• Yes
    Vote A
  • No
    Vote B
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|0

Most Helpful Guys

• The British statesman and political philosopher Edmund Burke wrote, "The effect of liberty to individuals is that they may do as they please. We ought see what it will please them to do before we risk congratulations." Therein lay the problem with laws that permit abortion on demand.

A society that premises its law as "Choice"- to use the locution of abortion rights advocates - effectively leaves open the question of the value of human life. It becomes not a standing principle, but a subjective judgment to each individual. In such a society, human life becomes not an end in itself, but mere instrument. Life becomes not an object whose preservation is the highest standard, but rather a convenience to be maintained or not according to the satisfaction of another's will.

We shape our laws and then our laws shape us - see also the civil rights laws of the 1960s which have effected a revolution in race relations. (The idea that a black man and a white man cannot sit together at the same lunch counter is as alien to this generation as Neptune. Yet in 1965 it was pretty much the norm.)

Inherent then in the pro-choice argument is the idea that life has no value save that which each person chooses to attach to it. It denies society any authority to make a collective judgment on such questions. Therefore, in this view, the law may not afford protection to life except at some arbitrarily defined (and inherently subjective) point.

This then conduces to an assertion of power over rights. Life is maintained not as its own end, but according to the will of the person who, effectively, controls it because they can. An ethic of convenience is established and it is a slippery slope on which to build a culture and a legal edifice.

Such a society will not value life that sees life as not an end, but as a means to some other end. Indeed, that is why at about the same time as the culture began to shift on the abortion question we also saw a rise in child abuse, spousal abuse, divorce, out of wedlock births and other social pathologies. These were not unrelated phenomena.

Aristotle said that the first questions of politics are, "How ought we to live? What kind of a people do we wish to be?" The implicit answer of those who support abortion on demand is, in effect, that it is nobody's business. Predictable results follow.

One cannot expect the society to absent itself from collective moral judgments on the value of life and then expect an ethical social order to result. Put simply, if abortion is a human right, then the very notion of rights becomes problematic.

Less then a question of rights, than of the power to assert one's will. That would be a very dangerous conflation, to say no more.

0|1
    0|0
  • I don't think i'd say that it's a right. But, i do think the option to abortion, should be open to women who ether, don't want a baby or would be injured or killed from taking a pregnancy to a full three terms. Through, at the same time, i think there should be a time limit on how long you can wait, before having a abortion. I think a 3 month time limit is a good point on where to draw the line. After 3 months, the heart, nervous system, and brain turn on. An what was just a collection of cells, is now capable of feeling things like pian, and has the possibility to have some low level of awareness. At which point, i'd call him/her a person, who would then have certain right to, like basic human rights. That include rights like, "Article 3" Everyone has the right to life, liberty and security of person., and "Article 5" No one shall be subjected to torture or to cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment.

0|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girls

• And this is what I base my argument on. As a social worker, it no better to watch negligent kids.

Molested and beat. That real "life"
    Where are those saints than? HAlf of them could not do my job and keep an iron stomach or dry eyes. I didn't do this job for the money that for sure. I did it because it makes more progress than standing around holding a sign. Many of these same people are trying to end plan parenthood at the same time. It like world make up your mind? half of these children will be on food stamps and assistance. That we all must pay for. Many of my clients can't even get half the people to rent to them because their scared of section 8 yet still want to save babies? I don't think any of those people care or can think anything further passes their noses... that in the air.

Humanity is so cruel. It ass backward and it takes a village to raise a child but look out the window and you would not see an offering hand anywhere. Just judging eyes.

4|2
    0|0
  • Yes. If someone is physically hurting me, then we can call the police and make him stop by force. Same with pregnancy - fetus is an intruder who is causing many health problems, and a woman should have a right to take out of her body anything that is damaging her

5|1
    1|2
    • I like that analogy!

• Show All
    • @Ellie-V You can't genuinely be so void of empathy and emotion.

• I don’t have a good reason to to exercise my empathy towards aborted kids

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• literally every asshole that thinks abortion shouldn't be a basic human right is a piece of shit. its their body, its their choice, they dont want a baby, they dont have to have it. i know for a damn fact none of you assholes who dont like abortion are gonna care for the "kid" after its birth. abortion could literally save someones life while not really ending one.

5|3
    2|5
    • There is no life tho this is the area people are stuck on sure it’s technically “alive” but it’s basically brain dead it has no idea

• Show All
    • @va_GINA There is a huge difference between saying something should be banned and saying it is a human right. Many pro-life people do care about the child's quality of life, you don't have to prented they don't to justify being pro-choice.

• Honestly why is it not surprising that most men voted no? They don't have to carry a child for 9 months and don't have to deal with any what ifs, therefore they shouldn't even get a say. If I don't want a leech on me then I'm going to take it off and get rid of it, if I don't want a baby in me then I will take a pill and get rid of it. No one can force me to keep something growing inside of me and leeching off my body if I don't want it to.

4|1
    1|3
    • So you support the murder of unborn babies. What a lovely lady.

