Tennessee V Cyntoia Brown Were The Courts Right?

So recently this case seems to be experiencing a resurgence of support with articles like
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/cyntoia-brown-life-sentence-supreme-court_us_5c0c7f30e4b0ab8cf693f5c5 following Kim Kardashian and Women's March groups.

I've been reading through the court case here https://law.justia.com/cases/tennessee/court-of-criminal-appeals/2009/browncyntoiadeniseopn.html and so far I've some mixed opinions so I figured I'd extend the question to y'all.
  • Yes, The Punishment Fits The Crime
  • No, The Punishment Is Excessive
  • No, She Did Nothing Wrong
    Vote C
  • Mixed Feelings
    Vote D
  • Other
    Vote E

411

Most Helpful Girl

• She shoudn't have gotten jail she shoudl get help from all her traumas. It was self defence not murder

• Why do you think it was self defense? She said that she executed him to her adoptive mother, and the police/ detectives said that the man was asleep when he was shot.

• Maybe? That’s a very strange line of reasoning to me, but I think I’ve got your position. Thanks for the conversation.

• K? Yeah thankx bye

Most Helpful Guys

• i think we should separate two issues... the life sentence and the sentence in general
    as far as i understood first time offenders of violent crimes who are minors are not subject to life sentences. so i'm rather surprised that she would be given a life sentence

i think it becomes especially unfortunate when you're talking about a minor who is effectively being raped by adults and you would think some sort of clemency or leniency in sentencing would occur for a person in her position

• Well violent crimes are rather vague. She didn't just assault him, she was found guilty of premeditated murder and tried as an adult (hence the life sentence). She also appears to have told multiple people that she did it because she wanted to see how it felt and was bragging about having robbed him of tens of thousands of dollars.

It's more troubling that now her attorney's are arguing that she's mentally incompetent and things of that nature. It's hard to really say how this should go.

• and i understand and agree but work release is a tool for the transition so it ONLY happens when a person is a few months from being released. so it would occur when this girl is basically a senior citizen and difficult to employ as a non-convict let alone as a convicted murderer. that's why it makes sense to try and get something out of her before she has simply rotted into old age for 50 years

• Well I don’t know if that’s accurate, but presuming it is I’d personally prefer work release reform than halving the sentence for murderers.

• In cases such as this, the evaluation of the evidence includes assessments of the credibility of witnesses. This is done by observing the witnesses testifying, listening to their speech patterns, tone of voice, etc., pauses in testimony, and many other factors that cannot be discerned at all from a review of the written record of the proceedings. That is why great deference must be given to the conclusions of the jury members who were is a superior position to assess the credibility of state and defense witnesses.

• I'm pretty sure the girl didn't take the stand during her initial trial. This was likely to protect her from self incriminating testimony. For example there's a recording of her telling her mother that she "executed" the man in question. Cross examination on this statement would likely not look well for her.

• Right. But the jury must also assess the credibility of the state's witnesses.

• They'd also have to take into account her credibility though. I think that there's a good question of coercion with some of the witnesses, but others not so much. For example the Nurse she attacked and was screaming that she'd (defendant) kill her (nurse) just like she killed the man.