Should comedians be allowed to be offensive? Only some?

Personally, I don't find Kevin Hart funny. HOWEVER, I don't think as a comedian, he should be punished for his jokes.
I will say this, the black (and Latino) community is notoriously anti LGBT - but that's a whole other discussion for another time.

I do find it almost hilariously ironic how many people, especially black people, are upset that he's facing repercussions. Not too long ago, Roseanne Barr had her show canceled for making a racist joke. I don't find Roseanne funny either, and I didn't like her show, but I don't think that it should've been cancelled. I'm fine with it being cancelled, because you're free to say what you want, but you're not free from the consequences. I just don't think limiting comedians to "social justice" is a good idea simply because someone will always be offended. Even within groups, people will be offended while others aren't. Iggy Azalea made jokes that Mexican women are shaped like refrigerators, I found it funny but fucked up. Some of my friends were pissed.

I guess this is what conservatives mean when they say "the left is eating itself".
I remember seeing a video where Ana Kasparian said that pretty much it's ok to "punch up, not down". Basically, in the social ladder, it's ok to joke against those doing better than you, not worse. So if you made a joke against your boss, it's funny. But if your boss made a joke against you, it's cruel. I can see why, but I don't really agree with most of it because it lumps all people of certain identities. And what happens when you have multiple identities that "conflict in power"? Like is it ok for Muslim, cis, straight men to joke about atheist, lesbian, women? It's just too much confusion that would be remedied if it's either everyone or no one. (I'm pro free speech, so I think everyone should be allowed.)

TLDR: So in your opinion, should comedians be allowed to be offensive? Should we only allow some - "punch up, not down"? Should no one be allowed?

Offensive comedy strikes again
Offensive comedy strikes again
  • Yes, all comedians regardless of identity (black, white, liberal, conservative, man, woman, etc)
  • Yes, but only some jokes/comedians (punch up, not down)
  • No. Nobody nor any joke should be offensive (against black, LGBTQ, Muslims, women etc)
    Vote C

316