Do you think government should force poorer people to have no more than one kid?

In places where overpopulation is problem?
I mean it's usually true that people who are financially stable think wisely before having too many kids and those who are poorer pop out lot of kids (without thinking if they can raise kids well or not) and then rely on government for freebies
What do you think?

0|3

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 33

• The major issue with a one-child policy is that you are creating a generation that will have double the amount of seniors to take care of than they have peers. Making poor people have only one child and combining that with the fact that rich people tend to have small families anyway AND combine the fact that women's education seems to be the leading reason for why birthrates are falling in developed countries, you will end up with an aging population problem.

What could be done is change the whole social welfare system so that it does not support people who live off of freebies.
    But I have no idea how that can be done. An issue that might arise is them turning to crime even more than they already do, which would lead to further incarcarations which in turn would bloat the prison system which in turn means more tax-payer money going to support those. Would that be cheaper than handing out freebies?

Another solution might be forced-employment in some kind of governmental job. But that also means more tax-payer money going out for the sallaries. But maybe that would be slightly better anyway - I mean, better we waste money on giving them a sallary for doing some menial task, than giving them a sallary for sitting on the couch?

Oh, wait, another idea came to mind. Do not pay the poor in terms of social welfare - instead just supply them with food and that's it. But their great number of kids absolutely need an education so perhaps the welfare system could cover their school expenses, at least in part.
    Though I don't know where would we get the food. That and it would raise the prices of virtually the entire food industry because of them just having to hand over free food.

Or we could just reintroduce child slavery.

0|2
    0|1
  • Overpopulation tends to be a problem in places where people used to need to have a lot of kids because of high child mortality rates. It became part of the culture.

I don't think that government intervention on a Chinese scale is the answer, but something does have to be done, for sure.

1|3
    0|0
  • I am against restrictions however there is an easy solution in the monetary system.

For the first child you get a lot of child benefit. And then per child you have to pay child benefit back. So on your third for example you are paying rather then earning and with every new child it increases.

It would encourage moderate stable birthrates while still giving you the freedom to do it if you can sustain them.

0|2
    0|0
  • Indian politicians are way more worried are votes than population. This country... smh

1|1
    0|0
  • People have children in inverse proportion to their education and the availability of birth control. So it's not "poor people", it's "women who had a crappy education and are working a poorly paying job and have no access to health care" who get pregnant at an early age.

So the government should ensure that every person gets comprehensive sex education and has access to reproductive health care. That will go a long way to reducing teen-age pregnancies.

0|0
    0|0
  • I think that the government should support no more than one kid, its up to be parents to behave in a responsible way until they can afford to have more children. I say this because I see families welfare with multiple kids and there should be a reasonable limit with that. I think its ok to have more than one kid but the government should have a cap on how many kids they will support

0|0
    0|0
  • You are asking about forcing them so i would say NO.

If you don't know about emergency of 1975-77. There was skim of vasectomy introduced by indira gandhi government. Currupted indian government enforced lits of people to do vasectomy.

Even government had done vasectomy of those people who were already of 75 years (just to show numbers). We all know that 75 year old age people have no desire of having child anymore.

That was the darkest period of indian history that they have done vasectomy of those people who had not even single child.

Next year, because of these things Indira gandhi lost the election.

Means that if governance is good enough they will just explain the people to restrict no of babies they produce. I hope that no government would bring such rules. They have to pay lot of political prize of that rule by losing the election.

Idea of introducing the enforcement of this rule is not bad at all. Even there are some countries where if you are second child from one MOM then people will discriminate you. So thats better idea over the enforcement.

0|0
    0|0
  • We need to think about this differently or we're all in trouble...
    We can't sustain the population because. We have countries still at war and no one really cares. 2b people don't have access to clean water.
    People playing geopolitics because they can't trust each other.
    People exercising population control because they didn't have the foresight to see this coming.
    Thus,
    No...

0|0
    0|1
  • Well... no, people just should be more well-educated and not be such morons to the point of over-reproducing like fucking lemmings or whatever. How would the government even institute this "force," anyway? Doesn't seem like something legal or feasible.

0|0
    0|0
  • As much as I think everyone should only have a max of one kid, no. I don't think government should have that much control.

1|0
    0|0
  • That's my opinion when it comes to government 🙏

1|1
    0|0
  • No we aren't livestock what happens if we lose that one kid and if say just have another then we are already headed down the wrong road if this happens

0|0
    0|0
  • If overpopulation is your concern, I believe the best policy solution is education of girls. In many (most?) first world countries the children per woman is under the replacement level of 2.1.

0|0
    0|0
  • I'm in favor of population control. If need be, have a purge but exempt people who don't have kids and get sterilized (they'd be sent somewhere safe for the day).

