Do the terms "colored" and "mulatto" offend you?

If YES, please explain why.

Some teacher who is herself mixed race is being disciplined and had to apologize because she referred to a group of black students as "colored".
I know "colored" in used in South Africa to refer to multiracial people. I genuinely don't understand why it's offensive.

While we're on the topic, can someone also explain why "mulatto" is offensive.
  • BOTH DO
    Vote A
  • NEITHER DOES
    Vote B
  • ONLY ONE DOES
    Vote C
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• Some people can take offense to colored because of the way it might be used or because some people might see it as discriminatory. Mulatto, I don't think it is anything different from other words like mix or biracial or Hispanic or whatever. But I really don't know what word to use that won't offend anyone, lol. Expect POC.

0|1
    0|0

Most Helpful Guys

• Actually no it is not offensive and how about we create a new kind of Gelato which is half water ice and half ice cream we can call it the Mulatto half chocolate water ice and half vanilla ice cream it would be great

0|1
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• I've never heard anyone call me mulatto. Is that something you can get from Starbucks?

0|1
    0|0
    • A Mulatto is a half black half white person. And anthropologists recognize it as an official racial term, but some people consider it derogatory

• Show All
    • Probably 'cuz people have never heard that term before, and the ones who have think it's derogatory

• the name doesn't really sound "official". Sounds like a type of latte.

• No, a good mate of mine is South African, and he self-identifies as "Coloured", so if it's good enough for him, it's good enough for me.

0|1
    1|0
  • I wish there were better words but it does help to say that coloured person, then you know who someone is talking about. Like mulatto what even is that... coloured you can kinda figure out it means a person of colour... which is offensive to white people because it's saying they lack colour.

0|1
    0|0
  • They don’t offend me, but I’m white. Some people find them offensive because they’re old words dating from a time before racial equality. The correct term is persons of color, not colored.

0|1
    0|0
  • In the USA this is offensive but in Africa this is not.

1|1
    0|0
  • Person of color is deemed acceptable. Mulatto is offensive/dated according to the online dictionary.

Who knows.

0|2
    0|0
  • I don't know what mulatto means and colored doesn't offend me

0|1
    0|0
  • They should bring back those terms. Also, a quadroon was a person who was one fourth Negro. The word is used in Louisa May Alcott's book Little Women.

0|1
    0|0
  • We use mulato in the descriptions that we have in my country, we learn it in school.

0|1
    0|0
  • They were common when I was a boy; the first just meant "non-white", like the modern "PoC". The latter was someone of mixed race.

0|1
    0|0
  • I use "negro" for the most part

0|1
    0|0
    • I heard in Europe "negro" "nigger" is the norm.

• Show All
    • Because it was used by slave owners to dehumanize black people. At least "nigger" was, but it wasn't such a big deal until the 80s.
      I don't understand why "negro" is offensive though. It was even used by MLK. But I guess the same reason, because started using it in a negative context. Even "black" is starting to become offensive in America now

• It wasn't used to dehumanize slaves... It is descriptive...

"Negro" is the Spanish word for "black", and "nigger" is the American version of it.

• Nah.😂

0|1
    0|0
  • Not my fight, doesn't offend me.

0|1
    0|0
  • People are offended by far too much these days

0|1
    0|0
  • Don’t see how they’re offensive

0|1
    0|0