What's it like to live in a big city? Pros & Cons?

I live in England, I'm gonna start university in a year. I'm thinking of moving to somewhere like London. But I'm scared of being mugged / attacked cos of higher crime rates etc. However, their shopping centres are amazing and their coffee shops lol. I'm a guitarist, hoping to be a professional session musician, so London would be better for me. And i wouldn't mind being a lecturer or music producer or audio engineer or even an actor. Pro's and con's of city life? Whats your opinions? :)
  • City life is GOOD! (more pro's than con's e. g. shopping, meeting more people)
    Vote A
  • City life is BAD (more negatives to outway the positives, Crime etc.)
    Vote B
  • It depends / Other (explain)
    Vote C
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|2

Most Helpful Guys

• Anywhere can be "dangerous" or "safe" depending on how you approach it.

I moved from a mid-sized town in Lincolnshire to a very small town in Devon when I left home. The week before I moved there a girl was murdered in her home 200 yards from where I moved to. There were a lot of homeless people who took shelter in an abandoned building on the edge of the town.

The statistics said that small town had a higher murder rate and a worse drug use and homeless problem than any of the big cities.

There are plenty of places outside London where a session musician can work. And you can live more economically and just travel to the city for work as well.

I live in Somerset now, but I know a couple of professional musicians in the South West who do session work in Bristol and London. It's just a matter of getting known by a studio

1|0
    0|0
  • l dont like london l was last there over 30 years ago l am happy where l stay in scotland london is very bad for every kind of crime its like a free for all there is lots of nice places to shop and eat out but rents are very dear can't you not go to another university rather than london plus why dont you put your self in touch with a few radio stations where you stay in england as you say you won't be going to uni until next year they will let you find out about how things work in a radio station l dont know if you would get paid but you would learn some stuff before you go to uni l am aware that you are working just now as well

1|0
    0|0
    • Ohh yeah! Do you think i could get an apprenticeship at a radio station or part time job?

• l would try and get into a radio station for an apprenticeship even if it did not pay much and it would be fine if you still had one part time job some tv stations take on people as well behind the scenes think out of the box and go for it l know that you can do it

• Yeah! Thank you

Most Helpful Girls

• It really just depends. On the one side I’ve lived in cities most of my life and always pretty big cities. The city I live in now used to be reasonably small and is now a huge city.

Traffic is bad, but it’s a dense city so it is still easy to get out into the hills or open space when it is low traffic within 30-1 hour.

But the work commute, even with flex hours and what not usually sucks.

It should take 45 minutes to go 8 miles but it does, sometimes more time. If I leave before 7:15 I can usually make it in 20 minutes but that means I’m working out before work.

Really great food, music, lake downtown, lots of young people. It’s never boring. But sometimes it’s too overwhelming during festival season... which is March through October, on and off, to go out.

It’s like the city gets invaded by tourist and you can’t even go to the Wholefoods if you wanted to because that’s where are the festival goers are and it isn’t worth it.

Still though, I’m lucky to have a city with the outdoors downtown. I can always hit the running trail early enough before anyone wakes up or run around the capitol at night where there are plenty of state police.

I never feel alone or unsafe but I do feel crowded and intruded upon at times by visitors to the city. They don’t know that it isn’t always like it is when they visit, that the quiet streets turn into mad houses.

If the festivals went away it would be perfect.

1|0
    0|0
  • I live in the suburbs of a city, about 15 minutes drive from the heart of the city. I love my city because there's so much happening all the time! The fashion sense (even by just a 15 minute drive distance) is way more fashionable and out there when you're in the heart of the city which I always find fascinating. If you enjoy being a part of the action and being around people 24/7, then it's ideal. It is not more expensive in my city, but I know London is very expensive, so maybe living on the outskirts would be a better option. I've lived here my whole life and the city is always changing and I'd say I haven't seen or visited about 80% of everything the city has to offer and even if I started, new places are popping up! You also get more independent and unique businesses showing up too, like a vape cafe! My city also has about 15 hidden bars and they've turned it into almost a game of finding these hidden bars, so there is always something to do from shopping, concerts, cinema, golf, vape cafes, escape rooms, coffee shops etc. I love quaint villages out in the country but I always find myself thinking how boring it would be to live there!

