Do you know the symbolism of your national flag?

• Yes
  • No

1330

Most Helpful Guys

• The cross symbolize Christianity since it used to be a common religion in my country. Nowadays most people are atheists and agnostic though.

There's people saying the red, white and blue color are inspired of the French flag because the French people were known for fighting for freedom. Some also claims the red is inspired from Denmark's flag and blue from Sweden since Norway used to be in union with them. Some even says blue symbolize the sky and sea, the white snow and the red the Christian warrior Olav the holy's blood; a man who killed other people (also innocents) to spread the Christian religion in the end of the viking time.

I've always thought the red symbolized socialism, the labor movement etc. before someone said otherwise. I didn't know that. The warrior king is still celebrated though although he contradicts the modern Norwegian values in so many ways. He's like a Christian version of jihadists. He didn't travel much abroad, so not exactly a crusader.

• Yes, it's a combination of the St George's cross, the St Patrick's cross and the St Andrew's cross, representing England, Ireland and Scotland. Wales isn't represented separately, due to it being considered a subordinate principality to England, at the time of the design.

Most Helpful Girls

• On the contrary of what most people know, the star and the crescent on the Turkish flag does not represent Islam.

The crescent: Central and East Asia, where the Turks were inhabiting. Also it is similar to Shamanist sign. (Our old religion.)

The star: All Turkic peoples. Includes Turkish, Kazakh, Kyrgyz, Uzbek, Altai, Yakutsk, Azerbaijani, Turkmen, Bashkord, Kipchak, Cuman, Old Huns.

After Turks were converted to Islam due to Arab conquests it was turned into the symbol of Islam.

Here is the symbol of Shamanism:

• Stars & Stripes <3 Do you know the symbolism of your national flag?
    The red stripes represent the 13 original colonies. Meanwhile, red symbolizes courage while white stands for purity. The 50 stars represent the current 50 states. The blue color on the flag stands for justice.