Is abortion a human right?

Is abortion a human right?
Is abortion a human right?
  • Yes
  • No

2245

Most Helpful Guys

• The British statesman and political philosopher Edmund Burke wrote, "The effect of liberty to individuals is that they may do as they please. We ought see what it will please them to do before we risk congratulations." Therein lay the problem with laws that permit abortion on demand.

A society that premises its law as "Choice"- to use the locution of abortion rights advocates - effectively leaves open the question of the value of human life. It becomes not a standing principle, but a subjective judgment to each individual. In such a society, human life becomes not an end in itself, but mere instrument. Life becomes not an object whose preservation is the highest standard, but rather a convenience to be maintained or not according to the satisfaction of another's will.

We shape our laws and then our laws shape us - see also the civil rights laws of the 1960s which have effected a revolution in race relations. (The idea that a black man and a white man cannot sit together at the same lunch counter is as alien to this generation as Neptune. Yet in 1965 it was pretty much the norm.)

Inherent then in the pro-choice argument is the idea that life has no value save that which each person chooses to attach to it. It denies society any authority to make a collective judgment on such questions. Therefore, in this view, the law may not afford protection to life except at some arbitrarily defined (and inherently subjective) point.

This then conduces to an assertion of power over rights. Life is maintained not as its own end, but according to the will of the person who, effectively, controls it because they can. An ethic of convenience is established and it is a slippery slope on which to build a culture and a legal edifice.

Such a society will not value life that sees life as not an end, but as a means to some other end. Indeed, that is why at about the same time as the culture began to shift on the abortion question we also saw a rise in child abuse, spousal abuse, divorce, out of wedlock births and other social pathologies. These were not unrelated phenomena.

Aristotle said that the first questions of politics are, "How ought we to live? What kind of a people do we wish to be?" The implicit answer of those who support abortion on demand is, in effect, that it is nobody's business. Predictable results follow.

One cannot expect the society to absent itself from collective moral judgments on the value of life and then expect an ethical social order to result. Put simply, if abortion is a human right, then the very notion of rights becomes problematic.

Less then a question of rights, than of the power to assert one's will. That would be a very dangerous conflation, to say no more.

• I don't think i'd say that it's a right. But, i do think the option to abortion, should be open to women who ether, don't want a baby or would be injured or killed from taking a pregnancy to a full three terms. Through, at the same time, i think there should be a time limit on how long you can wait, before having a abortion. I think a 3 month time limit is a good point on where to draw the line. After 3 months, the heart, nervous system, and brain turn on. An what was just a collection of cells, is now capable of feeling things like pian, and has the possibility to have some low level of awareness. At which point, i'd call him/her a person, who would then have certain right to, like basic human rights. That include rights like, "Article 3" Everyone has the right to life, liberty and security of person., and "Article 5" No one shall be subjected to torture or to cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment.

Most Helpful Girls

• And this is what I base my argument on. As a social worker, it no better to watch negligent kids.

Molested and beat. That real "life"
    Where are those saints than? HAlf of them could not do my job and keep an iron stomach or dry eyes. I didn't do this job for the money that for sure. I did it because it makes more progress than standing around holding a sign. Many of these same people are trying to end plan parenthood at the same time. It like world make up your mind? half of these children will be on food stamps and assistance. That we all must pay for. Many of my clients can't even get half the people to rent to them because their scared of section 8 yet still want to save babies? I don't think any of those people care or can think anything further passes their noses... that in the air.

Humanity is so cruel. It ass backward and it takes a village to raise a child but look out the window and you would not see an offering hand anywhere. Just judging eyes.

• Yes. If someone is physically hurting me, then we can call the police and make him stop by force. Same with pregnancy - fetus is an intruder who is causing many health problems, and a woman should have a right to take out of her body anything that is damaging her

• I like that analogy!

• @Ellie-V You can't genuinely be so void of empathy and emotion.

• I don’t have a good reason to to exercise my empathy towards aborted kids