Why are some people lying and/or disingenuous when they thank a veteran for their service?

This is one of the things that bothers me, because I witness fake fucks thanking veterans for their service and/or saying how much they’ve had to sacrifice, just to look good and virtue signal. If you don’t mean it, don’t say it, and don’t say something so generic that has been regurgitated by the masses because it comes of as FAKE and disingenuous. I see this a lot when liberal/left-leaning individuals who probably have an overall negative outlook on the military and/or military culture want to look unbiased and fair so they say something that sounds and looks so fake and dishonest that it’s baffling no one calls out these liars. Every veteran is different and you don’t know what they’ve had to go through and or sacrifice and lying about being truly grateful for their service is pathetic and unwarranted to me. This is my opinion.
Yes, but all you have to do is google that virus software and someone else does it for you... I don’t see the difference there, at least not significantly. You also have to have your room cleaned and ordered properly for inspection in the military and you’re not allowed certain things and you’re not allowed to do certain things even during the weekends. You’re set to a higher standard above the average civilian, and while civilians have their responsibilities, they can orchestrate them based

518

Most Helpful Girl

• Some people genuinely mean it (usually older vets). When it’s delivered as a scripted line, it comes across perfunctory and insincere. When traveling in uniform at airport departure gates for example, I heard “thank you for your service” so many times it was robotic. Every once in a while someone would just say “hooah” and be done with it.

• I think it’s more obligatory and pressure than anything else.

• I think it’s become a way of saying “I/we support our troops” just like yellow ribbons and support the troops window stickers. It’s become pretty cliche though. A lot like saying “have a nice day” as an expression of politeness, when most people really don’t care how your day goes.

Most Helpful Guys

• same reason people ask people how they're doing... no one cares, but it's customary. i figure most people don't actually mean it... or they do mean it. I don't know but i'm not gonna get butthurt about it. people can do what they want. it's not hurting anyone, and the very least, has a good intent. i do find, or a bit ironic considering a lot of vets seem to hate it. but i have a bigger problem where we treat veterans like piñatas by using them as proxies but that's a discussion for another day

• Yeah, using veterans as pieces of virtual signaling to tell other people “hey, I support the troops” when you really don’t, just to get a favorable support from people. It’s fake, it’s lying, so that’s why I don’t like it.

• it's pretty much the reason i hate most modern warfare movies. i saw the promo for "thank you for your service" and i about lost my shit...

• I agree that it comes across as fake.

This trend came about because of guilt over how Vietnam veterans were treated. Years later, even people who treated the returning vets badly realized how unfair it was. People were against the war, but they took it out on the people who were drafted and had no choice.

I was against the war also, but I think I was a bit realistic about it. A lot of the people back then lived in a fantasy world and really believed the troops on the ground were responsible for the continuation of the war. They actually thought when those guys saw the enemy, they just had to lay down their weapons, and the enemy would do the same, and everyone would have a big group hug. Therefore the veterans themselves were responsible for the war.

They later learned how naive that was and developed guilt over it. So all the "Thank you for serving your country" stuff is really a way of saying "Never again will returning war veterans be treated so badly."

While I think it's usually phony and insincere, it's a hell of a lot better than what was done before.