Where do right-wing morons get this idea that Martin Luther King Jr. was a Republican when in reality he was a very outspoken socialist?

Call it democracy, or call it democratic socialism, but there must be a better distribution of wealth within this country for all God’s children. Martin Luther King, Jr., May 1965 speech to the Negro American Labor Council, in T. Jackson, From Civil Rights to Human Rights (2009), p. 230

28

Most Helpful Guy

• Because, as you may recall, until the late 1960s, most African-Americans were Republicans. The reference to the "Solid South" was to the Democratic party.

The Democratic party was the party of segregation and the Confederacy. The GOP was the party of Lincoln that freed the slaves. That began to change with the advent of FDR's New Deal, but did not completely change until Barry Goldwater was nominated by the GOP in 1964.

Goldwater was no bigot - in fact he advocated gay rights long before it was popular in either party. However, his libertarianism conduced to state's rights and that de facto put the GOP on the side of Jim Crow.

Also, keep in mind that it was the GOP that put the 1965 Voting Rights and Civil Rights Acts over the top. With a higher percentage of GOP votes for both bills than Democrats. (The latter still being a divided party north and south.) As Lyndon Johnson put it when signing the Civil Rights Act, "Thanks to the Democrats, we got a bill. Thanks to the Republicans, we have a law."

Thus, how the African-American vote became overwhelmingly Democratic. Although recent polling suggests that younger African-American voters are less attached to the Democrats than their parents.

In any case, while I am not aware that MLK was registered with either party - not all states have party registration - it is not unlikely that he at least started as a Republican. He may have changed party later, but at least based on historical voting patterns, it is not impossible that he started out with the GOP.

Most Helpful Girl

• The only time I have seen conservatives try to align MLK jr messaging for common cause was in relation to immigration and to a lesser extent his race neutral (at least in comparison to today’s intersectional movement) approach to race relations.
    In those senses it’s arguabke that he is closer to today’s republicans than today’s democrats. But I’ve not seen any fans of MLK in “right wing morons” so I really am not sure I know what you are referring to.