Are basic skills like handwriting, reading maps and quick maths becoming obsolete with the integration of technology in society?

With how common and available technology is these days are these basic skills being cast aside?
Kids are starting with iPads in primary school and cashiers don’t have to count their change back anymore, the till does it for them to minimise mistakes.

Are these skills still needed or are they ok to fade out?

1141

Most Helpful Girl

• I'm really worried people won't be able to write with pen and paper anymore. Most schoolwork is done by computer these days. Even the matriculation exams are done by computer now! Those used to be the pivotal point where all our education came to use, penmanship included. It seems like a disaster to do it on a computer now. I dont think these basic skills should be disregarded, because technology can always fail. You need to be able to read a map, to write with a pen, count at least the basic stuff without a calculator, to learn languages (and not use Google translate). I think it's also good to learn to use technology in school, but they shouldn't replace the basic things.

• 7d

I agree, I think there are still some fundamental skills that need to be kept on top of newer ways of doing things using technology. Someone above said kids can’t read an analog clock 😐 I mean come on!

Most Helpful Guy

• I still think they're essential skills.

I don't really trust technology, and if the shit hit the fan (as I believe that it could), I have no intentions whatsoever of being one of the people who is dead within a week, due to over dependence on technology.

I sound a bit like a prepper, but so much of it is just common sense...