Why are some people lying and/or disingenuous when they thank a veteran for their service?

This is one of the things that bothers me, because I witness fake fucks thanking veterans for their service and/or saying how much they’ve had to sacrifice, just to look good and virtue signal. If you don’t mean it, don’t say it, and don’t say something so generic that has been regurgitated by the masses because it comes of as FAKE and disingenuous. I see this a lot when liberal/left-leaning individuals who probably have an overall negative outlook on the military and/or military culture want to look unbiased and fair so they say something that sounds and looks so fake and dishonest that it’s baffling no one calls out these liars. Every veteran is different and you don’t know what they’ve had to go through and or sacrifice and lying about being truly grateful for their service is pathetic and unwarranted to me. This is my opinion.
Updates:
Yes, but all you have to do is google that virus software and someone else does it for you... I don’t see the difference there, at least not significantly. You also have to have your room cleaned and ordered properly for inspection in the military and you’re not allowed certain things and you’re not allowed to do certain things even during the weekends. You’re set to a higher standard above the average civilian, and while civilians have their responsibilities, they can orchestrate them based

2|0

Most Helpful Girl

• Some people genuinely mean it (usually older vets). When it’s delivered as a scripted line, it comes across perfunctory and insincere. When traveling in uniform at airport departure gates for example, I heard “thank you for your service” so many times it was robotic. Every once in a while someone would just say “hooah” and be done with it.

0|1
    0|0
    • I think it’s more obligatory and pressure than anything else.

• Show All
    • I think it’s become a way of saying “I/we support our troops” just like yellow ribbons and support the troops window stickers. It’s become pretty cliche though. A lot like saying “have a nice day” as an expression of politeness, when most people really don’t care how your day goes.

Most Helpful Guys

• same reason people ask people how they're doing... no one cares, but it's customary. i figure most people don't actually mean it... or they do mean it. I don't know but i'm not gonna get butthurt about it. people can do what they want. it's not hurting anyone, and the very least, has a good intent. i do find, or a bit ironic considering a lot of vets seem to hate it. but i have a bigger problem where we treat veterans like piñatas by using them as proxies but that's a discussion for another day

0|1
    0|0
    • Yeah, using veterans as pieces of virtual signaling to tell other people “hey, I support the troops” when you really don’t, just to get a favorable support from people. It’s fake, it’s lying, so that’s why I don’t like it.

• it's pretty much the reason i hate most modern warfare movies. i saw the promo for "thank you for your service" and i about lost my shit...

• I agree that it comes across as fake.

This trend came about because of guilt over how Vietnam veterans were treated. Years later, even people who treated the returning vets badly realized how unfair it was. People were against the war, but they took it out on the people who were drafted and had no choice.

I was against the war also, but I think I was a bit realistic about it. A lot of the people back then lived in a fantasy world and really believed the troops on the ground were responsible for the continuation of the war. They actually thought when those guys saw the enemy, they just had to lay down their weapons, and the enemy would do the same, and everyone would have a big group hug. Therefore the veterans themselves were responsible for the war.

They later learned how naive that was and developed guilt over it. So all the "Thank you for serving your country" stuff is really a way of saying "Never again will returning war veterans be treated so badly."

While I think it's usually phony and insincere, it's a hell of a lot better than what was done before.

0|1
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 4

• They have accomplished nothing in life and are reaching for any type of accomplishment. You should feel sorry for them. They are sick and sometimes even delusional. Not everyone can be plm. Also, nothing is hotter than a conservative man

0|2
    0|0
  • I agfss. It is indeed pathetic. I wish they just keep their mouth shut instead.

0|1
    0|0
  • I would assume it's just out of general respect and because they don't wanna look like a dick in public.
    Cordiality I guess

0|2
    0|0
  • i dont understand English im muslim

0|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 16

• haven't seen that in person, probably in the media when people challenge politically someone with a military hat or jacket, right?

