Do you think I'm racist?

I'm racist and why/why not?

About my views:
I think everyone should get the same rights and opportunities, and that the human's rights should be respected. I do however have preferences in dating. I can find people of all phenotype attractive, but tends to get more attracted to South-Europeans, Asians, Middle-eastern and South-Americans when it comes to physical appearance. When it comes to culture I've strongly preferences for a Nordic culture and skeptical to date outside of my culture. I think cultural appropriation is okay and not racist. If people wants to dress up as a native American on a costume party, it's up to them. I also think none-blacks should be allowed to wear dreadlocks like blacks and that blacks should be allowed to straightening their hair like everyone else. I also don't see most South-Europeans as white, but a tan or brown version of Europeans.

I think people should be happy with the way they looks, but that transracial people shouldn't get the hate they gets. If someone wants to bleach or tan, it's up to them. If people can undergo cosmetic surgeries, getting tattoos, piercings and dying their hair, then they can tan or bleach if they wants to.

When it comes to immigration and refugee politics I think it should go very slowly and that no countries should take in too many of them at the same time/ too short period of time. It's not only because of resources, but many immigrants/refugees have conservative views when it comes to women's rights and aren't very democratic. None-compatible cultures makes it more difficult for both parts to adapt to each others. I'm talking of culture and traditions only in the immigration politics.

#Racist #Racism
Was called a racist by an anonymous!
Was called a racist by an anonymous!
Updates:
2d
It's hilarious so many assumes I'm white because I'm an ethnic Norwegian. Living in Norway my entire life, having Norwegian as my mother tongue and following the Norwegian culture don't automatically make me white. International adoption and biracial relationships are a thing. I'm the first mentioned. Not every Norwegians are white.

0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 21

• Ehh I don't think I'd flat out call you a racist but a couple of your views are a bit problematic, especially depending on how far you'd take them.
    The cultural appropriation part is problematic because some people have been harassed, bullied and even murdered for their culture, and to then cherry pick certain aspects of that culture because they look "cool" or "edgy" without even acknowledging the original the meaning or importance, is disgusting. Like, imagine walking up to a piece of historical artwork, say Mona Lisa or whatever, and drawing dicks all over it in sharpie. Then you steal it and hang it in your own apartment, because you think it looks dope now that it has a bunch of dicks on it. It's offensive and you're ruining a part of someone else's culture and history. Except that people actually died because they belonged to that certain minority culture.
    As for being attracted to certain people, I guess you can't really help it. But it also sort of depends why you think they're unattractive? Like, is it because you just don't find certain facial features or body types attractive, or is it because you genuinely believe *all* of the people belonging to a certain race look ugly to you, due to a deeply rooted prejudice in you? Do you believe, on some level, that they are beneath you? It really depends on what you feel deep down.

4|0
    0|3
    • 2d

Holy guacamole. That is some serious mental gymnastics. I don't think any of those examples of cultural appropriation have any logical connection with each other. You may need to work on your definition there.

• Show All
    • 1d

Sawno
      lol

• 1d

smeg
      Kinda, forgot you said anything. It gets kinda overwhelming keeping up with all the messages.

You bring up a good subject though. I may disagree that appropriation is taking place in certain areas like that, or maybe it is except what I wanted to bring up is how this theoretical concept insinuates faukt, blame and condemnation. If it were a nuetral term and didn't insinuate racism than I think it would be viable. Its the moral arguments it makes that flushes it down the drain.

• You're white, so yes. Automatic racist lol jk

I agree with most of everything you said. I don't find cultural appropriation racist, everyone has preferences including racial, etc.

1|2
    1|0
  • I do a simple checklist for racial bias. I next to NEVER use the term "racist"
    Pass with yes on at least 6 questions to declare yourself racially unbiased in my opinion.
    1) Can a minority date/marry your daughter/son?
    2) Could you have biracial grandchildren?
    3) Can a minority be your boss, CEO, manager?
    4) Can a minority be your neighbor?
    5) Can a minority have a nicer house, or anicer car without you feeling some type of way?
    6) Can a minority make more money than you without you feeling a certain type of way?
    7) Do you truly understand the meaning behind minority lives matter?
    8) Do you listen to and attempt to understand how the minority experience is INDEED different from that of our white neighbors?
    9) Are you comfortable in confined areas around minorities?
    10) Do you understand that the news is a business pushing an agenda that reports based on shock value, and fear mongering?

2|1
    0|0
    • 2d

Feels like the OP isn't as open as he thinks he is with immigrants and refugees tbh 😳

• Show All
    • 2d

You guys don’t have to answer me. Just a thought i thought I would put out there. This is more for yourselves.

