Wasn't George H. W. Bush a bad guy or something?

Wasn't George H. W. Bush a bad guy or something?
Unless your living in a cave, you've heard that President George H. W. Bush died recently, we've been hearing nothing but praise and grief, but I can't help but to think: "Wait a minute, wasn't he a shitty president?" I heard he did some bad shit, but I don't know if they're true and/or I'm getting them mixed up with the other bushes (George W., Jeb, and Prescott), but I'm not sure right now. I was born in 1999 and I was hoping some of the older folks on GAG can inform be on him.

Also I wonder, if people are saying George H. W. Bush was a "great president" the why didn't he win a second term like most presidents do?

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• First of all, that guy in the video is so radical and full of shit that he's not worth listening to.

As far as Bush, he was one of the best presidents in my lifetime, which goes back to Kennedy. I was alive during Eisenhower, but don't remember him when he was president.

Bush oversaw a crucial time in history. Basically peace broke out during his administration. He wasn't responsible for it, but there was a heck of a lot going on. So he had a big juggling act during his tenure.

The cold war ended during his administration. The Soviet Union broke up. A number of ex Soviet states declared and gained independence. Most of the proxy wars ended. Many of the hot spots around the world were cooling. He was not responsible for any of those things, and some of it happened just before or after his administration. But he certainly had his hands full.

He was president during the final nuclear disarmament treaties with the Soviet Union, and oversaw the start of actual dismantling of nuclear weapons which resulted in close to an 80% reduction in the world's nuclear arsenal.

Then there was the Iraq war. Some say that destabilized the Middle East, but it did the opposite. Iraq had invaded and occupied Kuwait. They had one of the largest militaries in the world lined up on the Saudi border, with every indication of invading them next. Without intervention, Saudi Arabia would have fallen. The Saudis were practically begging the US to intervene. If Iraq was allowed stay in Kuwait and take over Saudi Arabia, THAT would have been highly destabilizing.

It wasn't even much of a war. There was a massive buildup that took several months. The entire time, Bush and the other allies were hoping Iraq would see what they were up against and back down. But Iraq refused to pull back from the Saudi border or leave Kuwait.

Even though Bush had a military background, he didn't second guess his generals. He gave them what they wanted, which was a buildup so massive that the "war" only lasted 100 hours. Iraq was hurt enough that it wouldn't try the same thing again. It was done the right way, and accomplished the mission quickly and with minimum casualties.

All of this with a one term president.

"why didn't he win a second term like most presidents do? "

A combination of Bush getting slammed badly by the media, and Ross Perot getting close to 20% of the popular vote, which is a huge amount for a third party.

0|1
    0|0
    • Wow, I was googling everything you said and it seems like you cleared up all the bullshit.

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 6

• He was very intelligent in many ways, but he pandered to the religious right. I felt he was not a good choice for America. I don't hate the man though, and I didn't feel like I had to sully him when he died.

0|1
    0|0
  • No such thing as a perfect president but its silly to assume he was a bad president just cause some random person said it... Google him its easy

0|1
    0|0
    • I tried researching him but all the research seems biased, and I'm not the one saying he's bad I actually know almost nothing about him and I'm wondering if some older people can tell me about him.

• There are books about him you can get for free online most likely not sure where to help you there but i mean why an older person? You dont have to be a person who lived around his time to know who he was...

• I thought people who lived around his presidency would know more about him.

• The people that praise one of the ruling members of the illuminati
    Are the people we as Americans need to be after.

Obama, Clinton, Bush
    ROTHSCHILD, Rockefeller Casoros...

by the way

TRUMP CLEARED OF ALL CHARGES BY MULLER INVESTIGATION
    36MILLION DOLLAR WITCH HUNT FALLS SHORT

0|0
    0|0
  • he was our first president

0|0
    0|0
  • lol i guess ivebeen living in a cave

0|0
    0|0
  • Bush was in a strange spot during his term. He had a approval rating in the 90% range after the Gulf War in 1991. Then he dropped fast in 1992 because the economy was bad and it seemed he did not know or understand what to do to help the ordinary person. That is why Clinton was elected.

0|1
    0|0
    • Didn't that happen to his son too? Wasn't George W's approval rating at 94% when he sent troops to the middle east after 9/11 and his approval rating crumbled during his 2nd term? Hmmm

• Ya George W had declared victory in the middle east way too early and then he was part of the Great Recession problem when he allowed deregulation of certain parts of banks.

What Guys Said 10

• I didn’t necessarily agree with the guy’s beliefs, and I’m not really into the whole idea of countries and government to start with, so any politician is just some rando participating in a system I don’t really acknowledge, but for people who do buy into that, he had a pretty accomplished life. In any case, I wait til any body has decomposed a bit before I start talking shit about them.

0|1
    0|0
  • Not a bad guy or evil, but he was a globalist and new world order guy and I dont believe a true Christian. He was made by a corrupt system and could be weak in making decisions. He had economical problems when he went away from supply side economics. I think he knew JFK was going to be killed and did nothing to stop it.

0|1
    0|0
  • He fought honourable in ww2 and spanked Bart Simpson but he also was the director of the CIA so it's hard to say

0|1
    0|0
  • Some folks hate him, that is for sure. I find it hilarious that those who hated him are coming out of the woodwork. Bush 41 had his flaws. But he was good on foreign policy. He had to manage a change in policy with the dawn of the age of the one superpower. He had to transition when the Berlin Wall fell and we had to deal with a united Germany again. While the reasons for starting the first Gulf war were problematic, at least he didn't keep us in a conflict that has lasted for decades. It was an in and out operation.

He didn't win a second term because many Americans back then did not trust Republicans to run the economy. We entered a recession under his term. Strangely enough, this will probably be one of the reasons why Trump won't be re-elected. Since the deficit has grown and we are probably heading into another recession within a year or so.

0|0
    1|0
  • He undermined our country as did his dad and sons. I'll never ever vote for another Bush as long as i live.

0|0
    0|0
  • No he was a great guy.

0|0
    0|0
  • he was a devil

0|1
    0|0
  • Bush was a great president. He lost the reelection bid in 1992 due to a combination of two things? A recession had occurred just prior to the election and he had backtracked on his previous campaign promise of no new taxes.

0|1
    0|0
  • George H. W. Bush was a patriot and military asset to the country. Don't speak ill of the dead.

0|0
    0|0
  • but once a president has left office , there role changes and people aren't upset about the things they did as president. people view formr politicians much differently than those currently in office

lots of politicians don't win a second term , one of the reasons he lost was there was a major economic recession in the early 90's so economy wasn't good when his second election took place and so he lost

0|1
    0|0

Recommended myTakes