Punish a Criminal Harshly & It's Not Deterrent Vs Punish a Criminal Mildly & It's Very Deterrent?

What's the best options between:
A. A murder gets punished harshly and no one gets scared.
B. A murder gets punished mildly, but everyone else in the population finds it deterrent.

Please explain why.

Here's the explanation:
Option A = The murder gets a punishment s/he thinks are very harsh, but no one else finds it deterrent because they finds the harsh punishment mild. What the punishment is depend on the murder.

Option B = The murder finds this punishment as both mild and mercifully. S/he's relatively happy with this. But everyone else finds the punishment deterrent and disgusting, so most people aren't into committing a crime because of it.

What's the most important here between: punishing the murder harshly or a deterrent punishment?

#Punishment #JusticeSystem #Criminal
  • A. Murder gets punished harshly, but everyone else finds it none-deterrent
  • B. Murder gets punished mildly, but everyone fits it deterrent

720