• 2d

Meh, the discussions are fun. If it's offensive or bothering than I apologize it but its not meant to be too asinine. But likewise, our response are for the others and not ourselves. Dont have to engage if you dont want to.

Just think its counter intuitive to not want feedback, and perhaps untrue that you wouldn't invite discussion.

• You're not a racist, the people like the one who called you one like to throw it around as a nice buzzword to get people to attack a person that they don't like.

0|3
    0|1
  • nope i don't think you're racist. But there's something i really wonder, I'm living in Turkey (located in eurasia but the bigger part in asia) and in there we don't really care about skin colour. thats why I sometimes feel like western people/ europeans are obsessed with white skin colour. why? i mean i find this idea so senseless, whats the point?

0|1
    0|0
  • You’re not racist for having personal preferences and seeing cultural differences.

1|2
    0|0
  • Tbh you’re not racist. You just understanding and acknowledging human ethnicity and different cultures around the world.

0|3
    0|0
  • you seem a white supremist person so sure you are racist

0|0
    0|1
  • You’re not racist.

0|3
    0|0
  • Nah man

0|1
    0|0
  • No. You sound normal.

0|1
    0|0
  • That’s not racist. I agreed with your views

0|1
    0|0
  • Nawwwwwww

0|2
    0|0
  • Maybe

0|0
    0|0
  • Nah cultural appropriation is not okay. Black people have been put through hell because of their hairstyles like dreads and afros. For years and even to this day people put down black people that wear dreads but all of a sudden a white person gets dreads and it’s fine... like nahh that’s not how it works. And black people can have naturally straight hair or blonde hair too so...

1|0
    1|2
    • 2d

Thats not really how I see it, I see it more as more people not caring and adapting the culture as they are taking a liking to it. Thats process into a future where we are all united instead of a life where you can't wear or like whatever you want because of the color of your skin.

• Show All
    • 2d

If that's how it works, then blacks and east-Asians shouldn't be allowed to wear denim jeans either because of it being an European invention. The Iphone was invented by mostly European-Americans. Skiing was invented by Norwegians and Swedes.

With that logic I could also justifying me doing cultural appropriation where I'm eating with chop sticks, because although I'm Norwegian, I can pass as a Chinese. But I couldn't participate in my own culture because I don't look like my "brothers and sisters".

If cultural appropriation was forbidden, a segregation would happen.

• apologies but there isn't any such thing as tan complexion. Some people tan in the summer as a result to sun exposure. Depending on the melanin you have on your skin, you can have porcelain or very pale skin, fair skin, medium skin (which is neither light or dark), and then brown and very dark skin.

Then you also have cool, warm or medium undertones. This refers to the natural colors underneath the surface of your skin and is different than your skin complexion. Generally people with cool undertones have blue wrists and look better in silver jewellery and cool colors like icy blue, pink, purple etc. People with warm undertones have more of green wrists and look better in gold jewellery and warm colors such as orange, yellow, olive, khaki green etc.

Now a person can have fair skin but warm/golden undertones in their complexion. Blake lively is such an example. She has blond hair, blue eyes and fair skin but a golden/warm hue in her complexion. Also a person can have dark skin with cool undertones such as Lupita Nyongo. What you call as tan is technically most of the time fair or medium skin people with warm undertones

Now what is considered white or not is a matter of interpretation. Someone for example, called me brown yesterday (I'm like Blake Lively, blond, blue eyes and same skin) but when I was looking for a foundation the salesgirl said I'm fair with warm undertones and gave me a foundation for that

I found this interesting so I thought of commenting :)

0|1
    0|0
    • 2d

I think your points are interesting and well explained.

I've a complicated way on how I define someone as white, brown, black etc. I don't put the facial features in considerations when "labeling", but rather look at the color. I see light skinned people with blonde/orange/hazel/extreme light brunette with either blue/gray/green eyes as white. It's because of they looks lighter and have less pigmentation than darker people. People with dark brown or black hair, brown eyes and a brown like skin (regardless of it's French light or Congolese black) are none-white and dark in my opinion. So an albino African may be white for me. I've some exception. If the skin is African dark, but the eyes is blue/green/gray and they've blonde hair, I may still consider them dark. I may also still consider some white if they're blonde, light-skinned and brown eyed. It depends on how much pigments it seems like they've. And we've the in the betweens.

• Show All
    • 2d

Anyway it doesn't matter that much

• 2d

When I use the term "dark" or "brown", I can talk of hundred different shades and sees it as "the dark spectrum". The lightest brown and dark is South-Europeans and the darkest are sub-Saharan Africans. When I talk of "whites", I talk of people with little pigmentation in their bodies and that's closest to white. I don't only see on someone's skin color, but also looks at their hair and eye colors. Someone can have a lot of pigments in their bodies, but it's distributed in a way so it's more in the hair than other places on the body.

Albinos looks the closest to white for me. For me it doesn't matter if it's a disorder or not that causes it, because they looks white and therefor "white" is an adjective that describes them well.

• Didn't read but yes because your white.

1|1
    3|8
  • No duh you aren’t racist. But whites wearing dreadlocks is a horrible idea.

1|0
    3|2
    • 2d

I don't like dreadlocks at all regardless of who are wearing them. It don't look good at anyone and looks like forests on someone's head.

• Show All
    • 2d

Honestly they don’t even have the proper hair texture for dreads, shit looks ridiculous

• 2d

Yepp 🤣👌

• Culture appropriation also 'depends'. It can be a fine line between appropriation and appreciation. I'd get offended if someone wears our traditional clothes in a drunk frat party lol. It CAN be degrading/offensive to some people. That's where the botton line stands.

If what you do can potentially hurt someone, or whatever, then just don't!! It's not so hard to just pick something else!

Other than that, culture preferences and dating preferences is NOT being racist.

Racism comes from a belief of superiority on other races.

And refusing a safe haven for refugees despite their beliefs is xenophobic of you but not racist.

If you live in a privileged developed country that prides itself on multiculturalism and freedom, immigrants and refugees are allowed to have a chance at it too.

The only reason why you're in a *good* country, it's a "chance of birth".
    If you were born in any war country, you would've wanted a better chance of life for you and your kids. That's what immigrants and refugees want.

Plus! Most borders are political.

Sidenote: most white Europeans/americans often hate the word "racist" and tend to do whatever to prove they're not.

If you had to censor or omit ANYTHING in your description, anything that would've been inclined towards racist opinions, you probably are.

0|1
    1|1
  • You’re not racist

0|2
    0|0
  • That’s not racist in my opinion. I agree with everything you said too! Especially the costumes thing, I’m Native American myself and I couldn’t care less about what people dress up at for Halloween.

0|2
    0|0
    • 2d

My best friend don't like cultural appropriation either and he would be offended if someone dressed as the culture from his home city on a costume party. I don't find a fisherman costume with the city name on it as offensive though and I'm from the same city.

What Guys Said 36

• No, you're not a racist. Those are all reasonable opinions.

In the case of cultural appropriation, I'd say it's also a matter of time and place. Like with everything, there is a good time for stuff like and a bad time. Generally speaking cultural appropriation isn't racist. It's not racist to go to a costume party and dress up as a Native American. However, if you go visit a Native American tribe in their reserve (maybe even spend the night there), which I have done, please don't dress up that way. It may not exactly be racist but it certainly would come across as mocking.
    I mean... it's very simple. Just act according to common sense and you'll be fine.

0|1
    0|0
  • You sound very much like the common rational man. No racism is present here. Just someone who dares to have a preference in a society striving for an ideal that aligns with those in his society. There is absolutely nothing wrong with this and its something we need to defend.

0|1
    1|0
    • 2d

An anonymous GAGer shared a picture of a celebrity and said she found her white. I said I was disagree and that I thought she looked brown. Kinda typically Hispanic/Latina. Then she called me "racist" for "not recognizing that white people comes in different colors". She asked the question and I answered honestly. I found that woman brown looking although she found her white. I said I talked from my point of views and seen people who are much lighter in Scandinavia. I just perceives colors different than her. I think the woman she posted a picture of is beautiful though.

• 2d

She also reported my opinion and it got removed from the admin. She also asked why brown people looks light skinned and if they bleached themselves. I answered some bleach themselves and others don't.

• 2d

This is all incredibly subjective, the fact we have a discussion over what is white and what is black only demonstrates the rediciously limited debate since ironically enough it isn't that black and white. So why is it black and white? Because people genuinely never cared enough to make better distinctions and quite frankly we shouldn't need to.

• Yes, you are racist. But being a racist is not necessarily a bad thing. It depends on which ways you are racist. You are racist, but in a good way, not in a evil way like the KKK or something like that. Don't let labels dictate how you live your life. We are all racist in some ways. No big deal.

0|0
    1|1
    • 2d

How am I racist?

• Show All
    • 2d

Thats kinda silly. Don't you think racism must include the act of unfair prejudicism? The connotation of the word racist leaves the impression that the racist is awful, implying the definition includes an awful act to occur. Like, I suppose there's some unfairness attributed to being selective in preferences but thats untrue once examing the nuances and it still doesn't incorporate a bad act occured.

• 2d

Are you dumb fam

• No you're not. Also anyone who calls a guy like you a racist is likely an actual racist. It's pretty funny to me how most Trump supporters in the US would agree with most if not everything you said, yet somehow they're labeled as racists. Don't let the lunacy of raving ideologues get to you. You're well within reason.

0|1
    0|0
  • Who cares you are racist or not.
    To survive in epoch that we living in right now we need racism to prevent our culture and language. I am racist and proud.

0|0
    0|2
    • 2d

What do you mean that you are racist? Do you believe that you are superior to other people because of your race or ethnicity?

• 2d

@OnlyYouKnowThat, ethnicity is language and cultural belonging, but phenotype is "race". So you can hate on an ethnicity without being racist and you can hate on a race without hating a specific ethnic group.

• All people have racial cognitive patterns/preferences. It's a subjective label where on the spectrum to call it "racist". But I don't know, your long-winded babble was like: I'm honest and brave, but I'm going to equivocate non-stop to make myself sound acceptable.

0|0
    0|0
  • Well said! and if saying that makes you racist then clearly that would make many of us racist no matter what you say today people will always disagree with your views.
    But adding to that I also believe women should have the same rights as men. Example being wages and career opportunities. But then I think men should have the rights women have when it comes to children and the law.
    I hope I live too see the day we all become truly equal society but I don't see that happening any time soon.

0|1
    0|0
  • Don't worry, I know not all Norwegians are white cuz my cousin is in Norway and got taken from his parents and now he is in care for the last fucking 6 years (he is 16 now) so he has a Norwegian passport but still you guys got some strict ass laws.

0|1
    0|0
  • There is no such thing as racism when it comes to sexual preference, unless you voice it with the intent to make another person feel bad, even then, I don’t think it would legally be considered racism.

0|1
    0|0
  • To me it thats no racist, its your preference, not because of hate or other issue and dislike them all.

0|1
    0|0
  • You're not racist, and even if you are you seem well mannered enough and reasonable so I wouldn't care

0|1
    0|0
  • I agree with everything you said. And by definition, you are not racist.

0|1
    0|0
  • Everything seems fine but the cultural appropriation part isn't okay because doing it for a Halloween party is just going to enable people that are flat out racist and it gets me so angry when I saw somebody mocking my cultural and religious background

0|0
    0|0
  • who cares just keep your hands to yourself... and take these immigrants with you so my city can be less populated and ugly.

0|0
    1|0
    • 2d

Many of the immigrants are quite good looking, but many are conservatives and it's difficult for both parts to adapt if it goes too fast. I do support helping refugees, but I just think we've to do it in the right pace. Going too fast isn't a good idea.

• I'm super liberal and I don't think you're racist. To be racist means you must have a pre-existing bias or assumption against a certain people.

0|1
    0|0
  • Remove the ambiguity and provide a solid definition of racism and the possible answers becomes binary and particular to your questionthe answer is no. It's as easy as that.

I also wanted to point out that the only concievable racism here is in the abstract and the notion that one is racist if they have biological preferences to a race or likewise is almost always a psychological phenomena not an idealogical one. Those inherentances are determined by biological input and subconscious impluses, not a inclination to racial bias.

0|1
    0|0
  • So basically are attracted to non-nordic people but don't want to date outside nordic culture.

Genius.

0|0
    0|0
    • 1d

I'm attracted to Nordic culture, but when it comes to physical appearance I'm attracted to South-European, Asian, Middle-eastern and South-American appearances. With international adoption and genes from the 1700s immigration from South-Europe it still exists Norwegians with a Nordic culture, but a dark appearance. They may be a minority on under 10%, but they do exist. I can still date people with a Nordic appearance, but I'm very picky and it's difficult to find. There aren't many in real life who looks like the celebrities.

• No, well you're right about many things you say even if they sound racist sometimes, they're true

0|1
    0|0
  • Why would you care if you’re racist? You’re far too moderate on pretty every point, actually, but you’re going in the right direction.

0|0
    0|0
  • Who said this?

0|1
    0|0
    • 2d

Anonymously users on GAG. I don't know their usernames. One of them said I was racist because I thought a woman she posted a picture of looked brown, but she said she was white and that me not recognizing that white women also looks like that are racist. She asked me and I gave a honest answer. I perceives colors differently than what she do. Maybe because I lives in Scandinavia or maybe because my eyes and brain are differently wired.

• 2d

You know what they say about anons

• I wouldn't qualify it as being racist no

0|1
    0|0
  • No you are not racist dude.

0|1
    0|0
  • Nope

0|1
    0|0
  • Nope

1|1
    0|0
  • Racist is an overused / misused label !!

0|1
    0|0
  • No...

0|1
    0|0
  • I don't think you are

0|1
    0|0
  • Nope

0|1
    0|0
  • yes... the racistest!