Does it seem as if people get offended too easily these days?

Ha
Ha

2559

Most Helpful Guys

• The alt-right loves to claim that but ironically it is mostly them who get offended about every trifle.

Other than that, I think people generally have a pretty healthy feel for what's offensive and what isn't. Also, people have the right to be offended. The alt-righters would probably say "only if it's for a good reason" but I call authoritarian bullshit on that. Because who is going to define what is or isn't a "good" reason? You? Me? My parents' cat? We all have different feelings and different issues. And instead of insulting people as snowflakes, I think it makes more sense to talk to each other and try to understand where the other person is coming from. I might not agree with you on something but I am very empathetic person. So, if you describe to me how this issue/incident made you feel, I can still understand why you would be offended.

As an outsider (non-American), I think the real problem in the US today is not that people get offended too easily. The real problem is that people are generally very mean to each other and that they have stopped to talk things out in a civilized manner. Especially in the realm of politics, people who disagree mostly talk ABOUT each other, rather than with each other.

• If you are knowledgeable and well studied on politics you will realize you can never agree or compromise. Some people think taxes are moral and some people think they are immoral. That is the heart of 99% of issues. There is no middle ground. Sure im for clean energy, unless i have to pay for it. But people want to force me to. Thus they are theives and criminals as far as im concerned. How can you negotiate and compromise with someone stealing from you? Fuck em i want them dead just as if they were a home intruder trying to rob me in the night.

• 7d

@bamesjond0069
      Again, this was not my point. So if you don't understand my post, please just stop commenting.

Also, comparing taxes to the atrocities of the Nazis is absolutely ridiculous. And it once more shows your lack of critical thinking skills and your inability to be nuanced. Taxes are not a black-or-white issue; it's only you who turns it into that with your childish, extremist position. Luckily however, you belong to a tiny minority. Most people are able to be nuanced and differentiated about topics such as this and with those people productive discussions are very much possible, even if disagreements exist.

• 7d

@asker
      Oh gotcha. Sorry, this multi-person convos can be a bit confusing sometimes ;-).

• Sadly, yes. And that's a damned shame too. People can't be funny or say... really anything without someone's panties in a bunch and basically declaring war.

And not just online too. At my job someone got fired a few weeks ago for being accused of making a Trump joke. This was outside the building and not in earshot of any customers. Didn't even get a chance to defend or deny it.

Most Helpful Girls

• It seems to me that humans were always getting offended over politics, religion, etc. It’s why we had wars... beheadings, witch-hunts, jail cells, etc.

When people hate themselves and their situations, it tends to leech into their need to argue or to be right. It’s typical human behavior, practically comes with the duality of life otherwise there would be no lessons to learn, no experience to gain. Right?