Do you think shows like Cops, Beyond Scared Straight, Live PD etc... exploit non whites?

I've always noticed it seems like the majority of the people featured on those shows are of black or Hispanic descent and rarely any whites. This is not a racist question in anyway. I'm just wondering do you think shows like that purposely exploit non whites?

0|1

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• I never had a a problem with the tv shows “cops” and “Live PD” because it just shows police officers on their routines and puts viewers in the shoes of the police officers.

However, I do think that “beyond scared straight” takes things too far. It’s kind of disgusting seeing prison guards acting in a condescending manner towards the minors on the show. Example: 3 prison guards who are approximately 260lbs each getting in the face of a 120lb 15 year old.

0|1
    0|0
  • Well, people in poverty are more likely to be arrested in the manner that is most dramatic for TV. In the US, poverty still disproportionately effects black and brown folks.

What I have concluded from watching Cops is that no white man ever wears a shirt at home, not anything better than flip-flops for shoes. I think Cops unfairly exploits guys with mullets, NASCAR fans. Oh, and any time of day or night every household has three-five toddlers in loaded Pampers, with unidentified brown muck around their mouths - is it chocolate or brown gravy? No one knows.

0|1
    0|1
  • Our society in general exploits and demonizes non-whites because of racist old laws that are still in place from the days of segregation and slavery, and there being old white men from that age still making laws like that because of their racist beliefs

1|1
    0|0
  • No. Statistically those groups commit more crime so they are more likely to end up on those shows. Just like how serial killer documentaries are more likely to have Whites.

0|1
    0|0
  • Not really. If that's who they find doing illegal activities, that doesn't make them racist. And as a side note, I can't speak for the other shows, but I've seen plenty of white drugees in Cops.

0|1
    0|0
  • I don't know, aren't those like just cameras recording what actually happens? So... How would they change what actually happens to exploit a certain race?

0|0
    0|0
  • Iv seen clips from beyond scared straight and that’s just abusive no matter what skin color they have

0|1
    0|0
  • Yes i have noticed some of the stuff on them shows
    should not be allowed but they do it.

0|1
    0|1
  • It doesn't exploit anyone any more than the local news does

0|0
    0|1
  • I’ve seen whites there most of the time tho

0|1
    0|0