Do you agree with prisons being luxurious nice places or should they be horrible?

In certain countries in Europe prisons are not horrible places but 4 star hotels. Some places in Europe prison is simply a joke. Do you agree with prisons being a luxurious 4 star hotel?

1|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 24

• Honestly, I would say they require a standard living condition, let's say like a college dormitory. Clean, kept well, but nothing extravagant or luxurious. Well fed, definitely a learning and rehabilitation center preferably with a library, so that they can better themselves. Maybe get a job as well.

3|3
    0|0
  • There are so many people around the world who are homeless and poor and hungry. So criminals who commit crimes have it better than those who don't.
    Ridiculous.
    I'm all for rehabilitation and such. But luxurious living ≠ rehabilitation. At the most, it should only be a simple accommodation with the basic living necessities such as clean water, heater etc.

1|1
    0|0
  • The thing about Europe is they're still prison. So you can't leave and the lack of freedom is still felt even though the living spaces are decent. And they offer training in trades and advise inmates how to adjust to life outside of prison. As such the rate of recidivism is low but in America it's incredibly high. So the US spends more letting people out and back in all the time than Europe does just having one person serve

2|1
    0|0
  • Then why would anybody refrain from doing bad things? That’s ridiculous. As it is, people already do bad things on purpose to be able to get free shelter and a bed... now with prisons all dolled up and peppered more people would be committing crimes just to get that free comfortable service... it’s an idiotic idea.

0|0
    0|0
  • No.
    If there prisons were basically 5 stars hotels, it might increase the criminality rate as more people would want to go to prison.
    I don’t think they should be horrible though, just regular places.
    And I think they should focus on the productivity of the whole thing. The activities should actually help them improve and develop as persons.

0|2
    0|0
  • They should be awful places you wouldn’t want go to. The personnel shouldn’t care about your comfort and focus on keeping the inmates alive and well at best. And maybe in offering help. People in prison have done nothing Esteban deserve treatment and it’s unfair to the public (especially their victims) to treat them like stars. If they want that kind of life they should have to earn it. giving it to prosoners defeats the purpose of jail - to reflect on what you did and repent

0|3
    0|0
  • The point of prisons were originally to turn people around, and to keep them away from society while that happened. I don't know what the standard is in other places but what happens in the Americas is definitely unacceptable.

0|1
    0|0
  • No, more like dorms.
    i think they should be able to have a mini fridge and be able to earn money and buy food themselves for their own cell with a roommate.
    but not their own bathroom.
    With learning for sure.
    and only some activities.
    Like maybe cooking for some of the prison would be good.
    It shouldn't be a good place tho.
    And one thing I do agree with is that Families should stay together.
    So that prison was good.
    And Good Healthcare but that's about it.

0|2
    0|0
  • I don't think they should be suuuuper nice unless the prisoners are on death row. However, you could definitely still feel the pressure of being a prisoner in the first place because uou can't really go anywhere unsupervised.

0|1
    0|0
  • They shouldn't be luxerious at all the whole point of jail is to make people never want to repeat the same shitty actions that led them there in the first place!

0|0
    0|0
  • Lol. Luxurious is a bit of an overstatement. The purpose of a prison is to limit people's freedom, not to torture them.

0|1
    0|0
  • They should be nicer for victimless crimes like smoking weed or being unable to pay fines.

They should be worse for people who commit horrible crimes like rape and murder.

0|1
    0|0
  • definitely shouldn't be luxurious but they shouldn't be horrible. I'd say bare minimums. Like the typical cell you see in tv shows.

1|1
    0|0
  • I think it's stupid if the prisons were luxurious 4 star hotels. I mean someone could've killed a person and they get to go live in a luxurious place? Plus it just wastes extra money on bad people (though not all those who go to prison are bad).
    Though I'm not saying it should be horrible either, they're still humans and we shouldn't focus on torturing them, not many actually did super bad things (though there are those who have). We should focus on helping them. Prison should be clean, minimal items and simple. Yeah but the luxurious thing is just so stupid lol

0|0
    0|0
  • then need a bed sink toilet that's it they should not be rewarded for bad behavior

0|2
    0|0
  • They have better conditions than dorms in my country which you have to pay for. Plus many people are homeless.

0|0
    0|0
  • It should be like a one star hotel, Super 8 or something like that!

0|0
    0|0
  • Like in Germany

0|0
    0|0
  • Is it luxurious for rich people or for any prisoner?

0|1
    0|0
  • It is not whether or not prisoners should be have a luxurious place. It is the fact that they have to say they are jewish to get some decent food. It is the fact that during natural disasters they are locked up in the prison while every one else can leave the area. It is the fact that they are miss treated. Also once they leave, it is nearly impossible to go back into society and then they end up back in jail. Yes they made a mistake. Some people can turn around. Our society is making it harder for people to be accepted unless you fit the requirements. I am in a Social Justice Class we spent 2 months on this topic. I am very aware of what happens inside of those prisons.

