Why are looks so important these days?

It seems like everybody would have forgotten how important it is to be beautiful from inside because of the huge amount of pressure that social media has given to us about the way we should look like. We see those beautiful instagram models everywhere with their perfect looks and it’s like we forget that they are humans too because they look too perfect to be humans. Everyday we see those beautiful people and we think ”oh she is so pretty i whis i looked like her” but we forget about the thing that is the most important thing in the world and that is to be a good person with a beautiful heart and mind, a person who could change this world even a little bit to make it better with their good heart by being nice to other people. If we all would start to focus more on the way we look from inside and being a good person rather than focusing on our looks so much this world would be so much more beautiful and healthier place. Why are looks so important these days?Why are looks so important these days?

0|1

Most Helpful Guy

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• You always hope for people to look past your appearance and focus on getting to know you as a person but most people just stop at appearance. 🤷‍♂️ It's sad

4|0
    0|0
    • Yes it is so sad and so wrong

• I wish we all could look like super models naturally but not everyone is blessed with perfect looks. It doesn't help that social media portrays a certain beauty standard as well. I hate social media. 😂

• These days? It's always been. Instagram is just the tool of our age to express beauty. Back in renaissance days you painted self-portraits and circulated them throughout the world to brag.

3|0
    1|0
  • It's part of human nature to put looks ahead of everything else.

Attractive people get treated better.

Others think they have more in common with attractive people than vice versa.

Others tend to project positive traits on to attractive people, and negative traits on to ugly ones.

Everyone does this subconsciously. No one trained anyone to think this way.

We can change this once we can accomplish the much simpler task of teaching people not to want money.

We're living life on hard mode.

0|0
    1|0
    • You're not even ugly. You're just insecure about your hair for some reason.

• Show All
    • You can't change people on purpose. It's impossible. All you can do is try to solve the question for yourself.

• You can still try to talk some sense to people and try to make them understand what realy is important and what is truly beautiful in a person. I wish that people would talk more about the thing that really makes a person beautiful

• They are as important as you make them! For me, I have only seen beautiful women who are dumb, older or piece of shit which makes them unattractive to me.

1|0
    0|0
    • Yes that what i am saying ugly personality takes away the beauty on beautiful looking person

• Show All
    • Ok, I understand now but if you reread what you wrote , it doesn't really sound like that 😂

• LoL my bad! Tho I thought I made a good use of the commas.

• May be coz, people are living a metro life. They dont have much time to know the person in real, and want a quick decision. A quick relationship, a quick breakup.. There is an alternative to everything, reddit, tinder etx.. And, first impression is looks.. so the best ones go into the second round of filter..

0|0
    0|0
  • It has always been the case that physical appearance is important. People should stop whining about people that care about how a person looks. One of the key things in a relationship is to be physically attracted to each other. That has always been the case and still is, and logically so. Would you want to kiss or go to bed with a person you find ugly? Definitely not. I at least wouldn't.

Plus, people who are physically fit (and thus more attractive) show one good trait; ambition.

0|1
    0|0
  • Looks are important to people that A. Follow the flow (crowd) and B. Shallow people and C. People who really enjoy sex or sexual deviancy. If you ask most old folks they would tell you finding your best friend in a s. o. is way more important than looks.

0|0
    0|0
  • Candy eye. If something is agréable to look at you will definitely want to spend more time with it, it can be an animal or a human, or the way you want to buy a gadget more expensive just because it’s super fashionable. But even if the look attract the personality make you stay.

0|0
    0|0
  • The reality is relationships begin with physical attraction. If you’re not into someone’s beauty or appearance, it’s not going to happen.

0|0
    1|0
    • That is not always true.

• Show All
    • Don’t feel sad. Just live to the best of your ability. It all works out in the end.

• Modern world has become so fast paced that nobody has time to get to know a person before judging them, the fastest way is to judge by the looks, that's why dating apps are so popular now.

1|0
    0|0
  • Because you can be pretty and have a good heart too.

Shocker.

0|0
    1|0
  • Looks are being more important because of society and big companies. Just my thoughts. There’s a lot of money to be made off of people with low self esteem that wanna be more good looking.

1|0
    0|0
  • They always have been. Even 100 years ago there were actors and actresses known world wide for their beauty.

There are people who are remembered from ancient greece for their beauty.

It has always been praised

0|0
    0|0
  • Looks have always been important to people where have you been. Since the dawn of time humans have been prioritising looks.

0|0
    0|0
  • Looks have always been important- this was certainly the case when I was a teenager.

1|0
    1|0
  • Only plastic people are completely consumed with it.

1|0
    0|0
  • Looks have always been important but even more so now due to social media.

1|0
    1|0
  • Because people are conformist, shallow, and stupid.

2|0
    0|0
    • lol better to try to conform to what’s ideal than be a loser outsider

• U are right... good luck with that beautiful thinking.

2|0
    0|0
  • But you look like a model yourself. So looks must be important.

Nothing wrong in wanting to look good.

0|0
    1|0
  • They always have been it shows a bit about peoples genes and they are your first impression

0|0
    0|0
  • Movies, social media, Madison Avenue, etc. The superficial is now the primary.

1|0
    0|0
  • They've always mattered. But I guess it depends on how you want to look at it.

Your questions suggests that:
    1. Looks are in fact very important and
    2. That it's so much so, it's disproportionate from the past.

I'd argue there's no difference between people caring about how they look today and people caring how they looked 10 years ago. If that's what you mean. If you mean people caring about looks in general, as in who they surround themselves with and date. That's another one I would say there's really no difference from 10 years ago in that regard, other than what is considered attractive. I remember in highschool, skinny jeanned up EMO guys were the hot thing. Some went as far as wearing the eyeliner. All of those people very much cared about looks in general. How is that different from today? Instagram is the social media of choice? I guess you could try and say it's different, but it's not. It's the same thing, different platform.

0|0
    0|0
  • Either you got to be filthy rich or have a good look.. life is a struggle otherwise

1|0
    0|0
    • Well, rich people can go bankrupt, good looking people can be caught in a house fire... a runner can lose their legs in a car accident, life is very fragile, and it holds you nothing... and life is often a struggle, a struggle we might be blind too for someone else. An example of this a very rich couple I knew had it all to see, everything. But I know them, and I know that they would give it all up tomorrow to be able to have a baby of their own. And I know what they've struggled with and faced to try to have a baby; To them, I'm the rich one, even though financially I'll never have what they do... so life isn't always what it seems on the outside either.

• Looks have always been important to men and women... deal with it.

0|0
    3|1
    • Once you start only date hotties, you start seeing things differently.

• True.

2|0
    0|0
  • I think Social Media is very dangerous sometimes

2|0
    0|0
  • Shallowness

1|0
    0|0
  • Not to everyone depends on person

2|0
    0|0
  • Not so fast. Even a good heart can be corrupted.

0|0
    0|0
  • I'm beautiful both ways, so I don't know.

0|0
    0|0
  • When were looks ever NOT important?

0|1
    0|0
  • Superficial society, numbed by ads

0|0
    0|0
  • I think it has always been important lol

0|0
    0|0
  • Well you don't you are hot

0|0
    0|0
  • It would depend as to what you class as good looking? It would also depend on what you find attractive? You could think one thing about yourself and someone could see the opposite. I think that there's someone out there for everyone, and if they want to change you, it's not you they want. But I guess I've just reached that point, and, 'lump it, accept me for who I am, or don't accept me at all, either is fine, nothing lasts forever and nothing is promised to anyone'.

1|0
    0|0
  • This isn't a "now a days" thing, its always been like this. From ancient Greece obessing over hair styles and oiled bodies to the victorian age having 5 outfits for one day to modern day. Appearance has always been focused on.

0|0
    0|0
  • It's not only social media, it's also movie industry that creates this illusion. Very often heroes and positive characters are depicted in movies as physically beautiful and villains or evil characters are depicted as rather ugly. This happens very often in children's movies so children are manipulated from the young age to think beauty is associated with being a good person (halo effect). Plus, we are living in a society obsessed with pleasure, not morality, so people want to look at attractive people, not good people. Morality is seen as an impediment by many.

1|0
    0|0
  • The answer is included in your own question. You said it yourself: Instagram
    Instagram, materialism and conformism has ruined and corrupted people's minds
    Yes, beauty has been always praised but never in the past people have been so overly focused over it.
    That’s because they have no values, kindness, they're careless, insensitive and cynical

1|0
    0|0
  • Agree💯

2|1
    0|0

Recommended myTakes