There is an emotional divide, showing up as political divice, not all unlike 60's treatment of vietnam vets... baby killers!!! they'd yell. People don't respect that force is required sometimes for freedom, they think everyone gets along, are friends like they are, socially sensitive. They'd rather leave the door open that anyone come in, work out differences and cooperate. Its submission vs boundary holding. It's kinda the the left view of "were all in this together". These types don't take well to military as military is force, killing, power. They don't like power or control?

I'd have to think more, on the why's, hows, real makeup of emotional stuff going on. But, that is why their thank is disingenuous because they don't respect the institution, nor their view of what they do.

Its emotional barrier. But what lies under that and why and how do we fix it. humm... its a big mess. I think experience is a great teacher, put them on the front lines of a conflict and see if they can do better...

0|0
    0|0
  • I don’t see why politeness is considered a negative thing these days. You’re better off just avoiding contact with humans these days it seems like. Nobody in the world knows what you’ve been through but yourself, however some people at least acknowledge the fact that you were in the military and will comment on it. If you can’t fathom people lying to your face then don’t wear your uniform everywhere you go in public.

0|1
    0|0
  • Because of being cordial. It's what people do when they are in public. Even if I hate your guts and would remove them from your body and strangle you with your intestines, I will still act cordial in front of you simply because I consider myself a decent human being.
    Probably the same thing. Cordiality.

0|0
    0|0
  • The virtue signallers on both sides are annoying. You get the ones on the left who you can tell like 3 weeks before they decided to become a politician were marching around calling every cop or soldier a fascist. And you have ones in the right like trump who... like has he actually visited military in the field once in 2 years? He makes fun of PoW for being losers while personally retreating from the rains attack on his combover on Veterans Day.

You can tell who really means it.

0|1
    0|0
  • I dislike veterans who think they must be venerated automatically for their service. Get the F outta here u still need to earn respect in these streets I don't kno u and why r u asking me for money right now and probably lying about even being a veteran? Haha this bothers me

0|0
    0|0
  • Because some people are obsessed with climbing up the social status ladder, even if it comes at the cost of truth.

2|1
    0|0
  • Because goddamnit, you thank a veteran for their service. The only time I have ever been “disingenuous” thanking a veteran for their service was when said veteran was dishonourably discharged, because said veteran is a shit person.

0|0
    0|0
  • You don't know if they are lying. Some people can show zero emotions and be very grateful within.

0|1
    0|0
  • Chosen to go through not had to go through. People aren't being conscripted into the military at the moment.

0|0
    0|0
    • What does that have to do with anything? Does that make it less of a service? Of course not. Even if individuals choose to enlist or commission into the military, they still HAVE to go through the requirements, training, and lifestyle that entails their position. It seems like an arbitrary point to make, but if you want to argue whether they choose to go or not, then you can argue that the individuals of the former knowingly volunteer/ agree to take on the risks of their job

• Show All
    • No. There are bad ideas but people who don't know any better and haven't been presented any good ideas can't be blamed for following those bad ideas.

• The answer to bad ideas should not be war it should be education.

• Feels like an obligation kinda like saying "I'm good, how are you" whenever someone greets you.

0|0
    0|0
  • Free reputation boost
    Why not I guess? 🤷

0|1
    0|0
  • How do you know it isn't genuine?

0|1
    0|0
  • That is your Democrats and Liberals.

0|0
    0|0
  • Thank you for your service to Israel.

0|0
    0|0
  • To be honest don't care about them at all. You went into service for your self for your own selfish reason

0|1
    0|1
    • At least your honest and you’re not entirely wrong too. A lot of of individuals go into it for their own motivations/self-serving reasons. It’s not bad or good to go into it because of yourself, it’s what it is.

• I mean they just people I don't worship or kiss ass of anyone.

I also heard that they hate when people say thank for your service. I got 2 friends who served. I'm thankful for them I guess

• Ya it’s a huge problem. 🙄

1|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes