How do you feel about the gender-neutral pronouns (they/them/theirs to describe a single person)?

• I'm cool with it
  • I'm OK with the concept, but it should be a new word - they is too confusing when used for just one person
  • I think it's weird - people are either female or male so her and him is all we need
    Vote C
I think it's interesting that the guys overwhelming think it's weird, while the girls are pretty much evenly divided.

I expected a difference by age, but not as much of a difference by gender.

With almost 100 votes in, the results are still showing a very large percentage of guys (86% at this point) voted for "it's weird" while far fewer girls (38% at this point) voted for that.

I find it very interesting that there's such a big difference.

2340

Most Helpful Girls

• I don’t mind it. It could get confusing if you’re not used to it, but if someone I knew preferred those pronouns then I’d happily go with it.
    There is also zee, zem, and zir if the others are harder to remember to use.

• In Finnish, which is my native language, we only have gender neutral pronouns so I'm used to the idea and sometimes naturally refer to people with these gender neutral pronouns in English, too.

• That's interesting. I didn't know that. The languages I'm familiar with all have gendered pronouns. Are there others you know of that use only gender-neutral pronouns?

• Not that I know of but then again I only speak four languages. I would assume at least Estonian is the same because it's a close relative to Finnish but I'm not sure since I don't know Estonian. Other languages in the same language family might be the same, like Hungarian. Although that's such a distant relative that I'm not sure about that either.

Most Helpful Guy

• You know, think about it, why don't we just have one word to refer to people, and use adjectives if necessary.

• That's done in Tagalog.

Tagalog has pronoun ᜐᜒᜌ ("siya"; "sha" or "s'YAH"; 「(s) he/him/her」) for singular and ᜐᜒᜎ ("sila"; "see-LAH"; 「they/them」). As you can imagine, misunderstandings can happen when the names and/or context fail to identify the referred-person's sex. This is where English's more precise pronouns are best. Diluting that is killing English's advantage.

• @cipher42 This article draws a number of responses. The example solutions didn't even mention the potential solution of rewriting the sentence.

「How much can you tell about someone from (?) choice of Wellington boot?」
      Possible solution 001: "How much can be told about someone based on choice of Wellington boot?"
      Possible solution 002: "Choice of Wellington boot reveals who much about the wearer?"

「If you’re allergic to oils or perfumes, remind your therapist before s/he lays hands on you.」
      Possible solution 001: "Prior to any physical contact, please remind your therapist of any oil- or perfume-allergies you may have."
      Possible solution 002: "Therapists should be reminded of all allergies prior to any treatment."

It is possible to convey information while still staying grammatically consistent.

The article does prove the historical usage, but not superiority in terms of establishment. At best, I'd say they're both doable, but I'm still sticking to grammatical consistency.

• @N192K001 Using singular they is conveying information while staying grammatically consistent, and without any extra effort in reconfiguring the structure of the sentence. Cool if you don't want to use singular they, but that doesn't make it the slightest bit ungrammatical. It's been in use in English for over 600 years, and has outlasted generic he and is rapidly replacing "he or she". If you don't want to use it, no one's making you, but it is a rule of English grammar whether you like it or not.