What's it like to live in a big city? Pros & Cons?

I live in England, I'm gonna start university in a year. I'm thinking of moving to somewhere like London. But I'm scared of being mugged / attacked cos of higher crime rates etc. However, their shopping centres are amazing and their coffee shops lol. I'm a guitarist, hoping to be a professional session musician, so London would be better for me. And i wouldn't mind being a lecturer or music producer or audio engineer or even an actor. Pro's and con's of city life? Whats your opinions? :)
  • City life is GOOD! (more pro's than con's e. g. shopping, meeting more people)
  • City life is BAD (more negatives to outway the positives, Crime etc.)
  • It depends / Other (explain)
    Vote C

1428

Most Helpful Guys

• Anywhere can be "dangerous" or "safe" depending on how you approach it.

I moved from a mid-sized town in Lincolnshire to a very small town in Devon when I left home. The week before I moved there a girl was murdered in her home 200 yards from where I moved to. There were a lot of homeless people who took shelter in an abandoned building on the edge of the town.

The statistics said that small town had a higher murder rate and a worse drug use and homeless problem than any of the big cities.

There are plenty of places outside London where a session musician can work. And you can live more economically and just travel to the city for work as well.

I live in Somerset now, but I know a couple of professional musicians in the South West who do session work in Bristol and London. It's just a matter of getting known by a studio

• l dont like london l was last there over 30 years ago l am happy where l stay in scotland london is very bad for every kind of crime its like a free for all there is lots of nice places to shop and eat out but rents are very dear can't you not go to another university rather than london plus why dont you put your self in touch with a few radio stations where you stay in england as you say you won't be going to uni until next year they will let you find out about how things work in a radio station l dont know if you would get paid but you would learn some stuff before you go to uni l am aware that you are working just now as well

• Ohh yeah! Do you think i could get an apprenticeship at a radio station or part time job?

• l would try and get into a radio station for an apprenticeship even if it did not pay much and it would be fine if you still had one part time job some tv stations take on people as well behind the scenes think out of the box and go for it l know that you can do it

• Yeah! Thank you

Most Helpful Girls

• It really just depends. On the one side I’ve lived in cities most of my life and always pretty big cities. The city I live in now used to be reasonably small and is now a huge city.

Traffic is bad, but it’s a dense city so it is still easy to get out into the hills or open space when it is low traffic within 30-1 hour.

But the work commute, even with flex hours and what not usually sucks.

It should take 45 minutes to go 8 miles but it does, sometimes more time. If I leave before 7:15 I can usually make it in 20 minutes but that means I’m working out before work.

Really great food, music, lake downtown, lots of young people. It’s never boring. But sometimes it’s too overwhelming during festival season... which is March through October, on and off, to go out.

It’s like the city gets invaded by tourist and you can’t even go to the Wholefoods if you wanted to because that’s where are the festival goers are and it isn’t worth it.

Still though, I’m lucky to have a city with the outdoors downtown. I can always hit the running trail early enough before anyone wakes up or run around the capitol at night where there are plenty of state police.

I never feel alone or unsafe but I do feel crowded and intruded upon at times by visitors to the city. They don’t know that it isn’t always like it is when they visit, that the quiet streets turn into mad houses.

If the festivals went away it would be perfect.

• I live in the suburbs of a city, about 15 minutes drive from the heart of the city. I love my city because there's so much happening all the time! The fashion sense (even by just a 15 minute drive distance) is way more fashionable and out there when you're in the heart of the city which I always find fascinating. If you enjoy being a part of the action and being around people 24/7, then it's ideal. It is not more expensive in my city, but I know London is very expensive, so maybe living on the outskirts would be a better option. I've lived here my whole life and the city is always changing and I'd say I haven't seen or visited about 80% of everything the city has to offer and even if I started, new places are popping up! You also get more independent and unique businesses showing up too, like a vape cafe! My city also has about 15 hidden bars and they've turned it into almost a game of finding these hidden bars, so there is always something to do from shopping, concerts, cinema, golf, vape cafes, escape rooms, coffee shops etc. I love quaint villages out in the country but I always find myself thinking how boring it would be to live there!