Do you think poor people are just lazy?

I find it funny that most middle class and rich people say that the poor are just lazy... I don't think that's the case. Personally I work my ass off everyday and I'm still poor. I see single parents working hard every single day, the poor do work hard but a lot of times still stay stuck in poverty. If you watch documentaries on the poor you will see that we do work hard, we were just bought up in rough times.
  • Yes, poor folks are fucking lazy
  • No, not at all

620

Most Helpful Guys

• Richer folk are often born into a life that doesn't necessarily make them lazy, especially if they're the opposite of that word. Yet they have access to things that make it quite easier. You -could- be a lazy poor person, if you're content. Or you could provide enough to the table that you're an absolute slave. Either one is miserable and deserving of varying degrees of acknowledgement. (I say that instead of sympathy because maybe lazy poor people are welfare whores and I'm not really a fan of that.)

• As long as they have food on the table and a place to live and clothes than they are fine. "Poor" is sometimes used by comparing their income/belongings against those with a lot. We hear endless accounts of how those with less often are very happy and have content lives. As long as they work and get their needs met than I'd be hesitant to call them poor. Not having a spare bedroom and two TV's that they can mindlessly watch all the time and two cars doesn't really make someone poor.

If they are literally in want... not enough to get food, no shelter, if they are healthy and able bodied my first guess would be they have a problem with drugs or alcohol or they are in a barren, third world type of country. If you are able bodied in the west there probably isn't a good long term reason not to be able to have some type of job and to rent a cheap apartment and get food and clothes unless your are addicted or don't even try.

Most Helpful Girl

• Depends on a country they live in. And a person might not be lazy but not have other qualities that are important for financial success like foresight and stuff. Or even moral corruption. Again, depends on a country too.