going out and doing things that you're too cowardly to do and in a poor and dishonest attempt to validate yourself, you try to shame them.

There is NOTHING wrong with going up to someone and giving them a compliment. The least it will do is give them some confidence. My girlfriend always seems excited when she's been approached by guys, she rejects them in an instant and gets on with her day, but she can take away the confidence that someone noticed her appearance and felt compelled to do something that the vast majority of men don't have the balls to do.

• Two people meeting in a coffee shop has always been a stereotypical beginning to a romance story. Maybe the girl smiles at the guy whilst he's waiting in line to get his coffee, maybe the guy comes over and compliments her appearance and they start talking---But wait, oh no! The guy's Duance, he quickly ignores her smile and stares at the ground, he's got butterflies, he feels nervous... But that's ok, because he wouldn't say anything anyway, he's not going to compromise LIVES and MORALS by giving this girl a compliment... ShE CoUlD HaVe A BoYfRIeNd and the signals could be wrong! Ahaha, all the best man.

• It's not just a guys thing. It's only that guys usually start the convo. Online, it's mostly a picture only that you see. It's almost only online that girls start convo with me and use "handsome" or "look good". Or more frequently, the lazy "Hi x" or "Hey" 😬

1|0
    0|0
  • Because You won't friendzoned us in online world. LOL we dont fear from rejection in online world because there are plenty of chicks in online world. Besides no one is seeing us in the online world. So it would be private too. LOL

I am the guy who praises beautiful girls online.

0|0
    1|0
  • Did it once was

And I'll never do it agian why cuz the lady lost her shit on me though I was hitting on her and wanting in her pants... all I said was she is looking beautiful 🙄

1|0
    0|0
    • So you do t do it online either right?

• I mean I'll try but so man boys use it as a pick up line what's the point that and even if I said it to someone they would probably laugh at me

• I would never open a conversation that way. I'm confident and assertive enough that I could if I wanted to, but I don't want to bother anyone who isn't actively trying to find a date. I'd have no problem telling a girl that she was beautiful, gorgeous, cute, had a nice ass, whatever, if she specifically asked for my opinion. However, otherwise, I'd opt for casual conversation and more subtle (and perhaps, more tasteful) compliments.

1|0
    0|0
  • Whether online or in real life, I would only say that if it was true.
    By the way, you are beautiful!

1|0
    0|0
    • 🙄 shh, now I feel like I look like I was fishing for compliments

• Show All
    • @SaskiaBlueRaySoul I was teasing witty if a bit. Nothing wrong for one to hear they are beautiful. And even when some people are not “beautiful”, they are often attractive in many ways. And I have no problem complimenting a person’s looks. But I am an honest person, so I will not go overboard there. And I am also open to discussions with people who have trouble seeing their own beauty.

• @Red_Arrow i honest responded directly to her, its interesting though and very comforting to come across two considerate souls xx

• I think your numbers are askew about on line, but I see your point. It's easy to start a convo on line that way when you see a profile pic that's pretty. "Nice pic" ... easy, but you're not likely to say "nice face" or "great body" or "wow, you're hot", first thing to a woman when you meet her in person. It's a different dynamic. Oh by the way, you're hot :)

1|1
    0|0
  • I don't know if I’d start the convo that way, but I absolutely do tell beautiful women irl and online that they’re good looking, hot, pretty, gorgeous, etc.

2|0
    0|0
  • I do it lol but most women react poorly to it.
    I will occasionally give random compliments if I think something is worth complimenting. It's not flirting, I'm not trying to pick them up, I'm not even really trying to have a conversation, i just wanted them to know it's nice.
    Women however always assume I'm trying to get in their pants and say something to the effect of "really? That's your best line?"

0|0
    0|0
  • I don’t tell random chicks. Just the beautiful ones that I find myself drawn to. Like a drink, to a recovering alcoholic. I can’t, not approach her, to tell her that she is beautiful and what it is exactly about her that makes me think/feel that she is beautiful. Unless her man is bigger than me. I’m kidding, I wait until he goes to the restroom. Then I approach her. No, not really. I’m not like that. I would want to tell her. Im sure her man already tells her things like that.

0|1
    0|0
  • I always give a girl I properly like a genuine compliment if we meet together irl. I don't tell girls that they're beautiful online tbh actually, but if I do it's probably because I like you anyway.

0|1
    0|0
  • If I am in a good mood I will flirt with every girl present, I mean even with more than one at a time if they are in a group, also if something about some girl struck me she will know what I think of her

1|0
    0|0
  • I honesty don't unless im on date with them. in my opinion one shouldn't compliment on a photo online. To me it comes off as creepy.

1|0
    0|0
    • The only other time i would comment on looks is if im asking a girl out. Like " i think your beutiful and was wondering if you would like to go get some coffee sometime?"

• Far as the opening w
      Question is i misunderstand it. Yes i want to tell women that I find them attracive all the time but lets face it doing that is likely going to get you in trouble and possible sexual harrassment charges. Thats why it doesn't happen much.

• I do it if I'm given a socially appropriate way to do it, but in all honesty, I am worried about coming across as creepy. I have learned through trial and error that if you give a woman the opportunity to misinterpret something, chances are that she will.

0|1
    0|0
  • Everyone has bigger balls on the internet. How do you not know this by now?

1|0
    0|0
  • Guys tend to suck it up and avoid getting rejected in public... So yeah we would like to say it in real life as well but we dont wanna look that desperate (At least not all of us)
    by the way you are beautiful lol

1|0
    0|0
  • Hell no. I think I actually tell more women in real life they're attractive than I tell women online. Hell, I even told one of my co-workers today that she's beautiful and she appreciated it. One time it did get me in trouble on another job though. But for me nothing beats telling a woman face to face that she's sexy/beautiful/etc.

0|0
    0|0
  • the ones irl.
    for myself i don't even approach random chicks because 99% of the time they're quick hookups and i don't need nor want any of those, i need someone to be able to talk to and that's not something that comes out of these kind of things most of the time.

0|0
    1|0
  • Online is closer to the truth. Because in real life, guys know that walking up to a random woman and telling her she's beautiful could get them labeled a pervert. Or arrested. Or beat up by a boyfriend/husband. Not worth of the risk in this #metoo environment

0|1
    2|0
  • I have wanted to, but I feel like the assumption is I would be a creep making advances on someone I don't know anything about so it would be presumed I am just a pig trying to bed them. So to avoid that possible scenario I just don't bother

0|1
    0|2
  • To start an actual conversation? Personally, almost never. Depends on the environment, the girl and the context. For most girls, just saying "you're beautiful" isn't a great opening statement for having a conversation.

0|1
    0|0
    • "Hi, You're Cute, What's your name?" I like better. For whatever reason, to me the word beautiful in the context of conversation is just heavier

• I do it all the time and am usually thanked for it.

1|0
    1|0
  • Beats the fuck outta me! I haven't got a fucking clue.
    I only say that to a gal if I truly mean it. Same as yelling a gal "I Love You".
    I won't say it unless I truly mean it.

1|0
    0|0
  • I think it would just be awkward for most men. Don’t suspect most of them would think they could pull it off. Online there’s more of an emphasis on the physical because photographs are attached to profiles.

0|0
    0|0
  • On the internet it would be a common approach because the only thing they know about the person is how she looks, not much can be said. In real life there are so who are so beautiful it's almost a pity not to tell, but nowadays approaching strangers is danger and I don't do that who knows what could happen

0|0
    0|0
  • If you tell a random girl she's beautiful in real life, you risk being falsely accused of harassment.

1|1
    1|0
  • Show more from Guys

What Girls Said 18

• I think guys are emboldened on line to say lots of things they’re afraid to in real life.

