Is it bad to be selfish?

This question was inspired by the results of my previous question:
Is it selfish to do a selfless deed for the sole purpose of making yourself feel good?
  • It's always bad
    Vote A
  • It's always good
    Vote B
  • It's usually bad
    Vote C
  • It's usually good
    Vote D
  • It's as much bad as it is good and vice versa
    Vote E
  • It's neither good nor bad
    Vote F
  • Other
    Vote G
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

1|0

Most Helpful Girls

• It would depend on if you are an altruistic person or not. A selfish act to an altruistic person is usually regarded as bad. However, it becomes understandable if the selfish act is to protect yourself from a taker in a relationship, where you choose your own mental health over the other person, whether they be parent, sibling, partner, coworker, or someone else, by not giving to them anymore.

To a selfish person, being selfish wouldn't be regarded as bad, because they exist on a different plane, where it's every person for themselves. Others are competition, not friends, and to keep them from getting ahead they never give anything away. This is an extreme example, where a person is chronically selfish, rather than a particular instance when someone is selfish. When people are selfish, I think they switch back to a mode that is better suited for our earlier levels of existence, where choices are based on survival and self-preservation.

Being selfish is not a virtue. The fact that it exists is proof that as much as we spout good deeds and works, we remain very much grounded in our human faults and animal instincts. We do our best to fight it, but we daily make selfish choices. All we can do is recognize when we are driven to do something that helps us rather than the group, and consciously change the pattern.

1|0
    0|0
  • I think it's ballanced. I'm quite the selfish and realist type while my mom is supportive and optimistic. She wants to help everyone and give advices too, since people also ask her for help sometimes, than if something wrong happens than they blame her and than she comes complainin about it with me.
    If something doesn't concern me than I have nothing to do with it, because if I give any opinion, than the work behind it will be put on my back. It works just fine for me.

0|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Guys

• There are 2 ways I view the term 'selfishness'
    In my opinion, it's never bad to be selfish, to think of yourself first before others, because other people do not own you as you do not own other people. I believe that's self-love.

1. I give, I love, I show affection and interest to the only people who would do the same for me, so we would have mutual profits. And yes, that is selfish as well, but is it bad? I don't think so. I do not have enough time and energy to take care of the whole world. It's a better investment for me to care for a few people who care for me back.

2. Secondly, I believe that selfishness is a failure to understand other people differentiations, or worse, not even try to understand.

0|0
    0|0
  • Selfishness is bad when it results in harm (screwing over other people for personal gain), just as selflessness is bad when it results in harm i. e. when you let people hurt you.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• I don't think it's necessarily good or bad. It depends on what you do.

0|0
    0|0
  • You cannot put people first all the time... for my experience it just blown up in my face. You give, they take and you get nothing in return. Sometimes you have to be selfish and put yourself first for your own good.

2|0
    0|0
  • As I said in the previous question you asked; it isn't necessarily a bad thing to be selfish. A lot of people are far more selfish than they are selfless. Why? Because you have to look out for #1, or for those that have children and such, the #1 becomes them (the children) instead... Usually.
    I have no shame in being as selfish as I am. No one is here to care for me, so it's just me in the end. I call a lot of acts of selfishness to be self preservation.

0|0
    0|0
  • I only become selfish when I reach a point with someone (when they don’t respect my decision on certain situations).
    But other times I don’t find it acceptable to be selfish all the time... it’s just not nice at all!

1|0
    0|0
  • So is wrong to do right? I can't see that ever being the case. Even if its for the wrong reason (s). Sometimes that's what it takes to get somone started on the right track. That is how most children learn - not misbehaving to avoid adverse consequences. We all do it & it makes us better.

0|0
    0|0
  • It's certainly not bad or wrong to be selfish. Everyone is selfish. It's only a matter of degree. Like Jimi Hendrix sang "My shadow comes in line before you".

0|0
    0|0
  • You can't pour from an empty cup! Take care of yourself first before tryin to take care of others! BE SELFISH SOMETIMES!

1|1
    0|0
  • I like people to be selfless with loved ones, but I prefer people to be selfish above utopian activism & self-loathing in favour of groups/races they’re not even part of, like the wretched SJWs do

0|0
    0|0
  • which is most people these days , such as teachers that don't really give a crap whether kids learn or not and while they refused to teach until the bankrupt states pay them $200,000 a year even when it is going to destroy their state.

0|0
    0|0
  • It is neither good nor bad. Selfishness is a motive, not an action. It can cause bad actions, and actions can be objectively good or bad. Motives, to my knowledge, cannot be.

1|0
    0|0
  • I am Not One, Hun, By Nature But... I can Be naughty. xx

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes, because any aspirations of being in a relationship or having a family requires you to be unselfish

0|0
    0|0
  • It's never good, but today's society is rooted in self worship.

0|0
    0|0
  • It depends. If you being selfish results in hurting your surroundings it’s bad. If it doesn’t have a negative influence it is neutral

0|0
    0|0
  • You can't feel good for doing a selfless deed if you're selfish.

0|0
    0|0
  • It's okay to be selfish occasionally. If you don't look after Number One, who will?

0|0
    0|0
  • Usually bad but only if you're caught being selfish does it get noticed.

0|0
    0|0
  • can't help others if you haven't helped yourself enough.

0|0
    0|0
  • A good balance is ideal. I mean, you have to take care of yourself to survive, right?

0|0
    0|0
  • It is bad to show others that you are selfish. Otherwise everyone is selfish

0|0
    0|0
  • We're all selfish one way or another. It is neither good nor bad. It just is

0|0
    0|0
  • It really depends on what the selfish act is.

1|0
    0|0
  • It works for me.

0|0
    0|0
  • I think it's not really bad.

0|0
    0|0
  • Depends on what your being selfish about.

0|0
    0|0
    • 6d

reaadddyyy, just leave her alone. That is inappropriate, and that sort of comment is not appreciated here

• It's necessary

0|0
    0|0
  • if you're ALWAYS being selfish

a little here and there is fine but, if you're ALWAYS being selfish, no, it's cool

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes