Should Universities and elite education institutions accept students based off of their grades or off of their race?

• Grades
    Vote A
  • Race
    Vote B
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy
Updates:
50 SAT points are removed for Asian Americans due to their race, while African Americans are given 230 bonus points for their race:

www.latimes.com/.../...utoring-20150222-story.html

Asian Americans require the highest SAT scores while African Americans and Latinos require the lowest scores to be accepted into Harvard:

nypost.com/.../

0|0

Most Helpful Guys

• Grades.

Race quota's are bullshit and often times do more to harm minorities affirmative action for instance gets minorities into some colleges that they are not qualified to be in and it often leads to them being overwhelmed and either fail out or drop out on their own.

It'd be better to put people in schools based on grades and other similar factors because it would reduce drop out and fail rates. And would ensure that kids get put into the colleges that suit both their tastes and their grades.

0|3
    0|0
  • White = racist
    White = misogyny
    White = Privilege
    White = literally evil

1|2
    1|0

Most Helpful Girls

• Grades, most definitely! Choosing which students to be accepted into elite universities (or any university - for the matter) based on their race is frankly, quite racist.

2|5
    0|1
  • It should go off of grades alone. Everyone should have to make the same standards.

1|6
    0|1

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• We live in a world where race defines people, unfortunately.

0|0
    0|0
  • Wut how is this even a question? 😂education institutions should accept students based on grades obviously! Your race doesn’t define your intelligence

1|3
    0|2
    • Have you heard of Affirmative Action?

• Show All
    • And the twist is that it comes from people who try too desperately not to be racist and cause everyone else of being racist.

• Affirmative Action is BS! Colleges are "for profit" organizations. People with good grades pay to go there and get a diploma and a good job. Businesses hire people with a diploma. Would you hire someone with a good college GPA and being qualified for a job or someone who squeaks by because of government telling you that you have to hire someone because of their race?

• If we want universities to be based on merit alone, then we should also scrape Legacy Admissions.

Legacy admission is preference given by the university to those applicants on the basis of their familial relationship to alumni of that university. So if your parents went to Harvard, you, as their child, will be given "bonus points" for your application.

If we want it to be based SOLELY on merit, then yes, scrape Affirmative Action AND Legacy Admission.

0|0
    0|0
    • Private institutions can do what they want; in this case the motive is to increase the likelihood/amount of donations from alumni. As far as I know, public institutions don't consider legacy as a factor.

• @zagor That still doesn't take away from the fact that Affirmative Action and Legacy Admissions are one and the same, two sides of the same coin: they are not based solely on MERIT. Whether an institution is private or public doesn't change the principle of the matter.

• Both and more.

There are many factors that should be employed in evaluating the acceptance of a student at a college just like there are many factors that should be employed in evaluating the acceptance of candidate for a job at an organization.

1|0
    0|1
  • Eh grades aren’t everything, but race as a quota is a crock of shit. If someone performs reasonably well academically then they should be evaluated on their overall character and talents as well. There is more to college than being good at answering multiple choice tests.

1|0
    0|0
  • Grades only, People should get into educational establishments on merit not on the current agenda of 'Equality of out come' that is being espoused by the Social Justice crowd that are now starting to infest the educational system.
    If people do not get though their education on their merits but by being mollycoddled and give passes for this and that you set them up for failure when they leave education and enter work life where you are judged on results, not ethnic or social background.

0|0
    0|0
  • Seriously I can't believe that question has been honest in this day and age of acceptance and tolerance surely should only be on graves and it shouldn't even be about how well for you are everyone even on the bottom rung of the ladder should be able to go there it's not quite like that in my country but it has tried to be I'm from the UK only

0|0
    0|0
  • It's complicated. Grades aren't a perfect means of comparison. Some classes are easier than others. Some schools grade easier than others. Standardized tests were created to try to equalise things but they did too good a job and they don't account for circumstances, not to mention paid test classes etc. If students were admitted based on only grades and test scores half of elite college would be Asian.

0|0
    0|0
  • You mean, all you have to do is be black and IF you go to school you fuck-off and skip classes all day and they still give you passing grades? What would be the point of even GOING to school, then? All you'd need to do is call them up one day and say, "I's black! Where's my brain surgeons degree, mofo?"

0|0
    0|0
  • I literally see not a single benefit to the pushed diversity quotas, literally none. They are essentially telling younger people who work their ass off that they can be passed over because they have a quota. That is just ridiculous (at best) and a sure fire way to completely fuck up a society by inserting unqualified individuals into positions that could be better served by someone else.

0|1
    0|0
  • hahaha such jokes --> well lets not forget about the scandals of all those rich folks that were buying their kids entrance into Ivy League schools

and thats just because they got caught! imagine how much more this actually happens in all facets of life --> proof as to why the rich stay rich

0|0
    0|0
  • These schools specifically should be merit based. We are going to watch NYC tear apart the few good schools they have.

The funny thing is the highest percentage of people let it were people of color. Yep. Asians. So now what are we going to say. Whitey rigged the system for Asians or are we going to recognize it’s the cultural differences of the subgroups that made the difference.

Maybe instead of giving people preference based on skin color we should take these underprivileged kids and teach them the values the Asian kids learned so they can perform on merit?

0|4
    0|1
  • both. it is importsnt to have the future leaders learn around others that are different cultures AND have good grades. the legacy admissions and buying their way in is bullshit.

2|0
    6|10
  • Ideally, people would be accepted strictly based on academic performance, but that isn't the case. Extracurriculars are taken into consideration and legacy is also taken into consideration. I have a question for you. Why do so many people complain about race being a factor and do not complain about legacy being factored in?

0|0
    0|0
  • I'm Asian and I don't get this big deal about Asians wanting to go to Harvard, Yale, Princeton, UCLA, etc.

I am fine with the state university I am in. I think we should abide by Martin Luther King, Jr. and judge not by the color of their skin, but by character.

1|0
    0|1
  • Well I can kind of see why, since then you'll have more diversity in the workforce.

But at the same time I see a lot of problems with certain people getting admitted just because of their race. Rather than being based on grades and their extracurricular activities.

0|0
    0|0
  • It's never based solely on race, it's a combination of all factors. Really, people are so ignorant about this.

2|1
    0|0
    • Yes, but diversity is a factor, in fact Asian students who get higher scores are largely rejected on the basis of other factors, white students on the grounds of diversity.

• @Jackblue that's literally what I just said... it's a factor, in consideration with many others. It's not a deciding one. If you aren't getting in then you need to do something to make yourself more interesting.

• People started discussing removing the 2010 "equality" act in Britain because if something like this.

Schools and employers shouldn't be forced to hire certain types of people I'd they wouldn't work well in the school or job.

0|0
    0|0
  • It’s true, so many dumbass white people get into schools because their grandfather donated a library or something.

0|0
    0|0
  • If you are going into receive brain surgery would you rather have the guy who got in off his grades or the one off his race?

0|0
    0|0
  • Grades, and money should not be a problem, at least here in Portugal if you prove you can't pay but have the grades, the state pays all the tuitions, and that's the minimum, bigger help may come in it paying the food and also the dorm, if you need it

0|0
    0|0
  • People need to realize their White Privilege.

Without White Priledge their grades would be lower and this question wouldn't exist, duh

2|0
    1|0
  • As a black person I want black doctors for their unique characteristics.. I feel 3000 times more comfortable talking to a black doctor... Hell all my doctors are black and I have received stellar service from all of them even diagnosing complicated issues I've had where other doctors were not knowledgeable. What a shame it would be if I found out they didn't make the scores to get into medical school😢 So i'm torn here... Without knowing my doctors scores individually it's hard to say whether, or not it was fair to let them in based on race.

0|1
    1|0
  • They should accept students based off of their grades, obviously.

0|0
    0|0
  • I think someone should get into college because they're smart, nit because their name is Julio Gonzales or Shaniqua Williams.

0|0
    1|0
  • State ones should base it upon grades. Private ones should base it upon whatever they deem appropriate.

0|0
    1|0
  • Should be based off of grades, basing off of race will just cause students to get lazy while punishing students who do the hard work.

0|0
    0|0
  • "Elite institutions" that determine acceptance based on race is like deciding movie of the year honors using sense of smell.

0|0
    0|0
  • Grades mostly but, a series of test should be given out to test actual capability to ensure that they didn’t cheat their way though.

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't think it matters because until you can start a movement like the yellow vest movement, you will see no change

0|0
    0|0
  • W8...230 bonus points,? aren't black people "oppressed" ... America is the worst white supremacists state ever

0|0
    0|0
  • Whatever method they want. If they want to auction the spots off, they should do so.

0|0
    0|0
  • Grades. Idc about a persons race, yes i see their race because thats part of who they are but idgf past that. Your race doesn't define you just like my race doesn't define me. Race should never matter unless its this race tends to have this medical issue just like oh your family has had a lot twins so you may have a gene that increases the chances you have twins. (Not saying its true or not) so grades 100%. I once heard a story about a janitor who gave the solution engineers were having a hard time figuring out. If a janitor with a GED can do that then why the fuck should race matter. *end rant*

0|0
    0|0
  • Why is this even a question?

0|0
    0|1
    • Because it's widespread and happens everywhere. Check out the links. I know it's ridiculous, but many institutions and universities don't agree.

• Grades.. anything else would be racist.

1|2
    0|0
  • G R A D E S ! !

0|0
    0|0
  • If it was based on race and then grades, good...

0|0
    2|4
  • Color doesn't equal intelligent?

1|0
    0|1
  • Grades. Period.

0|0
    0|1
  • Grades. It should be merit based

0|0
    0|0
  • By the grades. Everything else is ridiculous.

0|0
    0|0
  • Isn't that the pure definition of racism?

0|0
    0|0
  • Doesn't matter. Just pay $500,000 and you're in

0|0
    0|0
  • affirmative action is racist to whites and Asians

0|0
    0|0
  • Grades obviously

0|0
    0|0
  • Grades.

0|0
    0|0
  • 100% grades. I'm not 100% sure how applying to colleges work, but I feel like we should just stop asking what a person's race is on applications. There's really zero point. It only causes problems. But once again, I'm not sure how applying to colleges works and if it's a face-to-face thing. Plus, I suppose you could tell by the name a lot of times.

0|0
    0|0
  • Do you want the best surgeon to perform your open-heart surgery or the one that's the "correct" race? Easy answer there...

0|0
    0|0
  • Gosh, if only primary and secondary schools were all funded equally, and white kids with ancestral wealth didn't receive the benefits, while students of color suffer.

0|0
    0|2
    • Actually, more is spent on the average black student than white student in America.

• Show All
    • @OnlyYouKnowThat I don't claim it's the only important factor.

But there is disparity in opportunity. The playing field is not level. Yet.

• Do you think lowering the grade for entry into university will level the playing field?

• its too late for that. The leftists have ruined societies. It always amazes me how people think equality is the solution

0|0
    1|0
Show More

Recommended myTakes