Is it true in Japan, most people on average deep down want to have children and start a family but can't because it's too expensive in their country?

and the fact that their crazy work hours would never give them time to raise their children (if they end up actually having one)?

I'm just wondering because of the low birthrates in Japan and why Japanese people are having less children than the majority of the other world.
  • Yes
    Vote A
  • No
    Vote B
  • Others
    Vote C
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• There are approximately 130,000,000 people in Japan. If the Japanese do not have children, where in the hell did all those people come from? Don't say they're imported because they all LOOK Japanese! :)

0|1
    1|0
  • I'm sorry but most of the reasons given so far in this thread are based on stereotypes of Japanese culture. Seriously, hentai, dating simulators? What a way to reduce a country's problems to something so primitive and simplistic. Stop reducing countries to a stereotype, for gawd's sake.

The fact of the matter is, as with anything in life, there is a whole host of underlying reasons behind Japan's low birth rate.

I'm going to list down five that I can think off the top of my head and you can be sure it's nothing related to hentai or dating simulators.

1. In regard to female emancipation, women in Japan are still behind the West. It wasn't too long ago - actually, it is only quite recently, that women have been encouraged to work and hold jobs. Think about it from Japan's perspective. Why should more than half of the workforce stay at home or take up part-time roles when they can fully contributing to the economy? Japan has relaxed immigration policies in the last five years EXACTLY because they are facing huge labor shortages. Now that women have more options to that, it's no surprise that they put off having kids and a family - something that was, and is, still seen as an inevitable choice in Japanese society.

2. Did you know that fertility treatments are NOT included in Japanese health insurance? It is the government that offers subsidization for things like invitro fertilization, and in 2016, the Japanese government doubled the size of the subsidy.

3. Did you know that most day cares in Japan close at exactly 5.30 pm, when a good portion of society is still at work? And the waiting list for most day cares stretch to the Middle East? Even then, culturally, there is still a bit of stigma about sending your child to day care.

4. Do you know what it's like to live with just one child in a cramped apartment? Space is a premium in Japan, and even if people have kids, they're most likely going to have one. How can you have 3-4 kids when you can see what your neighbor in the next building is watching on TV next door from your bedroom? And you can see every part of their living room as well?

5. Having a child in Japan is frikkin' expensive. Japan is an expensive country to live in. Even with aid from the Kodomo Teate Law, which provides 13,000 yen (USD 117) to parents with children below 15, it is still frikkin' expensive, especially if you live in Tokyo or any of the big cities. Rent is expensive. Food is expensive. Everything is expensive.

Having said all that, if you go through all the countries' birth rates, you will see that Japan isn't very much lower than other countries. It's birth rate is very comparable to countries like Poland, Germany, and Nordic countries in general, Taiwan, South Korea, etc.

0|0
    0|0
  • Why not ask the Japanese themselves?
    What Japanese Think of Low Birth Rate in Japan (Interview)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8t4L-8H4FTA (9min:55sec) from 04 July 2016
    "Why Is Japan's Birth Rate So Low?"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2QoTe_EXnM (9:44) from 24 October 2017

0|0
    0|0
  • No, the way I got it explained to me its that their culture pushes the personal career and work so hard that it gets in the way of dating and maintaining relationships.

That is also why dating simulators has taken off over there since people want a boyfriend/girlfriend only on demand and not have to bother with them otherwise.

0|1
    0|0
  • They'd rather watch hentai, visit those inn's where people are paid to keep you company, all because they don't know how to have human interactions.
    That's part of the reason why their country is dying out.

0|2
    0|1
  • Well it's expensive to live there and more women is joining the work force meaning there's more competition and less time to mingle.

So I'm sure there's people there that would love to start a family, but it's just tough.

0|1
    0|0
  • Japan’s economy is far more balanced in terms of wealth distribution than the US. In the US the top 1% makes an astronomical amount of money compared to the middle class, and there is a large amount of very poor people.

In japan, things are more even. Less super rich people, less super poor people.

Other than that I don’t know. There is a culture of honor and hard work in Japan. So much so that people feel extreme guilt, anxiety, and who knows what other emotions simply from the stress of having to be a hard productive worker.

I’m sure there’s a lot more than this. This is all I know and all I’ve learned which isn’t much.

0|1
    0|0
  • Nope. They’re often just too damn busy for dating properly.

0|1
    0|0
  • A year or two ago I saw in the news that the Japanese government was doing everything it could to get people to have children so the nation could survive

0|0
    0|0
  • I think financial issues are not the reason for this.

0|0
    0|0
  • nope

0|0
    0|0
  • The reason is not enough females as mates

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes