Do the terms "colored" and "mulatto" offend you?

If YES, please explain why.

Some teacher who is herself mixed race is being disciplined and had to apologize because she referred to a group of black students as "colored".
I know "colored" in used in South Africa to refer to multiracial people. I genuinely don't understand why it's offensive.

While we're on the topic, can someone also explain why "mulatto" is offensive.
  • BOTH DO
  • NEITHER DOES
  • ONLY ONE DOES
    Vote C

810

Most Helpful Girl

• Some people can take offense to colored because of the way it might be used or because some people might see it as discriminatory. Mulatto, I don't think it is anything different from other words like mix or biracial or Hispanic or whatever. But I really don't know what word to use that won't offend anyone, lol. Expect POC.

Most Helpful Guys

• Actually no it is not offensive and how about we create a new kind of Gelato which is half water ice and half ice cream we can call it the Mulatto half chocolate water ice and half vanilla ice cream it would be great