• Show All
    • And how are they disgusting? If I accidentally get pregnant then I'm definitely not keeping it. I'm 17, okay? Why would you make me keep a baby when I'm not even a legal adult yet? I never said I was using it as birth control method and when I ever have sex, it will be as safe as I can possibly make it. I can guarantee no one uses it as a birth control method, it's costly and it's expensive and painful. People like YOU who say they're pro choice but really aren't is what is disgusting.

• @Randomawkwardness If you're too immature to accept that many people do use it as a birth control or that being pro-choice doesn't mean you're just flat out okay with anyone getting an abortion because they want one you shouldn't be a part of the conversation. If you get pregnant and decide to abort you better have a better reason than 'I'm 17' thinking abortion should be an option like taking a paracetamol as you do is disgusting as you're killing a child, you need good reason to do so not just because you can't be bothered with the situation and want a more convenient option.

• Yes. You can't force someone to remain pregnant. Neither morally nor practically.

7|5
    2|3
    • You aren;t qualified to say the word "moral". How about we force women not to fuck then, to prevent living infants from being torn apart with pliers? Nah, abortion is just wrong, sometimes we all just have someone depending on us and we need to help them until they can survive without us, especially if that person is in that position because of our actions.

This isn't a debate, it is a lesson.

• Show All
    • @Timelesswisdom it's written as "add your opinon" for a reason, so she can give her onion. Don't attack her for that!

• Realize my freedom with the freedom of others

• I honestly don’t know about that. I am 110% pro choice but calling abortion a human right as an argument will backfire because fetuses are human.
    I acknowledge that fact wholeheartedly but I just don’t agree that their lives matter 🤷🏾‍♀️
    And then the argument from there will slip into this rabbit hole of morality and personhood... blah blah blah.
    So I will not be quick to say that it is a human right.

3|1
    1|1
  • I love how a majority of the girls voted yes and a majority of guys voted no.
    I don't think the ones that impregnate understand the situation the same as the pregnant ones.

5|1
    2|3
    • Don’t worry 36 percent of us get it

• Show All
    • @elite665 I know, we're on the same page. That was meant to be for Organic_Pineapples

• @elite665 Duh, the point is that if more men and women used protection then it would reduce millions of unwanted pregnancies. Sure, condoms and birth control are not 100% effective, but they would greatly reduce unwanted pregnancies.

• Absolutely not. It is not your right to kill an innocent life.

1|6
    6|5
  • It would be considered a human right only if the birth of the child would cause several psychological trauma and/or the woman is not in a position to be taking care of a child at this point and time. I would not consider it to be a human right if these two criteria are not met.

0|0
    0|0
  • While I agree with abortion being legal it is not a human right.

3|5
    2|1
  • Considering abortion loops back to a persons right to their own body, yes I would argue so.

4|3
    1|2
  • Nothing like the warm putrid glow of a internet dumpster fire. MMMMmmmmMMmmmmm. Smells like moldy onions...

0|0
    0|0
  • i believe abortion is wrong unless raped, but I believe in freedom and freedom of choice. so there creates a conundrum that is unfixable.

best to just leave the issue alone. lol at the "my body my choice bullshit" and the politicians deciding peoples fate, both are just ignorant

0|0
    0|0
  • I wouldn't call it a right, but I think women deserve that decision.

3|1
    0|1
    • Nobody should have the right to kill an innocent life. It's murder.

• Show All
    • According to your logic that's what you implied. And Jesus said "By their fruits you shall know them" Anyone who calls themselves a Christian while still supporting abortion is a liar and a wolf in sheep's clothing.

• You and the implications. Find something real to talk about. Implications aren't real.

That's your opinion, and you're welcome to it. It doesn't make it the truth though.

• When two adults go into a sexual relation without protection, at that time was there CHOICE. The only time it might be a choice is if the person was raped and abortion is done in the first 48 hours. Or if the baby is a high risk on the mother's health.

0|0
    0|0
  • This is one that I will not give an opinion on, no matter what you say it will anger someone on either side of the debate.
    But in the end it come down to the mothers decision with medical professionals providing advice.

0|0
    0|0
  • Guys cmon let them kill the aliens they can’t comprehend what is happening at all period. People can argue they have a nervous system at that stage and shit but they can’t feeeeeeel it because their brain can’t comprehend pain at this point if your condom breaks and omg I’m pregnant you want to force them to have the baby that is bs I’m sorry but really

0|0
    0|0
  • Bodily integrity is a human right, which flows over into abortion. So no, abortion itself isn't a human right. Self-determination over your body is a human right, which brings about abortion.

1|1
    1|0
  • Yes and men don't have to carry a living thing inside while experiencing intense pain and giving birth is the most painful thing ever so they will never understand how women feel.

0|0
    0|0
  • Bodily autonomy is a human right. So yes, effectively it has to be.

2|1
    2|0
  • Is basic medical care a human right?
    Is getting antibiotics for an infection a human right?
    Than yes

3|1
    2|2
    • How can you compare abortion to antibiotics?

• Show All
    • No it's not. A baby isn't classed as a parasite even when the pregnancy is dangerous, you don't even know what you're talking about.

• Either way. An abortion is just a medical procedure like any other medical procedure

• Pro choice and kick the government out of people lives

2|2
    1|1
  • No. A fetus is a baby. Fetus is Latin for baby.

A baby is not a woman's body. It is another's body.

1|2
    4|4
  • It's legally assigned right and that's all that matters. As humans we kill everything that moves and even that which doesn't move to any great degree.

0|0
    0|0
  • Autonomy over your own body is Human Right, so by extension abortion is a Human Right. No one has the right to dictate what an individual can or can not do with their own bodies.

0|0
    1|0
  • Abortion is a complicated issue. I see both sides of the story. On one hand, pregnancy can have drastic life changing effects on a woman’s body, and she should be able to choose wether she wishes to undergo such a process. On the other hand, it’s not only her body that’s being affected. Especially in the case of a late term abortion in which the child may be viable outside the womb. As a man I don’t feel qualified to answer this question in its entirety. Do I feel abortion should be a human right, no. However I understand, and do not blame any woman who chooses to think or act contrary to that opinion. Because in the end, I realize I don’t know what making that decision must be like.

0|0
    0|0
  • It is a human tragedy and murder. If a woman can kill a child then anyone should legally be able anyone else anytime that they want to.

1|1
    2|4
  • Yes..
    I am not pro-life or pro-choice. I am pro-abortion. I believe all children deserve death. All government funding across the world should go towards planned parenthood. No more military, no more healthcare, just abortions. Unite all the countries in the world for this cause. Change the UN into the UA, United Abortions. All these silver spoon politicians sitting up in their ivory towers, not giving a single fuck about what happens to the common man? Without us, they are nothing. What about the real problems, huh? The human race needs to be eradicated. That's just the simple truth. #humanabortion2018

1|0
    0|0
  • A better question? Is being allowed to live before you’re born a “human right”?

1|0
    0|0
  • Unlike what the stupid religious weirdos think, it is a human right

2|2
    2|2
  • No, abortion is murder. See my My Take titled: If Unborn Babies Could Talk.

1|0
    0|0
  • If it was a human right men would get an equal say in it.

2|0
    0|0
    • Its NOT men's bodies that are under question so men by definition can not have any say in it. So it can not be human right for men.

• Every human being is entitled to life liberty and pursuit of happiness, abortion takes away the first of those

1|0
    0|1
  • I wouldn't say so, abortion is human made, you couldn't abort a baby without medical professionals. So if there were no doctors you wouldn't have much of a choice right?

0|0
    0|0
  • Maybe it SHOULD be but this isn't the way the world works. If abortion is a human right then suicide should be the same.

0|0
    0|0
  • Don't view it as a right per se but I rather the option exists especially in places where once a woman is pregnant and unmarried she's shunned etc.

0|0
    0|0
  • Is abortion a human right?

0|0
    3|0
  • No, it's against human rights by all means.
    It's taking people's tax money not by choice to spend it on a woman who wants to kill her baby.

1|0
    0|0
  • No, abortion is a grave violation of human rights, and it should be punishable by death.

1|0
    0|0
  • They call it a womans right. So she can kill her child if she fucks out of wedlock.

0|0
    0|0
  • No its not a right, it should better be a duty to abort errors of nature.

0|0
    0|0
  • It's not. It's murder of an innocent human being who has done no wrong

1|0
    0|1
  • It is a human right

3|3
    2|2
  • No..

2|4
    3|3
    • You were brainwashed by a religion

Religion is super anti women

• Show All
    • @foodtv But most atheists I've come across support abortion, killing unborn babies. How is that moral?

• @Organic_Pineapples If someone gets an abortion it's most likely in the best interest of the fetus or unborn baby. We don't need another person on this planet suffering. And if you're going to argue that they could get adopted or fosterd, there are still so many kids that struggle from that, in a multitude of ways. Plus if you force the parents to take care of a child and they don't want it or can't afford it, then that's really not fair to the child either. At least this is like taking them out of future misery while they aren't aware of the the world and don't or hardly, depending on the time, have a consciousness. In a way it's almost like deciding when to take a loved one off of lifeline.
      The world is filled with so many people, atheists AND non atheists, that do things that are immoral or question the morality, that are much more damaging than saving a life like that in my opinion.

• It’s 100% fine.

3|2
    2|1
    • It's a pity you wasn't aborted.

• Show All
    • That doesn't mean it's morally right. Rape will always be around, but that doesn't mean rape should be condoned. Anyone who supports abortion will go to hell after they die. God is real and there will come a day when everyone will be held accountable, and hell is for eternity. In the end there will be justice.

• You have no say in this. You can’t create life. Bye.

• It should be the same as murder...

2|2
    5|4
  • Nope.

2|0
    1|1
  • Life is a human right, ending one isn't

2|0
    1|1
    • Legal aspects aside, calling abortion a basic human right is absurd

• yes it is

0|0
    1|0
  • It's a woman's right.

1|0
    1|0
  • No, not in my opinion and I'm against it.

1|0
    0|0
  • Yes it should be

0|0
    0|0
Show More

Recommended myTakes