Thoughts on the holidays/christmas? Should we say happy holidays?

I heard recently about people being upset that there was a war on Christmas, and watching t. v. today made me think of it again. It's just after the middle of hanukah and the 2018 US capitol Christmas tree is happening... and it's late. Christmas usually suffocates other holidays like Hanukkah for an entire month before it eve. Why do we spend so much time focusing on a single day? Personally, I feel like we should say happy holidays until at least the week of Christmas.

0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• There is no War on Christmas

People who says that there is one lack any sense of reality

1|1
    0|1
    • I agree entirely. The only war related to Christmas is to commercialize it as much as possible.

• People on the right need to stop being snowflakes

Most Helpful Guy

• You have a good point. It is quite disrespectful to other holidays that Christmas takes up so much time. I do think that the "Christmas spirit" is a good thing and it should go on for a while. We should probably say "happy holidays" until the week or so before Christmas, in my opinion.

1|1
    0|0
    • I agree, I love Christmas spirit, but even for me it can be overwhelming when I have to spend an entire month thinking about a single day. Seeing people set up decorations in November always makes me roll my eyes, it's too much time and money dedicated to one holiday in my opinion.

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 1

• MERRY CHRIST-MAS!!! xx

0|1
    0|0

What Guys Said 6

• There is no war on Christmas. That's just what the hysterical crybabies on Fox News tell you.

Say whatever you want. I say merry Christmas.

2|1
    0|1
  • I don't really care what individuals and private companies do. I do have some reservations about public officials and religious displays on government owned property as, depending on context, it can be a violation of the 1st amendment.

0|0
    0|0
  • It's called Christmas not holidays. People put up a tree for Christmas not holidays. We don't drink egg nog, sing about Jesus, and celebrate for the birth of Jesus for holidays. Its for Christmas. If you want to say happy holidays because Halloween, Christmas, and New Years are king of bundled I dont care, but dont take away "merry christmas".

0|1
    0|0
    • Not that it's being taken away because I don't see a war on Christmas

• I'm not saying you can't say merry Christmas, I really don't mind it during the holiday. But the commercialization of the holiday has led to it taking over the media by the end of November. My big point is that there is no reason to say merry Christmas weeks before the eve of the holiday and even during other holidays, how many other holidays do we celebrate for an entire month? When was the last time you had people celebrating and planning for saint patricks day on valentines day? When was the last time labor day celebrations were being prepared on independance day? On the week of Christmas I have no qualms with greetings like "merry christmas" at all, but an entire month ahead? For example I don't want to hear "happy thanksgiving" at the start of and for the entire month of November either, yet I still love the day and eat more than my fair share of stuffing.

• I agree its annoying. Can't stand it

• say what you wish. if the listener doesn't like it, it's his problem

0|0
    0|0
    • Obviously, but I mean maybe we should tone back Christmas a little bit. We broadcast celebrations of Christmas before and even during hanukkah, pretty much as soon as Halloween is done the commercialization of Christmas begins. It takes over stores, it's all over the news, it's in your fliers and magazines, it's a little overwhelming for me and I celebrate the holiday, I can't imagine celebrating Hannukkah and having to go out of your way to find places to shop and magazines to read that specifically mention hanukkah and not Christmas and then the news is full of stories about giant Christmas trees getting lights put on them weeks before Christmas eve.

• Yes, but look at the bright side...……... You get to watch The Ten Commandments (about Moses) during this time on many different channels!!!

• happy holidays. im jewish. IM NOT CHRISTIAN

0|0
    0|0
  • Does it suffocate Hannukah in Israel?

0|0
    0|0
    • According to www.touristisrael.com/.../ it isn't as commercialized as the west. I'm talking specifically about the western countries like USA and Canada. I don't know personally though as I've never been there around that time, I dont personally know it's traditions and how they differ from mine.

• Show All
    • Your point is failing thought because it's an invalid comparison. The culture in Israel is different than here. By your logic in Israel should celebrate hanukkah for the entire month and talk about it in the news during Christmas day. I understand why Christmas is popular, but I mean we celebrate it for a month and show it off as much as possible with large Christmas displays being broadcast on the news, stores stock with Christmas merchandise in November, etc. It is the middle of hanukkah right now, yet it doesn't even get mentioned most of the time. Christmas clogs up the media and suffocates other holidays that take place weeks before it.

• That's my point. Israel is Jewish, it makes sense if their main celebration is Hannukah. Our countries are mainly Christian, it makes sense that our main celebration is Christianity.

Recommended myTakes