0|0
    0|0
  • I think the government should control how many children
    are covered by Taft, Snap benefits unless the parents have
    a disability and the ones who don't should go to job training.

0|0
    0|0
  • No China is a prime example off how shit off a idea that is

1|0
    0|0
  • That's a tough one. It feels rather inhumane to mandate something like that, but on the other hand I've seen an individual repeatedly have kids she can't afford with guys who can't afford them either, and as a result, her family has struggled financially to help her with the kids and she will probably be on government aid for the rest of her life.

Normally, I would say something like "let them live with their mistakes", so they would fix the issue they have in their lives, but since there are kids involved, who have done nothing wrong, it becomes difficult.

0|0
    0|0
  • Sorry, but your question is so full of gaping generalities and fallacies that I can't begin to answer.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yeah sure then they can pick out a nice girl for me to of my liking. Then they'll get repaid by me having 3 kids plus I wan't that myself

0|0
    0|0
  • I think the poor should overthrow the government in a revolution.

0|1
    1|1
  • I think that's unethical.

But I do think you should incentivize people to consider whether they can care for a kid before they make one.

0|0
    0|0
  • This is why the world is getting dumber. Trash humans are knocking out 6 kids and professional couples have 1

0|0
    0|0
  • not really, I think we should force the government to stop screwing us... thats a better start

0|0
    0|0
  • I think it would have it's advantages to make that rule for everyone in overpopulated countries, not just for the poor because then the population can be at least a little bit more controlled but it also has its disadvantages because this rule will not stop all the people from having just one child and there lies the issue of what will happen if another child is born, you can't take away the child from its parents cause that's cruel but if you don't do something then people will think that they can still do it since they'll think that there won't be any repurcussions.

0|0
    0|0
  • Why would government do it..
    They say.. That breed more..
    And they know plenty of their Livestocks of humans will survive..
    Than once they are +18 we will shower them with little gifts.. And get their Vote..

If poor people stooped breeding..
    Population of middle and rich class people will increase..
    This people are educated and their vote cannot be easily bought..
    They are wise and understand things on higher level..

Government doesn't care about people.. It's care about its own power and advantage it sees for itself in Political moves..
    And uses its Centralized economic system.. To keep its citizen slaves..
    Working their whole life and surviving on nickle after they retire..

0|0
    0|0
  • Kinda hard when each kid = higher welfare check payout.

0|0
    0|0
  • No.
    That isn't why we have governments.

1|0
    0|0
  • in china and India's case it wouldn't hurt

1|1
    0|0
  • its a myth

1|0
    0|0
  • Absolutely not

0|0
    0|0
  • Show more from Guys

What Girls Said 7

• How awful. No. No way.

1|0
    0|0
  • YES. It is a huge huge problem especially in countries like mine (South Africa). You cannot try to build a better country and wealth for all, when people in poverty are popping babies by die dozen. It is revolting to want to bring up children when you know you cannot even give them basic needs.

1|0
    0|0
    • 3d

Actually, since you're from South Africa, I wanted to ask you some questions, if you don't mind

• Show All
    • 13h

Then b) the problem also with BEE is that it does not matter what your competency is.. you will still get preference because you are black. So even if a white person is better suited for the job skills wise, the black person will still be selected.

Then c) the white population has declined significantly. In fact we are less than 10% of our population. But yet there is a lot of laws against us and we are constantly told we do not belong here, even our government leaders has said things like kill the boer which directly means kill the whites. You have no idea how we are treated here. We are the "immigrants" despite our ancestors being here since the 17th century.

Then lastly.. BEE makes no sense anymore considering apartheid ended 25 years ago. The government had plenty of time to help and assist and reform. Hell I do not even mind BEE really because I get the purpose of it. But you cannot have things like BEE while having a disgusting excuse for a government who steals all our money while the majority of this country lives in poverty.

• 13h

Also let me remind you our former president of our country who was in charge for several terms believed you can wash yourself clean after sex to prevent HIV aids and also has the education level of a 5th grade. No really.. he did not even finish PRIMARY SCHOOL

• What if a rich family becomes poor and have three kids?
    Would they have to give two away?

1|0
    0|0
  • I understand the reasoning, but no one should have their lives controlled like that. And there are so many factors. What if the person had twins?

0|0
    0|0
  • At least two no more I know a guy who got at least 15 kids and he gets tax rebate and I know a girl who got two kids with a married man and she lives off us.

0|0
    0|0
  • I think everyone should have less babies

1|0
    0|0
  • 2-3 kids and end large scale immigration. The economy and rich depend on there being cheap minimum workers to replace the current ones when they get old and die as well as to pay the taxes otherwise the goverment's taxes will come out of their pensions when they get older.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes