Should Trump declare a national emergency on the southern border?

Trump has recently tweeted and remarked that he is authorized to declare it a national emergency and says he will do so unless congress steps up and does its job. Do you think he should declare the crisis on the border a national emergency?

0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• I think Trump should go to a mental hospital. 😜😂

0|3
    0|2
    • 6d

Thanks for your opinion. However, that doesn’t answer the question.
      Your idea might mean something if you were a qualified mental health expert.
      However, because I assume you’re not a mental health expert, your assessment does not meet the standard we here in America hold.
      But I appreciate your interest.

• Show All
    • 5d

but I understand them, Turkey is a paradise and syria a desert

• 5d

Turkey has a town near the Syrian border, and the population of Syrian refugees is larger than the population of the town

Most Helpful Guys

• No. It's bad legally and will immediately be blocked by a judge. He should just keep refusing to sign until they pass it. Nobody is leaving the Trump position because of the shutdown, a lot of people are starting to say that it's ridiculous that the democrats are refusing to give him the money. The cost of the shutdown has now exceeded the amount he wants. We already have a lot of walls built. The only reason for continuing to refuse to give the money is that you hate Trump. That doesn't work well.

0|2
    0|0
  • The short answer is "no," but there are some peculiar twists and qualifications to that. It could be an odd way for the President to gain a minor political victory and to extricate himself - on the dubious assumption that he wants to - from the government shutdown.

To start, the President does have statutory authority to declare a national emergency under the aptly named National Emergencies Act of 1976. Under the terms of that legislation the President must stipulate the need to declare a national emergency and therein lies the rub.

The President's rationale - not his authority to declare such an emergency - would almost certainly be challenged in the courts and at least at the lower court level would likely be blocked. Particularly in the legendary 9th Circuit.

The history is that such declarations invariably go to the Supreme Court and the SC invariably sides with the Executive. However, only under very rare circumstances is such a challenge given expedited consideration and there, from the President's perspective, is the problem. It is possible it could be years and, assuming that the President is not re-elected, it would mean that his win would come after he left office.

As an aside, the President would almost certainly win a court challenge in the end. The Supreme Court has a tradition of deferring to the Executive in such matters, Indeed, President Carter was the first to use - and be challenged for - a national emergency declaration. Over the swine flu. He won.

That latter point is also relevant for those Democrats who claim that there is no national emergency. For them it is not an emergency - unless government workers don't get their paychecks on time. Unless immigrant children die - as at least two have. Then, well...

The bottom line is that the Court will not second guess the Executive. If the swine flu can pass muster, after all. However, that makes it a dangerous tool. It either sets a precedent that becomes a usurpation of the legitimate powers of Congress, or if the President should lose, the power of the Executive could be circumscribed in ways that might be useful under more urgent circumstances. (See also the terrorist attacks of 9/11 as Exhibit A.)

Summing it up, a national emergency declaration is playing with dynamite and is best left not made. As Burke said, grievances are best endured until they become abuses - and so it is in this case. There is just not enough there, and the danger of a bad precedent is too great for a declaration to be a good idea.

Given this President's proclivity for playing with political dynamite, however, one despairs that he will not wake up one morning and declare an emergency. Not on the basis of any prudent calculation, but because of little more than his transient moods. Interestingly, however, in that connection, the President has one motive to make an emergency declaration as a way to extricate himself from the shutdown and gain a win of sorts.

The President built his reputation as a populist raging against the "Swamp." An emergency declaration divides the GOP overall, but fighting the "establishment" resonates with his core constituency - particularly lower middle income and blue collar workers - within the party.

Were the President to declare an emergency and then be stayed in the courts, it would be a way for him to say that he did all that he could but that the "Swamp" blocked him. That message would undoubtedly ring true to the President's constituency and cause it to rally to his side, thereby also pulling them away from the Democratic party to whom they were previously loyal until the 2016 election.

The President wins by losing - ditto a scenario where he would be abandoned by Congressional Republicans - and perhaps the only thing
    mitigating against it is the President's narcissism. He does not like to be seen as losing.