0|1
    0|0
    • 4d

They still get first world food and medical care. Black males actually live longer in prison that outside it. There are plenty of people in poorer countries who are innocent of any crime and do not live as well as prison inmates in the US.
      freakonomics.com/.../

• Thats not real

0|1
    0|0
  • luxurious would be my ask if attending

0|1
    0|0
  • If you put someone in a horrible place they won’t change. I think the purpose of a prison is to rehabilitate someone and teach them a lesson, so instead of the shitty places we see in movies they should be clean places. More likely to come out of prison being a good person.

1|0
    0|0
  • They shouldn't be luxurious at all!
    They should be punished, not rewarded.

1|4
    1|0

What Guys Said 44

• No prisons should be luxurious since then it wouldn't be a prison. None of the examples showed in the video are luxurious. Luxury prisons are none existential, but there are good and bad prisons. Many of the prisons showed in this video are good prisons. The environment are good and rehabilitative. A prison is supposed to teach criminals how to be good citizens again, that criminality isn't good, protect the society when the criminal is still dangerous and prepare them for a normal life outside. Giving them education, work training and normal looking rooms teach the inmates how to live their daily lives as good citizens. Bad prisons with violence, yelling guards, cells looking like cages and prison uniforms don't teach them to be good citizens again and poorly treated inmates can become even more aggressive.

In Norway, Sweden and Denmark the living standards are much higher than many other countries in the world, therefor the prison quality would be higher too. For a poor foreigner from an development country the prisons may seem luxurious since they're used to live in slums, but for a native Nordic it would look like an unpleasant place they don't want to go to. There are no freedom there. No free travelling, Wi-Fi, shopping or hanging with friends/family when you wants to, no cell phones, no normal computers, no walk in the mountains etc. Many of the everyday things an average Scandinavian enjoys aren't allowed in prison. If they wants to meet their family, friends or have sex, it has to be planned. Sometimes several days in advance. Some only meets their family once or twice a year, because the family lives very far away. Breivik who are sentenced "for life" aren't allowed travelling to tropical climates rest of his life and that's a thing most Nordic people would miss.

1|1
    0|1
  • Prison's should be inexpensive and effective, safe and humane.

They should not be made more uncomfortable or comfortable than necessary.

They should focus on reform programs and work programs that get inmates out of the prison on work-release as quickly as possible for non-violent offenders, and rehabilitate violent offenders by building life skills and establishing healthy relationships with multiple case-workers before being released on probation.

0|1
    0|0
  • Logic suggests prisons should be horrible in order to deter crimes, but studies show that this isn't really working.
    Countries with the most lenient criminal systems such as Norway tend to be the ones with the lowest recidivism rates.

That being said.
    A lot of the crime in such countries is minor to begin with, I'm not sure whether this kind of rehabilitation would work with US convicts.

0|1
    0|0
    • 5d

The problem with the US isn't only the prison system, but also the high crime rate. Easily accessible guns, high rate of poverty and poor welfare may be the explanation on the issue. But do the politician and people want to do anything with it? Nope. The military budget are more important for them.

• 4d

@curiousnorway The medical budget is far higher in America than the military one. Since Clinton reformed the welfare system poverty and crime has fallen a great deal. America has to deal with a great deal of issues of ethnic diversity that the rest of the world does not so stop thinking that you are doing things better than we are.

• Prison is is a place where come/should out better than the went in! If most of us went through the same shit that people go trough I'd bet that we'd probably be worse! The should be helped change an rehabilitate where possible! If not taken care of for the rest of there life! If some one keeps kicking u wouldn't you eventually hit back!

0|0
    0|0
  • well, not 4 star hotels, some people who work all day can't afford a nice place to live. But I think what we have is awful, unhelpful and cruel when it is a cell or worse solitary. In my mind, if someone needs solitary confimenet, you turn them loose in a large pasture in nature for a day rather than lock them in small space.

0|0
    0|0
  • Hmmmmm. What do you want a prison to be? A place of punishment so that the victim is avenged, or a vehicle to bring societies outsiders back to the mainstream? If it's about punishment then why not do away with prisons all together, just shoot them after sentencing round the back of the courtroom.

0|2
    0|0
  • Prisons should be such hell holes that the criminal underclass will be terrified of being sent to one.
    My idea of the model prison can be seen in the movie Papillion (1973):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lW_IWHw3z-U

0|1
    1|0
  • Their prisons are no "joke".

journals.sagepub.com/.../1477370809341128

Compare their criminal behavior reforms and recidivism rates to the US and other countries that simply throw people away behind walls and bars. Look at how much more the US actually spends per inmate when considering recidivism. If this were a contest, we'd be losing. Oh yeah... we're still losing.

0|1
    0|1
  • People will try to say, oh the criminality rate is so much lower in Europe than America to defend such prisons. The fact is America has issues like ethnic diversity which European countries don't. Prisons can be very luxurious in Venezuela, and the murder rate has been through the roof there in recent months.

0|0
    0|0
  • prisons aren't there to spoil people for having done well. they are litterally there to correct peoples behavior. if you reward them for being criminal, how is that helping the issue at hand? this just goes to show, that this world isn't equal. if you're rich, your live will be great, even in prison.

0|0
    0|0
  • What's the point of sending someone to jail if he isn't scared to go back there if he fucks up again?
    You went against people, against society, you lost your right to ask for a good treatement. They only need the bare minimum, toilets, a bed, food and what they need to clean themselves. Anything more is too much.

0|1
    0|0
    • 5d

In Norway the recidivism rate is ca. 20%, but in the US it's ca. 70%. So maybe that's pretty "explanatory".

• 4d

@curiousnorway Let's trade places how about you take all of America's poor ethnic minority populations and we get your oil (America has oil too, but it is not enough to satisfy the needs of our population let alone export it around the world and get rich doing so). Let's see how well Norway does then.

• They shouldn’t be luxurious but also not bad. Just a good place. For me the punishment is to be isolated from the outside world and the lack of freedom it brings. If it is a bad place it will only make prisoners worse when they get out again

0|0
    0|0
  • They ought to be safe and basic as possible. From what i've seen, in the uk at least, they argue that by giving some luxuries it makes for a safer environment for both staff and inmates.

0|0
    0|0
    • 5d

If you've read stuff in the news, you'd see how badly wrong that scheme went. Thank Christ I never applied to join...

• 4d

Having seen some documentaries on US jails & prisons, it would seem the treat them mean approach dosen't work either.
      TBH, it would seem that the correct approach hasn't been found world wide. It would seem to be a difficult issue

• They goal is usually rehabilitation and not punishment.

Only Norwegian "prisons" are what some might consider hotels. But on the other hand, the reoffend rates are lower than in the States for example.

0|1
    0|0
  • Trust me, there's very few places like that.

You would not, for example, wish to end up in prison in Serbia or Greece, for example.

1|0
    0|0
    • 5d

Most prisons are bad. Most American, South-European, Middle-eastern, African and Oceanian prisons are none-luxurious and US like or much worse. North-Europe are the only part of the world with many decent prisons.

• Actually if you look at statistics, prisons that’s treat prisoners better are much less likely to see that prisoner again.

0|1
    0|0
  • Prisons should be horrible. That's the point of them. Otherwise, how will people learn their lesson (s)?

0|1
    0|0
  • Depends on their crime, if it's not a serious then they should live more descent than people that killed or raped for example.

0|0
    0|0
    • 4d

A lot of times it's the other way around - local jails are shitholes while prisons aren't quite as bad.

• No. Prison is a place of punshiment and should be harsh not comfy.

No offense but europeans seem kinda stupid.

0|0
    0|0
  • I like Sheriff Joe Apieo’s way of doing things, except I think they should be forced to do hard and meaningless manual labor for 12 hours a day, 6 days a week and not in exchange for early release.

Western society seems to have this notion the purpose of the law is to guide the innocent and gently correct the guilty. I disagree. The purpose of the law is to protect the innocent and punish the guilty.

I also favor bread and water only for food. That’s still a punishment allowed to be used in the military so why not in Prison? Or fish heads and rice for every meal like in Japan.

Prison should be unpleasant enough to not want to come back and also sufficiently punish the crime.

0|1
    0|0
  • Prison should be a place that you do not want to return to.

0|1
    0|0
  • I'm into whatever works and lowers recidivism rates among those who have gone to prison. Whatever is best for decreasing crime overall I'm for.

0|0
    0|0
  • If prison is a nicer place than I can afford working full time... Just label me Institutionalized.

0|1
    0|0
  • Most criminals are just in need for treatment just thier psychology

0|1
    0|0
    • 4d

There’s nothing wrong with any of those people that can’t be corrected with a swift return to the days of corporal punishment.

The mentally ill and insane need a hospital, criminals need a prison.

Suppose I raped and strangled your mother, sister, wife, and newborn daughter. Do you think I just need some therapy or would a little “special treatment” be in order due to the heinousness of the crime in the absence of proven mental insanity?

Put yourself in that circumstance for a moment. I think you’re opinion will change.

• They shouldn't be luxurious but they shouldn't be wastelands either.

0|1
    0|0
  • If prisons are luxurious. All homeless people would go killing and robbing people to get in prison. It would be a massacre.

0|0
    0|0
  • No I dont agree with them being over spent on... It should be a punishment not a vacation.

0|0
    0|0
    • 5d

That's not what's happening. Do the research.

• 5d

It's not a vacation. Both travelling, meeting friends/family when you wants to, shopping outside the bars and Wi-Fi aren't allowed. You've to do things and stay at the same place, so prisons aren't fun.

• Prison cells should not be luxurious, because then that's not punishment.

0|0
    0|0
  • Prison should be horrible in my opinion so they won't break the law next time.

0|0
    0|0
  • There should be a balance
    Neither a hotel nor a slaughterhouse (like it is in my country lol)

0|0
    0|0
  • Show more from Guys

Recommended myTakes