3|3
    0|0
    • For right or wrong, too many pussies IRL, few men around these days.

• Show All
    • @Kkaos
      Haha where was your group of guys these last couple years? 👌
      Honestly man I've been taking advantage of a degree of genuine confidence (not arrogance) that I've got for quite some time, I've been heavily improving myself all the time for years now and I've noticed a great irony, in dealing with people from both genders.

Whilst a superior level of confidence is great for bagging women, my abilities to do so have also brought forward a whirlwind of insecurity in the girls, and outright jealousy in other guys (especially friends).

Girls appreciate being approached as you say, but they find it hard to believe such a guy is actually interested in them for all the qualities he does seem to have. When they feel like they're inadequate in matching your quality they pull away, even one night stands have been intimidated by me, despite being heavily attracted, it creates high level dissonance in their self esteems.

As for the guys...

• @Kkaos
      Most guys that don't know me will either be intrigued by such antics and positively want to get to know you to learn from you. But the rest just get jealous as fuck, and openly feel emasculated just by your presence, let alone sexual prowess or whatever other masculine virtues you possess. In my experience being a beefy, bearded "biker dude" guys rarely will ever square up to me when sober. But when drink and drugs and pussy are floating around, well... The worst in the human spirit reveals itself to me... Jealousy drives malice and spite is all I'll say.

Same for "friends" who aren't your level and equally feel intimidated and frustrated by your exploits; they're more dangerous though, eventually they'll snake you and try to find ways to undermine you (normally they become very "feline" in their disregard for you)... And more importantly, cock block you.

It can be alienating, it's hard to find guys on the same wavelength and strength of character.

• It's easy to be bold behind a computer. There's no fear of rejection that way. Us girls look at a guy and think he's good looking but maybe don't have the courage to say it lol.

1|1
    0|0
  • I've been told I am beautiful in real life. I think it depends on the courage of the guy and how much he cares. If he doesn't care he can easily comment about someone without having a mental battle about it with himself. Especially if it's something nice like calling someone beautiful. Or if its creepy like staring at a girls ass and telling her how much he'd love to have sex with her...

0|0
    0|0
  • I've had random guys say that in real life. But it was clear that they were interested in a date since it usually followed by them giving me their number. It was never to start a conversation, at least not a platonic one.

0|0
    0|1
  • I get hit on maybe once a month in person, but every day online. Guys just gain confidence online so its easier

1|0
    0|0
  • When I've asked how a girl know if she's very attractive people say to discount guys telling them they're beautiful because they're just saying it to get sex? Is this true? If so then how does a girl know if she's beautiful?

1|0
    0|0
  • Its creepy either way so unless you're dating her dont do it.

1|1
    0|3
  • A lot of guys do say it in person. It’ll hurt more to be rejected/ignored in person than through text tho. That’s what they are afraid of.

1|0
    0|0
  • It's not that they are being untruthful. It's just easier to call a woman beautiful safe behind a computer screen than face to face.

0|0
    0|0
  • there's no point. They'll just deny it and say they're ugly

1|0
    0|0
  • It is rare for a guy to say that in person but when it happens it’s great

1|0
    0|0
  • I guess because it's not so creepy online as it would be in person

0|0
    0|0
    • I'd say it's more creepy online. In person you can see their face and judge their emotions better. Online you don't know who's behind the screen.

• @Kkaos well you're a guy so...

• I agree with kkaos, at least of a guy says it irl he may actually mean it.

• I guess more than 1% of guys are shameless in person as well - especially after some shots

0|0
    0|2
  • Start? Yh I suppose but usually it is said within a few minutes of chatting, no?

0|0
    0|0
  • Only online and so they can fuck you

1|0
    0|0
  • Guys are anonymous online so yhey say dumb stuff

1|0
    0|0
  • If they say it, they mean it

0|0
    0|0
  • Yeah guys be like "good morning beautiful" I'm like "bruh you don't even know how I look"🤣🤣

1|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes