Do people learn about other than black slaves in school?

I'm wondering if children in the US get to learn about other slaves than the black one too in school. Why I ask this weird question is because of I hears a lot of Americans discussing the black slave trade, but not other slavery trades.

Romans and Greeks had slaves of different "races", the vikings from Scandinavia had mostly British as slaves who were mostly whites like themselves, blacks in Africa had other blacks as slaves, Middle-eastern had both white and brown people as slave etc. I think some people in the African-American community have forgotten that white people from North and West-Europe were slaves in the middle-east and that not only blacks were slaves in the past. Slavery has existed everywhere. Every races has owned slaves and been slaves. We hears about white and European-guilt, but not about black-guilt or any other racial guilt.

#BlackMonth #Slavery #Slave
White vikings selling a white girl to Persians and Arabs
Middle-eastern buying a white girl as a slave

1935

Most Helpful Girls

• People in the US barely learn about black slaves and tend to want to ignore that part of history anyway so my answer to your question good sir is a hell to the no.

• Why do I hear Americans discussing the black slave trade a lot, but not the other ones?

• 3d

@Stripes99 a lot of people don’t know about Jewish involvement in the slave trade.

• I see what you're trying to do... 🤔🤔🤔🤔

Yes, slavery is wrong overall, but you know how many Africans died because of slavery?
    Do you know that the effects of slavery are still present in the lives of Africans and people of African descent?
    Do you know why the African continent has so many problems today?

Maybe next time you should think and read some books before posting a question like this one and saying things like: "We hears about white and European-guilt, but not about black-guilt or any other racial guilt."

• 7d

1. Roughly 115 million, and about 100 million of those were from the Muslims.
      2. Yes, and they should be thanking Whites for their increased standards of living from their ancestors being enslaved by Whites instead of Arabs or African warlords.
      3. Yes, low average IQs, too much tribal diversity, and socialism.

• 7d

@hakon96 who cares if something is racist? What matters is if it’s true.

• 7d

Yeah I agree, but my point is that she is never going to realise that

Most Helpful Guys

• Slavery has existed for long periods throughout history but the black slave trade was a little different from the other instances the only type of slavery that was racially specific and it is also the most recent and the end of slavery as well
    For those reasons it is the slavery most talked about
    And a side note Vikings had thralls which has a few minor differences to slaves

• What's the difference between thralls and slaves?

• Thralldom was individual
      A thrall's children were not property where a slaves was that would be the major difference they were also typically not bought and sold but I suppose that just wasn't the norm more than related to their status

• In my school district you don't learn about American slavery until the fourth grade (state history), and they make it pretty clear it's a race issue. After that you touch on it in 7th, 10th, 11th, and 12th grades for American History/Government classes.

Learning about non-black slaves can take place in Latin (the language) classes offered from 7th to 12th grade but with very few students (less than 30 per year in thecounty). Some teachers mention it in 9th grade world history but for the most part it's ignored.

• 6d

It's not a very nuanced way they're teaching history. Slavery is obviously not a racial issue itself. Yes, the slaves in the US experienced racism - but in most cases slaves in other places in the world didn't.

• 6d

The way it is presented in the high schools implies that for economic reasons blacks were brought from North West Africa and sold as slaves in a white country. The schools for younger people only really talk about race issues.

• 6d

The high schools are slightly better though. It's a good thing they're mentioning the economical reasons things, since most slavery trades in the world were mostly an economical thing and to benefit the wealthiest people. People wanted slaves to do shitty work for them without paying wages.

People shouldn't be teach slavery is a racial issue. They should rather teach them that racism did happen in the US's case, but that usually people were willingly to take anyone as their slaves and that people took people who looked like them as slaves too. Whites had white slaves and blacks had black slaves. Slavery isn't a racial issue, but a racial issue happen after Americans had blacks as slaves for a long period.