Is it possible to be a successful politician and still have a moral compass?

I doubt it. But if you think it's possible, maybe you could share some stories / examples?

225

Most Helpful Guys

• Hmmm, let's see. Churchill. Lincoln. Washington. Roosevelt. Reagan. DeGualle. No. No. I guess not.

Forgive me, but the argument that politicians cannot have a moral compass is both intellectually lazy and, in its way, a form of prejudice. It is judging people by what they are rather than what they do.

Moreover, it is self-serving. It makes the non-politician feel good about himself rather than taking responsibility for their own actions and beliefs. It is how the nation got the massive budget deficits and national debt that it has.

The American public that rants against the politicians and demands that they be responsive to the will of the people has the following profile:

1 in 6 who works, works for government. (Federal, state and local levels.)

1 in 7 is a Social Security recipient.

1/3 of all families, this year, will receive some form of government transfer payment.

55% say that they are overtaxed in the latest Rasmussen poll. Yet, more than 50% of the public pay no Federal income tax at all.

The American public rather enjoys living beyond their means. Thus we get government by moral hazard, with the public blaming others for its failures to choose between its wants and its needs and then to prioritize its needs. It then in the same breath the public demands that politicians be absolutely responsive to its every whim because, well, the public is the font of all wisdom and goodness, don't ya know.

The truth is that the nation's politicians run the gamut. Some are seriously impressive, some seriously unimpressive. Most fall in the middle. Having worked with them - I am a former Congressional staffer - I will say that most are remarkably public spirited and work the kinds of hours that most Americans would not tolerate. In this, I do not share the populist - and popular - prejudice against politicians.

People get involved in politics out of any number of multiple motives - some noble, some not so much. Some out of a genuine sense of public spiritedness. Some because it satiates their ego. Some - myself included - because the policy issues and philosophical issues are just simply endlessly intellectually fascinating.

There are as many motives for people getting into politics as there are people. The only thing that I will say - and this I say based on personal experience - most people in politics, contrary to popular belief, are genuinely public spirited, honest and want to do the right thing. Like any humans, their weaknesses get in their way and they make mistakes.

Overall, though, they are much more impressive than those who would - with no experience of public life - criticize them. Such criticisms are mostly intellectually lazy and absent any real understanding of the complexities and inevitable compromises of politics and public life.

• We have had politicians with a strong moral compass, and may have some now. But it's easy to see from recent years, politicians with a moral compass are less and less common. How else can you brag about grabbing women by the pussy without permission, and have affairs with porn stars, and numerous times in just a few minutes when talking to the American people

Most Helpful Girl