Add it all up, an emergency declaration would be a bad precedent that divides the GOP. Pandora ought not open that particular box.

0|2
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 1

• He is not authorized to declare that, and there's also not an emergency there.

0|2
    0|3
    • 6d

The National Emergencies Act of 1976 gives the president statutory authority to declare emergencies. There are millions of Americans who believe there’s an emergency , a crisis on the southern border. The belief is held by members of both parties.
      Perception is everything.

• 5d

Certainly there are situations in which a president can declare a state of emergency, but not when the emergency is of his own creation in his mind.

Meanwhile, he isn't paying the Federal agents who are there every day.

Much of his base believe things that are simply not true, and many of his party members in Washington feel they have to go along with him.

What Guys Said 7

• sure if he wants to fabricate another matter, go to court and muck up the process even further.

or he could accept that the border wall (no matter how "necessary" he sees it) is a dead issue at this point and government needs to be operating 100%

0|0
    0|1
    • 6d

You’re the only one I know that can contradict yourself in the same sentence (that’s a loose definition of a “sentence”). How can it be a “dead issue” when the government is, as you say, shut down because of it?

• Show All
    • 6d

there are no contradictions. but you can attempt to discredit my positions or suggestions anyway you wish

• 5d

Thank you for the clarification. I’m not trying to discredit your position, only wanted to understand it.

• I'm normally an extreme news junkie, but sometimes I need to take breaks. So I'm just guessing you're talking about illegals entering the US.
    He should do whatever it takes to keep their asses out. I have an idea...
    Should Trump declare a national emergency on the southern border?

0|1
    0|0
  • Nah. First off, Honduras and Guatemala are nice countries that are in deep trouble at the moment. The people are very much like you and I, but the language is different. They left their homes because of danger and a lack of food - not to hurt you. One day, America may have unrest, or a huge disaster (Yellowstone comes to mind!) and WE may have to migrate SOUTH. I hope they will be kinder to us than we are being to them, when our time comes.

Besides, If they only walked, casually, for about 6 hrs a day, they'd practically be here already. If any of them had cars, they would've gotten here in just about 3-4 days. Hint: They're already arriving and no one cares.

0|0
    0|1
    • 6d

Hint: they’ve been arriving and clearly millions of Americans do care, that’s why we’re talking about it.

• 6d

I suppose that's a valid statement. However, their presence here has had zero effect on my life and I'm in California, where the vast majority of them are.

• 5d

Well then you’re one of the lucky ones. I, too, live in a heavily populated illegal alien area, southern Nevada. My life has been impacted by their presence bc of the lowering of wages when so many of them are here taking those jobs at a much lower rate. I used to have a small carpet cleaning company, that went under bc other companies got the jobs bc they had a labor budget reflecting those lower wages. I could no longer compete, bc I refused to use under the radar labor.
      So sooner or later, it is likely that this continued trajectory will effect you or someone you know.

• I'd say he should give it a little more time. Things like that are like executive orders. Yeah you can just take full control and do whatever you feel like but it's only gonna make you look bad. Either way at this point in time 79% of Americans think there is a problem with illegal immigration. 42% of which say it's a crisis. Something must be done

0|1
    0|0
  • he should do whatever it takes to protect Americans, thats what a good president does
    if you're confused... just remember, follow the protection of Americans and you shall not be confused anymore

1|1
    0|0
  • What if Congress' step up is to impeach him? Will he be happy?

0|1
    0|1
    • 6d

Ok, but I see no effort by you to show how that statement is relevant. We could say, what if the moon explodes tomorrow? Will he be happy?

• Show All
    • 5d

So does someone need to ask you not to vomit just inside the door at the store? Do you need to be asked not to shit in the middle of the street? There are certain things that most people just assume from others, one of those things is to explain irrelevant remarks, or prepare to have no one pay any attention to you. Imho.

• 5d

You’re right. People should ignore irrelevant remarks, like this one.
      Good bye.

• NO! There is not reason for a national emergency at any of our borders.

0|0
    0|1

Recommended myTakes