Would there be fewer accidents if driverless cars were being used in the society?

Do you think it will drastically reduce the rate of accidents occurrence unlike a normal car that you drive by yourselfWould there be fewer accidents if driverless cars were being used in the society?

1|1

Most Helpful Girls

• I don't trust technology, I actually don't like it that much. Not driving yourself is just lazy, it should be exactly how it was years ago. We don't need anything more, unless we want to end up like a lot people say, like Wale-e.

1|0
    1|0
  • Nope... I’ve heard of cases where the person was in a driverless car and it ended up hitting a person crossing the crosswalk

3|1
    0|0

Most Helpful Guys

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• I feel like it would be safer the more people are using it, as long as there is a setting where people can still have the option to manually drive in case of an emergency.

1|0
    0|0
  • Driverless cars are very fascinating. Goodbye chauffeurs, goodbye rude cab drivers.. log on to a website, book a ride, pop! There it is!

Drones can now fly as a swarm. Can cars move in the same manner in the future? How will we call it? A herd?

For now, it will be limited by hardware.

Sensors, cameras and radar have lags of a few milliseconds. Ever noticed the slight delay of the image appearing on your camera the moment you point it at your subject? If your car has an infrared sensor, and you rush into a parking slot, it won’t have time to react to a tree in front of it.

Navigation, for now, requires a clear view of the sky, better if there are no clouds. What happens when you go into a long tunnel that has forks? I hope they figured this out.

Finally, one thing I don’t like about technology is what happens when it crashes. Does it mean cars will literally crash? What happens if some terrorist hacks into the satellites and damages them? I remember when the intranet in the hospital crashed. People simply panicked!

I’m sure this is where we are headed. Are we the last generation that knows how to drive? Looks like it.

2|0
    0|0
  • We won't untill the time comes to having around 100,000 - 1,000,000,000 per state. Are they going to know when the traffic lighr is red, yellow or green. Will the vehicles know when it is safe and is allowed to turn right or left? Will they know when it is safe to change lanes? Will it know the road signs and be able to follow them? Will they know whst speed limit it is on each road? I know an area that the speed limit changes a couple times within.5 mile - 1 mile? Will it know how to park in a parking lot especialk a busy parking lot? Will it know when it is safe to back out of a parking spot? They need to think of all of that first. There is one that hit a pedestrian already. The equivalent of a distracted driver would be the computer malfunctioning. I bet you will have to put the address in fo where you want to go. What if you need to stop at a rest stop but do not know the address. You would have to look it up and could posdibly be too far past it. You would have to see what is coming up so you know what to look up so you can use the restroom if needed.

2|0
    0|0
  • Nah computers aren't smart enough yet & if they ever become tht smart we're fucked & who knows what the car companies would do with your driving information there wouldn't be ANY privacy & insurance high enough already😒(besides I live in the back woods my "streets" prolly won't even show up)

3|1
    0|0
  • Yes, and it's funny i watched a segment on the news the other day and they said the expect self driving cars to spread like the cell phone. And that it'll make car insurance obsolete in 10 years.
    I don't know if i buy all that but it was an interesting story.

1|0
    0|0
  • No, computers can't respond to unique situations like a human can.

Computers may be better in general but on the road there are far too many unique situations.

Computers can't have the ability to deal with all road situations unlike humans can be trained to.

1|1
    0|0
    • And which unique situation are not suitable for a computer?

• Show All
    • A human can think adaptively
      A machine has limits to it's adaptability.

A situation would be:
      You go down a road which is narrowed by many people parking on the curb near it.
      Two people come up on the left but since it is narrowed you also have to be on the left.
      Now there are two in front of you and one behind you and no room to go round.

The computer wouldn't find the solution to this as this solution requires co-operation from 2 other computers.

A human would instantly know one half has to back up for the others to get round. As well as any more cars not to get involved as it would make it worse.

• Yeah, but the fact they have too cooperate is a good thing. You as a human can't always directly communicate with others, so you can't come to an agreement about what you should do, computers would come to an agreement. The situation you described isn't unique. Those who implement the software will have that and many other situations into consideration. So when the computer faces this they will all follow the same protocol

• Once the technology matures it's a no brainer. Of course there will be situations where a driverless car won't get the job done.

I myself cut wood to keep myself warm in the winter. A driverless car won't be able to navigate through rough terrain to get to a tree I want to cut down. The car might be able to get me to the gate on the side of the road , but I must take control afterward. So maybe full autonomy is not the best.

2|1
    0|0
  • Statistically absolutely.

The question is, will the liberals remove our freedom to drive our own cars because there is a safer alternative, this we must all be forced to take that alternative or else go to jail?

1|0
    0|0
  • Not with current technology, but in the future yes that will be the case. Cars aren't going to be distracted by text, personal matters going on in their head or any random distraction other than driving the car. The car won't get tired. So yes, when the technology is evolved enough it will be safer all around. But right now, I don't think we'd see a notable difference. There are cases of self driving cars running people over and getting into accidents.

1|0
    0|0
  • didn't one kill a pedestrian already and they aren't even in use yet... no computer can replace the human brain in the kinds of functions needed to drive just yet

2|2
    0|0
    • look at planes since they became computerised... few crashes this year from computers overiding the pilot

• Initially. No. It will take years before they can really tighten up the technology to be foolproof.

Even then, I expect that updating the software periodically would result in some models operating on different versions, causing crashes between latest and ol-version cars due to the systems interacting improperly.

1|0
    0|0
  • yes definitely. the technology has proven itself more reliable than humans, even though it's far from being fully developed.

however there's a psychological issue. humans are more ok with 1000 accidents caused by human failure than 1 caused by a mashine malfunction.

1|0
    0|0
  • Hell no.

I have every intention of opposing any and all efforts to push self-driving cars onto the streets en masse.

2|0
    0|0
  • As long as there was an agency similar to the FAA that investigated every autonomous car crash and required manufacturers to fix the issues. It's just another example of how stupid our politicians are. If it doesn't involve them stealing money from the poor, they don't care. Look at how Congress supeneaed Mark Zuckerberg to read them the idiot's guide to the internet.

1|0
    0|0
  • I'm going with no. Thats because I think driverless cars will mean more cars, and so the same or more accidents.

(I mean if you don't have to drive that's the school run kids taken care of and out and about elderly. I'm not saying these people don't already drive, or are driven but going driverless means any journey will be so much easier and so more journeys will be taken)

1|0
    0|0
  • One of the first driverless cars allowed on the road, ran over and killed a woman. No one could be held accountable for her death.

3|0
    0|0
  • Obviously there would be a 100% less accidents because of drunk driving.

Listen, offcourse these autonomous cars make mistakes too, which may result in human deaths, but they are waaaay less likely than human mistakes.

1|0
    0|0
  • Probably. But it probably won't eliminate them, and I'd rather be in an accident that I had some control over than the same accident upon which I had no influence.

1|0
    0|0
  • Did you know driverless cars are more likely to mow down black people?

1|0
    0|0
  • At the moment, no. The computers involved are not nearly clever enough.
    But one day they will be. Probably in our lifetimes.

3|0
    0|0
  • Fewer accidents yes. A computer will always react faster than a human however the accident thay happen may be more severe due to way computers think. There will be ethical dilemas it will have to consider

1|0
    0|0
  • It would drastically reduce the number of accidents. 80% of all automobile crashes are caused by human error.

1|0
    0|0
    • 100% of car crashes are caused by human error, whether it's the driver or the mechanic might be different.

• Show All
    • That's the mechanic's or the engineer's fault. People are responsible for anything made or repaired by people.

• Hmm, I suppose I should say "driver error" then. That is less broad.

• Statistically, it is already several times as safe in a Tesla. And the whole fleet is constantly learning and getting better.

1|0
    0|0
  • I think they would be more accidents I dont think that tech is ready yet

3|1
    0|0
  • The idea of a driverless car is pointless to me. There is no reason to invent something like that when it’s just as easy to bring back mass transit.

3|0
    0|0
  • If driver less cars would reduce accidents or not I don't know. What I do know is I could never ride in one.

2|0
    0|0
  • Yes, there would be a decrease in the number of accidents caused by careless drivers

1|0
    0|0
  • Yes, but only if there were only cars with full driving capacity, because they would be made to respect the rules so only software or hardaware errors would cause accidents. Also, traffic jams would be less frequent because traffic lights wouldn't be necessary anymore. Once you approach an intersection all nearby cars would connect to a device that monitors traffic and at signal all cars from a direction would start at the same time with the neccessary speed to avoid accidents, which would allow more cars to pass than with the current system where you only move once the car in front of you moves. Also, if an software/hardware error occurs the car could signal other cars and an accident could be avoided.
    Cons: if someone hacks into your car you're screwed.

1|0
    0|0
  • Not given the state of the technology today. And the worst thing would be a mix of human drivers and autopiloted cars.

1|0
    0|0
  • The only way driverless cars would work without any accidents are if everybody got driverless cars. So no.

1|0
    0|0
    • the death that already happened was a pedestrian so that theory doesn't really work either

• @wankiam What city was this where everybody was driving a driverless car?

• i think it was new york... that google driverless car i think

• fewer

and it depends. if all cars are driverless then you dont depend on human interaction so much, so it could work

1|0
    0|0
  • No. Tesla.. Drive me to First Street. "Sorry, system update" Crash!

2|0
    0|0
  • Without a doubt, soon no one would even have a car driverless or otherwise. Check out the old move Logan's run, that's your "smart city" with driverless cars and internet connected appliances, hardware that monitors your heart, respiration and so on. You can feed everyone, house every one and control everyone. Birth or death determined by an algorithm. Need to get rid of a few million people that are taxing the system due to age or some other reason? Just program in some strychnine in their rations and the robots waiting outside their door to clean them up and "recycle" the bodies. Totally sustainable hell.

1|0
    0|0
  • I don't know if your car was hacked driving off a cliff?

1|0
    0|0
  • A driveless car... smh🤦🏾

2|0
    0|0
  • Probably, less. But a lot depends on the public...

1|0
    0|0
  • Only time will tell.

1|0
    0|0
  • same as now, cuz machines an computers breaks down

1|0
    0|0
  • Yes I think

1|0
    0|0
  • The Ethiopian airplane crash doesn't say so.

1|0
    0|0
  • I highly doubt it

1|0
    0|0
  • Yes because humans are terrible drivers

1|0
    0|0
  • Driverless cars were made for people who don’t know how to drive (I’m talking rules and being courteous). They made back up cameras because the car is either too big or the driver is too lazy to turn the fuck around. Self parking cars help people parallel car because they never learned how to properly. Sure, it’s amazing, but I highly doubt driverless cars will lower the rate of accidents.

1|0
    0|0
  • Yes. The issue is that even with lower accident rates, the fact is that the ones that do occur will be blamed on the technology and people will freak out about it like it can’t be trusted. People feel more comfortable if they can just blame other people. If technology makes a mistake then in their mind something drastic has to be done to fix it, it has to be perfect.

1|1
    0|0
  • I think it would improve situation as today to many STUPID drivers on the road.

Some people say technology is not there yet, they are wrong!

Technology is there just law is behind on it, it will take another 10-15 years to change low so vehicles can drive on its own without human supervision.

Image what will happen, when they will be allowed:

Insurance companies will have a lot of losses.

Drivers will be out of job as it is cheaper to get more advanced vehicle then employ person and pay insurance, and biggest humans flow is that we need to rest and even that is heavily regulated in transport industry, robots do not need to rest, no family...

It is already projects to one lorry, be followed by 5 more without drivers.

Do not forget there is already implemented autonomous cities in far north in quarries, where large distances and no people.

1|0
    0|0
  • No. Old cars were built to last, and often are much easier and much cheaper to repair than modern cars.

Today manufacturers only ever want to increase their profits. One of the ways they do this is by adding extra gadgets to the car. Modern cars are obviously more luxurious than old cars. However another way to increase profits is with planned obsolescence.

Modern cars can often actually break down more easily, and are built specifically to be harder to repair. So whereas with an old car you could repair it yourself with basic mechanical knowledge, now you HAVE to take it to a mechanic who has the tools to do it. I could repair certain things in my old car. Everything was easy to access, it was built that way to make it easy to repair. With my new car I can't get to those parts. Even changing the battery, which is very simple on an old car, even a monkey could do it - now you have to take all kinds of parts off just to get to it.

What does this have to do with electrics? Well, more electrical parts means that more can go wrong with the car. Modern cars break down more easily, often BECAUSE of all the modern technology in it. All by design, to keep you paying through the nose to keep it running. One little thing can go wrong and it will fuck up everything else in the car.

Self driving cars will be just the same. More to go wrong. When you car relies on being driven by an electrical component and that breaks, what then? In an old car you have full control of the car. All I see with all if these extra gadgets is more problems.

2|0
    0|0
  • Of course.
    Automation is much less likely to fail over humans.
    (it will still happen but a shit ton less)

1|0
    0|0
  • Ayyy caramba

1|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes