Would You criticize Colonialism and imperialism That was done by Your Country In The past or denounce it?

Was it normal To invade Other countries or maybe continents For sake Of enlarging Your empire And having to much influence On The invaded countries

https://youtu.be/3Z9EedjXseIWould You criticize Colonialism and imperialism That was done by Your Country In The past or denounce it?
  • it was justified power Matters
    Vote A
  • it was justified cause Europeans brang modernisation Western values
    Vote B
  • was not justified cause they were take all benefits (resources gold) That continents or Countries had without benefiting the invaded countries or continents
    Vote C
  • it wasn't justified other reason
    Vote D
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy
Updates:
guys calm down i have nothing against Europeans 😂😂 i just give example of some European empires like British ones

0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• No but I'd recognise that my country ended colonialism.

0|1
    0|0
    • Like for instance do you recognise how your people invaded and colonised egypt?

• British empire

• Rashidun Caliphate

Most Helpful Guys

• A and B.

Whilst it's fashionable for SJWs to criticise this sort of thing, they invariably don't understand what they're talking about.

0|1
    0|0
  • 1. It is a mistake to judge the actions of historical figures by contemporary standards of morality. I would not be surprised if, in the year 2119, it is consider immoral to keep a dog or cat as a pet. Does that mean those people of the future should look back and judge me harshly because I have a cat as a pet?

2. If you are not a SJW, what purpose is served by denouncing actions of the past.

3. In the law, we have statutes of limitation which limit the time after an event for filing a lawsuit or prosecuting a crime which occurred during that event. These laws are justified because, after the passage of time, details and critical information may no longer be available and we won't be able to judge it fairly. That same reasoning should apply to retrospective judgments of historical events.

0|0
    0|0
    • i agree with all what you have said But i took the number 1 point we won't denounce slavery that has been practised all civilizations 😆

• I would certainly not be a proponent of slavery in any form. But why do I need to denounce those who practiced it in the past? What does that accomplish?

• 2d

Thanks for MHO!

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 0

The only opinion from girls was selected the Most Helpful Opinion, but you can still contribute by sharing an opinion!

What Guys Said 10

• Okay, so a huge issue here, it wasn't Europeans that did this. How do you think empires came into existence? Through conquest. The idea that this was a European thing rather then a human one is absurd. Their is not one group of people who have not warred with and conquered another people. Even hunter gatherer tribes conquer other neighboring tribes. So that's just unfair and inaccurate (and rather racist). Second, the reason they did this wasn't "power", it was resources. Yes some people wanted power but that's not the biggest driving force here, it was resources, that's why the spice trade was so lucrative. This is also why now that we have technology we don't have this mindset any more, we have created systems where we are now able to produce more food, in smaller areas with less resources. Prior to modern technology the land you would need for food was significantly greater. In fact we would not be able to sustain our populations with the land that we use now, if we did not have technology. This would drive countries to go to war and conquer each other. Third, this "imperialism" did in fact bring greater wealth and prosperity to EVERY ONE, as well as allowed for a more human society (despite popular belief, it was Europeans who squashed slavery, who brought in the legal systems we use today that are far more just then the ones before (which involved stonings and other ritualized methods of "justice"), they have greater access to food and resources etc. So while it may not be just by our standards, that's only because, ironically, we have the luxury to be more moral then them because of their actions. They created a system that allowed us to have the luxury to care. The claim that its wrong is presentism and/or ignorance.

0|0
    0|0
  • To be honest, it is only people of the last 10-20 years that have become so obsessed with the past. You study history and learn about it and from it... you don't freak out about it now and try and blame everyone now for stuff that happened hundreds of years today.

0|0
    0|0
  • There is no justification for colonialism or imperialism, and we hope we have move passed all that. What was done in the past was in the past doesn't make it right. But many countries were involved in colonialism, conquering invading was norm all around the world.

Many countries were left destitute. Whatever modernization colonial powers may have brought did not outweigh the negatives at all, and modernization only happened when it benefited colonial powers. There is no moral justification for colonialism.

0|1
    0|0
  • Sure its still happening today. The USA is building an empire n its sickening

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't think 'justified' really is the right word.

The world was more violent and divided, and that's how things were, not just by Europeans, but everywhere. The Europeans were the most recently successful. But empires were being built all over the planet, since civilizations emerged.

So I don't ask too many questions about why the britions invaded the celts and picts, and the romans invaded them, and the anglos and Saxons them, and the normans them … it happened. and the English then colonized lots of other places.

Gladly, the world is less like that now.

However I also think that if we don't want the world to be like that now, we have to recognize that population pressures and desires to immigrate still exist. if we don't want to resolve them with war, we need to have alternate paths.

0|0
    0|0
  • I've no issue criticizing the practices of the Netherlands in Suriname and Indonesia, that it would definitely be unethical to today's standards and the stuff they did in the 1940s was vile.

That being said, to judge actions in the past we must not look through the lense of today, but the perspective of back then. It's incredibly unfair and intellectually dishonest to judge individuals of 400 years ago by the moral standards of now. So yes, it was understandable they colonized various parts of the world. It was out of greed, and yes the practices were vile. But they were understandable for that time. For the current era, nope. It's vile.

0|0
    0|0
  • I dont have much to say on this...

0|0
    0|0
  • There was and is nothing wrong with colonialism.

0|1
    0|0
  • I'm pro colonialism.

0|0
    0|0
  • Isn't that the same thing

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes