Is patriarchy just a feminist conspiracy theory?

The theory goes that there is an elite shadowy organization of men who seek to take away women's rights and enslave them in the household. A common theme for conspiracy theories is to revolve around shadowy elites. But the said elite is so secret it can never be found out about, but somehow the conspiracy theorists know how to combat this elite.
As a modernist ideology feminism can never fully comprehend tradition, therefore all its claims based on traditional gender roles are invalid.

315

Most Helpful Guys

• That's actually a common misconception about what is meant by "the patriarchy."

When feminists discuss the patriarchy, they're talking about a system of society and government that is largely controlled by men, not a secret gathering of men who all agree on what should be done and how to maintain control, just the fact that it's mostly men in power.

This is verifiable fact. Men hold 76% of house seats and 76% of senate seats, the vast majority of both houses of congress. They also make up most hiring managers across most fields including STEM and government jobs.

The argument isn't that men secretly coordinate as one collective to control or exclude women in some shadowy organization. The argument is that the people who set the rules mostly happen to be men, and the rules they set tend to give advantages to men and disadvantages to women by virtue of implicit bias.

Often implicit bias is a factor during hiring decisions, giving out raises, and writing laws or setting policy. People don't have to be consciously racist or sexist to end up having racist or sexist impact. Most people generally try to be decent people, but our judgement is affected by the way we are socialized and raised.

That process of socialization is also set mostly by men. Despite most teachers and professional caregivers being female, curriculum and school financial and hiring decisions are mostly made by men, as well as school dress codes and other policies that affect students and children.

The argument is not that men are bad or evil, the argument is that our culture is built on a foundation of traditional values that have historically been discriminatory against women (again, this is verifiable fact and mostly impossible to argue against; no one thinks women were on equal footing with men 80 years ago), and that this system still has profound impact today on women growing up in and living in this society.

We're more progressive than our grandparents, but our grandchildren will look back on movements like MGTOW and men's rights with disdain in quite the same way that we look back with disgust at the anti-suffrage efforts of men at the turn of the 20th century.

While the internet is riddled with stories of men facing gender based discrimination, real life still mostly give men the benefit of every doubt, and gender based discrimination against men is relatively uncommon.

• If you replace 'men' and 'women' with 'workers' and 'bosses, you get exactly what Karl Marx theorized as class warfare. Strange how things work out like that eh? :)

• I think in traditional culture it’s a “thing” probably.

In the modern west gender roles still exist and they give significant benefits and drawbacks to both men and women. I’m sympathetic to those who would like to reduce gendered expectation and treat men and women more equally. However, the idea that patriarchy is the primary organization model of our culture or that most of society is designed to benefit men as a class at the expense of women as a class is almost absurd.

One of Marx’s key observations was that society is structured so the rich stay rich and above the working class. He has a variety of terrible plans to solve this problem. Marxist influenced groups have used the same model, but replaced the rich with white people, or men.

But while his solutions were terrible I think Marx was more on the ball on this one. It’s about the money more than anything else. OJ killed a white woman and walked.

Most Helpful Girl

• Talking about Western society, not in the past but nowadays, yes.
    They (feminists) want to break the norms. I will give an example, they want to leave their armpit hair because men also do it.
    Well dude, this is NOT equality, it is just DISGUSTING. Equality means equal rights. Women have the right to work anywhere they want, go to any place they want to go, do anything they want (except the ones like I have stated above) what else do they want seriously? Matriarchy? I bet those idiots will want men to rule countries again after they fuck many things up.
    It is the truth that men are superior to women at some fields, but feminists forget that in some other fields it is the other way around. We might have equal rights but our abilities are not the same, we are made to complete each other.
    Talking about Asian society, Asians were already treating women good before the West realized what "equality" is. However in the modern day, women in Western countries are more advantaged than in Asian countries.

• Interesting views you have :)

• It's not matriarchy they want, it's just they have warped views on society. They're convinced modern "equality" is a lie. It's just cosmetic. Just saying I used to believe that.