1|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 26

• I'm not a city fan, I live outside of Lisbon and I also have to go there for college, Lisbon is not too bad compared to other major cities, but I like the nature and coziness of living outside of a city. Lisbon doesn't have a lot of high density areas and if you took the tourists away the streets would be almost empty

1|0
    0|0
  • The Good:
    More restaurants and bars. More everything! And most of them are open later, too.
    No wildlife
    Hospitals are always close by, if you need one.
    More jobs

The Bad
    No wildlife :D
    Traffic
    No parking
    Expensive housing

1|0
    0|0
  • London in particular is a weird case. From what I've heard, the muslim presence is so large that it doesn't feel like Brittain anymore. More like Germany or the south of Sweden.

1|0
    0|0
  • Pros everything is typically in walking distance. if it isn't there's mass transit to get you where you need to go so no need for a car so you save $$ in that regards.
    Cons crime is typically higher, there's more people so it's always crowded and you're just a number wherever you go.

This is why i live in the suburb. Close enough to feel like you're in civilization. far enough to feel like you have breathing room.

1|0
    0|0
  • I've heard it's a toss up, it's got good and bad. Less personal in the city, more on your own, have to learn Independence and relying on yourself. Great sites and busyness but increase in money and harder to find peace. Stuff like that

1|0
    0|0
  • Pros (these are based on our country):
    -Everything is within reach. You could buy almost anything and get it within the same day/tomorrow.
    -Transportation options are a lot better
    -Food options are better
    -Infrastructure are better

Cons:
    -Traffic
    -Expensive things
    -Unhealthy foods
    -Pollution
    -Heavier Corruption
    -More poverty means more crime

1|0
    0|0
  • It's what you make of it. I live in a big suburban town of about 50,000 people and work in a city 15 miles south that is home to a million. Not a "big" city but it is very dense and compact. Traffic sucks. Generally, I don't worry about crime as I am usually armed but you should be safe and stick to well-lit areas. Things like fuel will be more expensive.
    However, if you're very social and love trying new places to eat you will enjoy it.

1|0
    0|0
  • Cons: too many people, no place to park because there are too many people, hipsters, weirdos, people worship their cellphones, too many people who don't know how to drive, atheists, too many people.

Pros: You can get Bahn Mi from the viet congers at 3 AM if you want it.

1|0
    0|0
  • Well, though I was born there, I left in 1965 so cannot comment on England cities.

Big Canadian ones like Toronto or Vancouver I find insufferable. I used to live in Ottawa and if one had to live in a city, it is tolerable because rural areas are nearby.

1|0
    0|0
  • I would say it all depends on location and places
    i think there is good and bad places no matter
    where you live now i live in small City and it's calm
    now I'm 20-30 miles South of Pittsburgh Pa which
    is big City and i couldn't handle the fast pace of life
    i like something slow.

1|0
    0|0
  • I like cities. My main gripe is in cities it can take you a hour to go and do something that you could do in a country town in 5 minutes.

1|0
    0|0
    • Thats cool. So walking to the shop could take an hour?

• No it is more the traffic, the people, the long wait in lines to buy things. Everything seems to take longer.

• Ohh shit, not good lol 😂

• Sorry you guys got trashed by Muslims
    That should never have happened

1|0
    0|0
    • Yeah, not to be racist or anything, but they always approach me and stare at me weirdly. One even bullied me at school. They make me uncomfortable sometimes.

• That's concerning, clashing cultures. I've read bad things in Germany. That's not to say all Muslims are bad, but you put a bunch of males with no females in a culture where they aren't supposed to look at women and problems occur. What's your plan to defend yourself? You understand the belief system and culture, yes?

• 7d

Yeah i understand the culture. I avoid the weird ones and talk to the nice ones. I've met some nicer muslim men, but im still being careful

• I live near Manhattan and I can say with certainty that I'd be happier if I never had to set foot in the city again. I'd probably deal with it if I was dating girl who lived there but apart from that there's nothing that justifies the experience.

1|0
    0|0
  • Pros: Convince, less lonely life, makes you develop better, more places to go and more people to meet.

Cons: Too much bills, annoying neighbors, traffic, pollution, crowded and high crime rate.

1|0
    0|1
  • London is really, really expensive. But being mugged or attacked can happen anywhere. If you think you can handle it down in London, go for it.

1|0
    0|0
  • I live in a big town of 200k+. Access to facilities is good... if you have a car. Crime is bad in certain areas. The real issue is that facilities and services haven't kept pace with the rising population.

0|0
    0|0
  • Pros: Lots of fun places to go to and activities to do.

Cons: Crowed, lots of traffic and high crime rates.

1|0
    0|0
  • I would be more scared about the cost of living in a city!

1|1
    0|0
  • I've never lived in a big city but I've been to the closest big city many times. Crime, pollution, congestion, and immorality.

0|0
    0|0
  • depends on which part of town you're gonna live in.

1|0
    0|0
  • I like suburbs which are less crowded and easily accessible.
    Traffic and distances in Big cities are just too much

1|0
    0|0
  • It depends on the place though.
    I live in a city. Never been attacked or robbed or any such violent experience.

Pros:
    1. You get anything and everything readily (most importantly medical help)
    2. High standard of living
    3. Easy transport
    4. More people, more safety (you're never alone)
    5. More schools/colleges, thus higher literacy rate

Con:
    1. Pollution
    2. Noise
    THOSE TWO ARE THE ABSOLUTE WORST (again it depends on the city)
    3. Traffic
    4. (Depending on the people) - if someone finds out that you're not used to the city life, they might swindle you 😂 beware

You don't have to worry much. 🙂 Goodluck

1|0
    0|0
  • I'm from London, the positives is that there is something for everyone not matter what you're into. Food, Music, Events, Gym, Sports, Comedy, Clothes, whatever you desire you'll find an diversity of choice in London. As a musician
    London will be amazing for you. Also great opportunities for employment I haven't experienced else where... The cons are the lack of housing availability due to the massive overpopulation in London (£7M plus) it will be a culture shock if you're not from a big city yourself. High rents and lack of a sense of community as other parts of the country due to being an large multicultural city. Different communities kinda fall back into their own groups in certain areas. In terms of crime just don't be walking the streets at night on your own but that is the same in any City.

1|0
    0|0
  • You could be a busker and make a few bob playing your guitar for tourists in London! That’s a pro

1|0
    0|0
  • Pros. Access to public transport.
    Wide array of retail
    Large gay communities

Cons: pollution, congestion. Expensive.

0|0
    0|0
  • Pros. Accessibility. Cons. Rush and life quality.

1|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 12

• I love living in big ciites... lots of pros and cons like what you shared.
    I also enjoy going to little towns to explore.

Like everywhere else... when there are crowds, be smart with your surroundings.

I was in London 6 years ago, i travelled alone. I felt safe.
    Love the shops there, go to Fortum and Mason.

1|0
    0|0
  • You might enjoy a city when you are young but when you're ready to settle down and have a family of your own, would you still want to live in a big city? It might be charming for 3-5 years but not for the rest of your life.

1|0
    0|0
  • Cons: too many people, the streets are crowded, traffic jams, polluted air, more stress, rent prices are high, higher crime rate.

Pros: You can find almost anything you need in the city, variety of transport (cabs, bus, subway), good hospital or healthcare centers (in case you get sick).

1|0
    0|0
  • It depends on how you want to live. Yes, there's more crime but do you really want to be shut away for your entire life? You only get to live once so why not

1|0
    0|1
  • I lived downtown in a pretty big city and liked it a lot! I think it is good especially when you are young. But it is too expensive to buy a place in that area.

0|0
    0|0
  • City life is ok it's exciting at first but after while you're just over it.
    Pros
    It's lively, there's lots of different places to go, more opportunities, people are less invasive, there's always something to discover

Cons
    It's crowded, noisy, never a moment of quiet to yourself. It's expensive and you spend a lot more than you make. The cost of living is high. Going outside is a literal struggle sometimes. It can be kinda lonely. After you do everything there's nothing else to do and after while you can feel like you've been busy swallowed by society.

1|0
    0|0
  • Pros: interesting people to mingle with
    possibly more job opportunities

Cons: too many people
    higher crime
    higher cost of living

1|0
    0|0
  • I’m also thinking of moving to London but from Australia! I love it there but I’m nervous about doing it all on my own

1|0
    0|0
  • Shopping better , if you like people watching you get to see people go all over.

1|0
    0|0
  • I live in NY and it's a godless shithole.

1|0
    0|0
  • You’re gonna be a poor student living in expensive London. You’re not gonna have a lot of money to spend in those shopping centres. Well, unless you’re rich of course.

1|0
    0|0
  • Living in or close to a downtown of a major city like London has more cons than pros. Rent is incredibly higher for a tiny flat or loft. Those shopping centres and cafes are appetizing only in the beginning until you realize your expensive rent ain't gonna allow you afford them any longer. Crime? Expect it!

1|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes