Should comedians be allowed to be offensive? Only some?

Personally, I don't find Kevin Hart funny. HOWEVER, I don't think as a comedian, he should be punished for his jokes.
I will say this, the black (and Latino) community is notoriously anti LGBT - but that's a whole other discussion for another time.

I do find it almost hilariously ironic how many people, especially black people, are upset that he's facing repercussions. Not too long ago, Roseanne Barr had her show canceled for making a racist joke. I don't find Roseanne funny either, and I didn't like her show, but I don't think that it should've been cancelled. I'm fine with it being cancelled, because you're free to say what you want, but you're not free from the consequences. I just don't think limiting comedians to "social justice" is a good idea simply because someone will always be offended. Even within groups, people will be offended while others aren't. Iggy Azalea made jokes that Mexican women are shaped like refrigerators, I found it funny but fucked up. Some of my friends were pissed.

I guess this is what conservatives mean when they say "the left is eating itself".
I remember seeing a video where Ana Kasparian said that pretty much it's ok to "punch up, not down". Basically, in the social ladder, it's ok to joke against those doing better than you, not worse. So if you made a joke against your boss, it's funny. But if your boss made a joke against you, it's cruel. I can see why, but I don't really agree with most of it because it lumps all people of certain identities. And what happens when you have multiple identities that "conflict in power"? Like is it ok for Muslim, cis, straight men to joke about atheist, lesbian, women? It's just too much confusion that would be remedied if it's either everyone or no one. (I'm pro free speech, so I think everyone should be allowed.)

TLDR: So in your opinion, should comedians be allowed to be offensive? Should we only allow some - "punch up, not down"? Should no one be allowed?

Offensive comedy strikes again
Offensive comedy strikes again
  • Yes, all comedians regardless of identity (black, white, liberal, conservative, man, woman, etc)
    Vote A
  • Yes, but only some jokes/comedians (punch up, not down)
    Vote B
  • No. Nobody nor any joke should be offensive (against black, LGBTQ, Muslims, women etc)
    Vote C
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

1|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 16

• Yeah, I mean, I’m of the mind that almost nothing is off limits for jokes. Like that’s comedy, you make light of whatever, even horrible or supposedly sacred things. It’s gotta be done right, but at the end of the day, words are just words. If we took this much offense to actual actions with real life repercussions, we’d really have something, haha.

As you alluded to, black and Latino communities, at least in my experience, are not very lgbt-friendly, I think largely due to religious influences. Yet both are marginalized groups... so this was an eventual collision of contradiction the PC World was going to come to. I’m interested to see how it pans out, haha. I’m not very big on political correctness, I’m just big on mutual respect between groups. I don’t really have a dog in the fight (whoops, sorry, PETA😂). I didn’t really care for the Roseanne Barr joke, I’m not “offended” per se, but that felt a little more like it came from a place of racism, but I might be getting set off about the “apes” aspect. I mean, I don’t even know the lady she referred to, she might just look like she’s from The Planet of The Apes, in which case, that’s mean-spirited but funny. If it’s meant to liken black folks to apes in general, that’s fucked up, but I’m still not sure we need to be policing it on grand scale. Say what you say, people take it how they want, and they can take a swing at you or boycott your show or whatever, that’s life. You do what you do, they do what they do, and you can’t really protect either side.

I guess I relate more to the “homophobic” jokes. I’m from Boston, guys from Boston around my age grew up calling each other f*ggot, h0m0, “queeah”, fairy, etc, myself very much included. All of a sudden, that seems to be a HUGE faux pas. That’s a problem for me, because I have no homophobic connotation to it, I just mean it like someone is being soft or a sissy or unmanly or whatever you want to call it. Like I would NEVER call someone that in a homophobic manner, I’d never say those things to someone I knew to be gay, and I’d punch anyone who said it for that reason to an actual gay person, even if both were strangers, that’s fucked up and i’d step right in. But if I tell my straight buddy to stop being a f*ggot, that seems like it should be fair game, that’s not the context I’m using, regardless of where it was once derived from. TODAY, in MY vernacular, which I reserve and retain all rights of defining the meaning and intention of any word I say, it...

1|1
    0|0
    • 1d

... I just means he needs to sack up and stop being soft. I mean, I have lesbian aunt I love to death, one of my best buddies from college is gay, the guy who cuts my hair is gay as a May daisy and he’s one of the best human beings on the planet in my opinion. I know that sounds like “I have MANY (insert group) friends...”, but I seriously have no problem with and moreover SUPPORT LGBT rights and all that. Get married, live life with all the benefits and drawbacks we all have, I’m totally on board with all that. I’m the biggest “do you” person out there. I guess in a nutshell I just really resent the idea of anyone telling me, not only what I can or can’t say, but what I MEAN by saying it. And the flip side is some gay guy can walk up and punch me if he doesn’t like it. And I wouldn’t swing back on a guy for that, I’d take the hit and just explain myself and hope he understood, but I’d never beat a guy for standing up for his own shit. Life just doesn’t have hard rules, bottom line.

• 1d

Yes, there are so many anti LGBT black and latinos. It's so hypocritical hearing my friends and family bitch about stereotypes or insults against them, yet they hate gays and trans. Like they hate Trump for saying illegals are rapists and criminals or whatever but will say that gay men are secret pedos or other shit like that.

That's true too. I always tell my boyfriend that if someone were to see how my friends and family talk to each other, they'd think we're all sexist, racist, "classist" (since we make a lot of anti ghetto jokes) etc. Who knows, maybe we do have "internalized oppression" or maybe we just know that we don't really mean to offend each other.

• Comedians should be allowed to be offensive, if it is for the sake of delivering a good joke.
    They should not be allowed to excuse their offensive behavior by saying "just jking".

1|0
    0|0
  • They hate Sarah Silverman and Samantha Bee for joking about Trump but will defend Rosanne Barr and Michael Richards when they made racist comments. I see a double standard in some ways.

1|0
    0|0
  • You have to remember that comedy is a dark place, generally speaking and comes from the cesspool that is the human psyche. It's meant to make you laugh, but a LOT of things that are funny are not good things that happen, but often crude/racist/inconsiderate things said. Often times it is all relatable and that is the biggest part of comedy.
    There's nothing wrong with being offensive as a comedian but you have to do it in appropriate places. Roseanne did it on Twitter i believe, and it wasn't an appropriate medium for said joke (just read their ToS). I'm not sure about the Kevin Hart thing as for where it happened, but even as half black/latino, I feel no different than anyone else being in the same situation.
    Comedy is comedy and even if it is the opposing side of a tragedy, it comes from the same place.

1|0
    0|0
  • You forgot to mention that Kevin Hart apologized for these jokes YEARS ago. The jokes conveniently resurfaced, but his apology did not.

1|0
    0|0
    • 1d

Roseanne also apologized. Should her show have been cancelled?

• Show All
    • 1d

Oh, well should she have been fired?

• 1d

I don't think anyone should be fired for "comedy", even if it is in poor taste. However, that's probably not "politically correct" to say or believe.

• At what point is it not considered free speech. Say what you want, I don't care how racist or sexiest someone is. They're entitled to their own opinion. I have my own. To be offended is to actually care what other people think when you act like you don't.

0|0
    0|0
  • Of course comedians should have the freedom to be provocative and to make jokes, but there are statements that they make that can be appalling and where they should be judged/lose their job.

Kevin Hart should have been the host of that show, but Roseanne Barr was 100% justifiably fired.

0|0
    0|0
  • Anthony Jeselnik is the king of offensive comedy. I don’t think Kevin Hart isn’t funny either. I do think that comedians should be able to write bits about whatever they like and others need to get sand out of their vagina.

0|0
    0|0
  • If you stop to carefully analyze jokes, you will find that pretty much all jokes offend someone or something. The part that is funny is poking fun at something.

However, some comedians use likable characters that you can still like after. Red Skelton used made up people that sometimes fit a type of character, like hobos. But you were kind of laughing with the character, not at him. He also used animal, such as the seagulls Gertrude and Heathcliff.

Others use an audience that knows what is coming and accepts the offense even when aimed at them. Don Rickles was famous for offending everyone.

But many comedians today cannot seem to be funny without hurting an individual or group. And these days there are some individuals and groups who seem to be going way out of their way to invite offensive jokes aimed at them.

0|0
    0|0
  • I think it is realistic that when you are in the public sphere you will be judged by what you say, and when what you say could affect the profitability of those businesses that you represent then you should expect that they might drop you like a stone. That's business. It's made out to be a moral stance but it's business. No star is immune from the wrath of their sponsors and hosts who have a brand image to protect. It is rarely ever the law that intervenes and takes away the microphone, it's businesses that react based on public opinion.

0|0
    0|0
    • 1d

I agree that the company they work for are free to do what they want. I don't think I'd react that way, particularly if they're comedians. But I'm not a business owner so I can't say for sure when money is on the line lol
      I don't think laws should ever be involved though

• It's a joke he told ten years ago. People are stupid

0|0
    0|0
    • 1d

Do you think Roseanne being cancelled was stupid?

• 1d

I seriously didn't care for Rosanne but I don't think they should have done that. She apologized after.

• They are good as comedians and i like them but they should not be offensive at all..

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes I think so provided they are also funny, not like Amy 'muh vagina' Shumer.

0|0
    0|0
  • if you're funny, sure.

0|0
    0|0
  • If race and religion can be made fun of then so can homosexuality..

0|0
    0|0
    • 1d

Roseanne wasn't allowed to.

• 22h

Well, gosh.. We need to have meeting with whoever controls all this shit. So things can be made more clear on what can and can not be poked at.

• People have a right not to be offended by jokes. Words hurt.

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 3

• In the 50's, 60's comedians didn't need to be offensive because they were good comedians. Today's so called comedians can't do their act without using profanity, racism, and ethnic put downs. And these dumb people in the audience laugh instead of being insulted.

1|0
    0|0
  • NO ONE, HUN. xxoo

0|0
    0|0
  • Voted b

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes