Is it wrong to fill cigarette packs with warnings?

Personally I feel like it's too much and an attack towards people's rights. I don't smoke cigarettes often and wouldn't advice anyone to do so, because it's unhealthy and the worst of all, many people get addicted to it. However many people want to smoke daily. They like it and it's a part of their everyday life (I know many). I think it's very important that we know what the products we consume do to us. That's why it's good to make for example ads and articles about the health hazards that a great amount of cigarettes may cause, but filling a legal product with mostly misleading arguments and disgusting pictures is just another way to put good people on their knees, and show disrespect to them and to their choices.
To me this is a big deal, because I believe in capitalism and in trade without a government interference. What's next? Is it beer or maybe candies?
Pack of cigarettes in the USA. Probably because of the Constitution and Republicans.

Pack of cigarettes in the UK.
Pack of cigarettes in the UK.

Pack of cigarettes in Australia.
Pack of cigarettes in Australia.
  • Yes
  • Hard to say
  • No
    Vote C

3759

Most Helpful Guys

• The cigarette companies have to put those warnings there. It’s every persons legal right to be made aware of possible side effects of a product. If they didn’t put them there, and one of their consumers developed lung cancer for example, the company would be legally held liable because they did not put the proper warnings on their product. I’m all for capitalism as well, but just as everyone has the right to choose their product they also have the right to be made aware of what it could do to them.

• I agree that people should made aware of the health risks (as I said), but obviously they shouldn't change all branding to disgusting warnings..

• There are probably less graphic ways to do it, but honestly I can’t really bring myself to care. Those are pictures of what can actually happen to those who smoke. They’re likely extreme cases, but you know what they say “seeing is believing”.

• No, it's not wrong. If you believes in the freedom of choice, it would make sense you're also supporting informing people so they can take an informative decision and know which consequences there are. There's no free choice if they don't know they've a free choice and know what it's about.

Most Helpful Girls

• I think there should be a fine print on the box that states the risks but not photos because it clashes with the companies branding and logos which isn’t fair. Yes smoking is harmful but just about everyone knows it and people still do it I just don’t care to walk around with a picture of a clamped open eyeball🤷🏻‍♀️

• My country has universal healthcare. Given how much smoking related illnesses cost the system I’m all for discouraging people to smoke.
    Do it to McDonald’s next 👍🏻

• Well, in America you have to warn more than McDonald's eaters.

• @WhatAboutBob I like how this meme is just trying to portray false equivalence... While also being an example of false equivalence at the same time.

• @SketchForger
      Glad you liked it.