Do you think poor people are just lazy?

I find it funny that most middle class and rich people say that the poor are just lazy... I don't think that's the case. Personally I work my ass off everyday and I'm still poor. I see single parents working hard every single day, the poor do work hard but a lot of times still stay stuck in poverty. If you watch documentaries on the poor you will see that we do work hard, we were just bought up in rough times.
  • Yes, poor folks are fucking lazy
    Vote A
  • No, not at all
    Vote B
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|1

Most Helpful Guys

• Richer folk are often born into a life that doesn't necessarily make them lazy, especially if they're the opposite of that word. Yet they have access to things that make it quite easier. You -could- be a lazy poor person, if you're content. Or you could provide enough to the table that you're an absolute slave. Either one is miserable and deserving of varying degrees of acknowledgement. (I say that instead of sympathy because maybe lazy poor people are welfare whores and I'm not really a fan of that.)

0|0
    0|0
  • As long as they have food on the table and a place to live and clothes than they are fine. "Poor" is sometimes used by comparing their income/belongings against those with a lot. We hear endless accounts of how those with less often are very happy and have content lives. As long as they work and get their needs met than I'd be hesitant to call them poor. Not having a spare bedroom and two TV's that they can mindlessly watch all the time and two cars doesn't really make someone poor.

If they are literally in want... not enough to get food, no shelter, if they are healthy and able bodied my first guess would be they have a problem with drugs or alcohol or they are in a barren, third world type of country. If you are able bodied in the west there probably isn't a good long term reason not to be able to have some type of job and to rent a cheap apartment and get food and clothes unless your are addicted or don't even try.

0|1
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• Depends on a country they live in. And a person might not be lazy but not have other qualities that are important for financial success like foresight and stuff. Or even moral corruption. Again, depends on a country too.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 18

• it's not really a yes or no question but has to be considered in degrees

i would say the vast majority of poor people are not lazy. but there are certainly some who are poor due to lack of effort, ambition, motivation and/or laziness

0|0
    0|0
  • Kinda depends. I hate talk that demeans a country's laboring force, it's working class, etc. In fact, I am pretty much a leftist ideologue.

That said, the state of people's lives is to a certain degree a product of the decisions they make. I have a sister who is lazy. She didn't work a job up until very recently, and she enrolled in a uni with $9k/semester and skipped school all the time, eventually dropped out. Now she's trying to find a way to go back to school somewhere else, but she's broke.

Me, I chose to go to a cheaper, public uni. I also have been working since I was a sophomore in high school (that's about the age everyone starts around here), and have had jobs that paid like shit and worked me hard. At my current job I wash dishes, but also clean dumpsters, vents, mold, cielings, drains, etc. Often I'll find myself staying until 11:30 or midnight. I hate it, but it's important to me that I remain debt free.

My sister thinks that the work I do is beneath her; and even though she has never had a job for more than a month, she refuses to do just about any entry-level work because she is too good to I guess. Her and I came from the same family, and same parents. I'm no saint myself, I work some of those extra hours for beer and weed money. But this is a clear illustration to me, as to how people who make choices that are not only bad, but totally irrational, reap what they sow.

I am proud to stand by people who work for this country, who keep our lights on. Who do blue collar work, and people like teachers -- who get little pay and thanks for what they do. I detest when people say poor people are lazy.

That doesn't mean that people who end up in certain situations haven't been brought there by there own choices in some cases though.

0|0
    0|0
  • If you ask a certain baby boomer on here it's clearly all their fault for being poor...

But in reality this economy is failing the working class and rewarding those at the top. This is a direct consequence of productivity increasing exponentially while wages did not, and this was all accomplished by the baby boomer generation. You know, the same people who invented participation trophies and then blame us for getting them. Those hypocrites

0|1
    0|0
  • It depends what part of the country you're in.
    In America, at least where I live that seems to be case.
    But also in the Caribbean, you'll see a lot of locals just trying to make money the easy way.

And remember, people work because they NEED to. Not because they WANT to

0|0
    0|0
  • I think they're more stupid than lazy, but lazy also comes to account, when it comes to getting a degree so they wouldn't have to do manual labour for the rest of their lives. If you don't advance yourself your life will also not change. Simple as that. Work smart not hard.

0|0
    0|0
  • Not often no. Most poor people in 1st world countries are either there through choices out of their control or bad life choices of their own, there are some that just refuse to get off the sofa and get a job for sure but the majority are poor due to their own life not going to plan

0|0
    0|0
  • being poor =/= being lazy at all. being wealthy means you found a way within our system to make money whether it be hard or smart work. there's too many variables.

0|0
    0|0
  • Poorer people are the hardest working people I know personally and they do it all for the least amount of money. I think the real thing most lack is ambition to improve their lives.

0|0
    0|0
  • It depends. I've known both. The real tragedy is the poor people who work their asses off doing multiple jobs and still can't make ends meet.

0|1
    0|0
  • im broke but im trying to apply for jobs but i dont get accepted, I don't know what it is, is it my age, I don't know 😕

0|0
    0|0
  • I voted B. It really depends on the individual. Yes, some people are poor because they refuse to work hard and provide for themselves and just rather leach off the sweat of others.

Some people are poor because they simply don't have the talents or were never given a chance at bettering their circumstances because of poor health, taking care of sick loved one etc.

Not everyone can be rich or middle class, but there's no legit reason to be poor or suffering hunger because you simply just refuse to go out and look for any labor to provide for yourself but rather beg others to give you free stuff while you sit on your rear end all day.

1|0
    0|0
  • Yep, lazy bastards! Oh wait, I grew up poor. Nevermind.

0|0
    0|0
  • Usually they are not.

0|0
    0|0
  • No, maybe stupid.
    Run a circle ++--=0

0|0
    0|0
  • Far from the truth!

0|0
    0|0
  • Eh...
    It's complicated.

0|0
    0|0
  • I've met far more lazy wealthy people... and their bratty, entitled fucking kids...

0|1
    0|0
  • Some are but many just lack any skill or really anything of value. It doesn't matter how hard you work what matters is how much value you produce with your actions.

0|1
    0|0

What Girls Said 5

• Not always. Many Today, bae, Have to Live Paycheck to Paycheck. Even the Furloughed Fed People. xx

0|0
    0|0
  • No there just stuck and don’t know how to grow out of it.

0|0
    0|0
  • No, I don't think that poor people are lazy.

0|0
    0|0
  • No, and that's a quite disgusting opinion to have.

0|0
    0|0
  • No i think its the opposite

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes