Is giving to charity a moral obligation?

Assuming you having the means to do so-- in other words, if you aren't in debt, are you morally obligated to give to charity? Why or why not? If so, how much are you obligated to give?

One philosopher, Peter Singer, proposed a scenario where a child is drowning in a fountain, and you are passing by on the way to work in fancy clothes. He made the argument that, just as one is morally obligated to save the child despite ruining their clothes, one is obligated to give to charity despite the possible inconvenience. However, if this is true, many of us are doing something evil!

So what are your thoughts?

616

Most Helpful Girl

• I don’t feel like anyone is obligated to give to charity. I feel like you should do it because you want to do it and because it’s something that makes you feel good regardless of your financial state. I have debt and give to St Jude every time I can. It’s just something I personally love to do.

• So, if someone refuses to donate to charity (even if they have hypothetically millions of dollars to spare), would they be doing something wrong/evil?

Most Helpful Guys

• People offer their conclusions without any reasoning. "Yes, because I said so," is not really convincing. Why is anyone obligated to follow a moral code?

• Hmm, I don't quite follow what you're meaning. Ultimately, I don't think anyone is obligated to follow a moral code. By "moral obligation," I was asking whether it'd be an evil/wrong act or not if one refused to donate to charity. I consider moral obligations and legal obligations as generally separate entities.

• Each of us decides for our self whether to follow a moral code. How can you have a moral obligation if you don't follow a moral code?

• Sort of an obligation. Also at another level, you feel bad for them if a calamity has hit a place or a freak accident occurred.

• Could you explain what you mean by how it is "sort of" an obligation?

• There's a lot happening in the world - cancer, lack of education, lack of food and water, natural calamities etc. If you don't contribute to anything, nobody would say anything because nobody keeps tabs on who is contributing to what.

But a small voice in your head might ask you to, especially when you are earning well at a given point in life - that's what I meant "sort of". It's almost like an obligation to your conscience even if nobody knows whether or not you are contributing.