Wasn't George H. W. Bush a bad guy or something?

Unless your living in a cave, you've heard that President George H. W. Bush died recently, we've been hearing nothing but praise and grief, but I can't help but to think: "Wait a minute, wasn't he a shitty president?" I heard he did some bad shit, but I don't know if they're true and/or I'm getting them mixed up with the other bushes (George W., Jeb, and Prescott), but I'm not sure right now. I was born in 1999 and I was hoping some of the older folks on GAG can inform be on him.

Also I wonder, if people are saying George H. W. Bush was a "great president" the why didn't he win a second term like most presidents do?

611

Most Helpful Guy

• First of all, that guy in the video is so radical and full of shit that he's not worth listening to.

As far as Bush, he was one of the best presidents in my lifetime, which goes back to Kennedy. I was alive during Eisenhower, but don't remember him when he was president.

Bush oversaw a crucial time in history. Basically peace broke out during his administration. He wasn't responsible for it, but there was a heck of a lot going on. So he had a big juggling act during his tenure.

The cold war ended during his administration. The Soviet Union broke up. A number of ex Soviet states declared and gained independence. Most of the proxy wars ended. Many of the hot spots around the world were cooling. He was not responsible for any of those things, and some of it happened just before or after his administration. But he certainly had his hands full.

He was president during the final nuclear disarmament treaties with the Soviet Union, and oversaw the start of actual dismantling of nuclear weapons which resulted in close to an 80% reduction in the world's nuclear arsenal.

Then there was the Iraq war. Some say that destabilized the Middle East, but it did the opposite. Iraq had invaded and occupied Kuwait. They had one of the largest militaries in the world lined up on the Saudi border, with every indication of invading them next. Without intervention, Saudi Arabia would have fallen. The Saudis were practically begging the US to intervene. If Iraq was allowed stay in Kuwait and take over Saudi Arabia, THAT would have been highly destabilizing.

It wasn't even much of a war. There was a massive buildup that took several months. The entire time, Bush and the other allies were hoping Iraq would see what they were up against and back down. But Iraq refused to pull back from the Saudi border or leave Kuwait.

Even though Bush had a military background, he didn't second guess his generals. He gave them what they wanted, which was a buildup so massive that the "war" only lasted 100 hours. Iraq was hurt enough that it wouldn't try the same thing again. It was done the right way, and accomplished the mission quickly and with minimum casualties.

All of this with a one term president.

"why didn't he win a second term like most presidents do? "

A combination of Bush getting slammed badly by the media, and Ross Perot getting close to 20% of the popular vote, which is a huge amount for a third party.

• Wow, I was googling everything you said and it seems like you cleared up all the bullshit.