Do you want to (or already have) children and are you liberal or conservative, or centrist?

I'm making this poll to see if there is a correlation.
  • I am liberal and I do not want children
  • I am centrist and I do not want children
  • I am conservative and I do not want children
    Vote C
  • I am liberal and I do want/already have children
    Vote D
  • I am centrist and I do want/already have children
    Vote E
  • I am conservative and I do want/already have children
    Vote F

1728

Most Helpful Guys

• Without going too far down that road, I voted "Conservative," but I always, when I see this kind of question, have to put an asterisk over it. My conservatism is not what Americans typically call conservative. Because what Americans call conservative is, historically speaking, not conservatism but is, rather, classical liberalism.

My conservatism, which for convenience I will call classical or Tory conservatism, traces its intellectual pedigree through Aristotle, St. Thomas Aquinas - and probably most importantly - the 18th century British statesman and political philosopher, Edmund Burke, and also the British Prime Minsiters Benjamin Disraeli and Lord Salisbury.

In an American context, it shows up in the thinking of Alexander Hamilton and then - almost by historical accident, the American Whig Party, and the former Whig turned Republican, Abraham Lincoln. (It is a great historical "what if" as to what the GOP would have looked like had Lincoln lived and the radical Republicans not gained the ascendancy.)

Classical conservatives believe, unlike American conservatives and liberals, that the purpose of government is to answer Aristotle's first questions of politics, "How ought we to live? What kind of a people do we wish to be?" To which classical conservatives respond that the purpose of government is to nurture civic virtue. To reinforce those habits and customs that make a harmonious and stable social order possible.

Here I'll stop without going in to more detail than you probably want. Beyond that, I have three children whom I love with all my heart. I cannot imagine my life without them or my mother.

Not sure what that proves - as I imagine there are plenty of others of all stripes out there who want (and don't want) children. However, I hope that helps. I'll be interested in what your thesis is and what you find - please do post an update at the appropriate time.

• So, in broad terms, you are for the government telling people what is and isn't okay, morally and socially speaking?

• 7d

You could argue that there are also purely practical reasons for not murdering whereas there may be little to none when it comes to prohibiting gay people to be gay.

• 7d

Those are all moral arguments. We decide these questions as a society through various institutions - schools, the media, and of course, our elected institutions and the law.

To debate whether allowing gays to be gay - although, just to add, I am not aware of anyone arguing that they should not be, in fact the law is going the opposite direction - is not to legislate whether or not we ought legislate morality. It is, rather, arguing what shape morality - as expressed and reinforced in law - ought to look like and be.

The flaw in your argument is that to say we ought not prohibit homosexual conduct is morally neutral. In truth, it is rather deciding what morality as expressed in law ought to be. By your logic, it is implicitly immoral to allow homosexual conduct. Certainly some may believe that, but the point of legislating is to reach a consensus for society as a whole on what morality ought guide law.

• I am conservative, I do not have children, it's very unlikely that I ever will, but I wish I did have children.

Most Helpful Girls

• I am neither conservative nor liberal, actually more like liberal at some fields but conservative in some others. (E. g. I am not against abortion but I am against LGBT)
    I am not planning to have children yet, I am just too young for this. I don't think my thoughts would change in the future, however If I had any, I would want them to be slightly conservative, nit that much. I wouldn't want them to be on extreme end points like alt-left or alt-right.

• What you're describing is basically being centrist. Like a "balance" between the two.

• But my conservative views are dominant by a little difference.