Are men held to traditional standards?

The Confident Male ↗ by @Wowgirl30q got me thinking. And I'm not saying anything against her specifically or her particular Take, I'm just thinking generally here.

There have been quite a few Takes on the ideal man/ideal woman. What I've noticed is that a man posting on the ideal woman gets his dated ideas ridiculed (at least mostly by women), while a woman who posts about her ideal man is praised along with her old fashioned ideas of men (at least mostly by other women).

What's attractive seems to be if a man has double the confidence, ambition, and competence of any woman. It's even attractive if he's a hot head and basically hulks out into conflict. But what makes a man attractive seems to boil down to having more power than a woman. Sure equal power is well and good, but him having more power is preferred. Anything less than a given woman's power means that a man either doesn't have a chance with her, or the relationship is now over.

It's obvious to me that the human rights violations that happend to women in the 20th, 19th centuries and further on needed to be ended and solved. This is what I agree with. But at the heart of so much recent successful activism is the idea that men shouldn't have more power than women, right? Yet, isn't this stramgely the social standard men are still held to today? As in, it seems to be his power advantage, dominance, higher utility/usefulness that attracts any woman. Women are equal, but they need men to be better.

As disgusting as this may sound, for whatever reason I get the impression that relationships are still just a trade of power for sexuality. Love still isn't love. It's just a business contract it seems.

by the way there's no intention of sounding misandric or misogynistic, this is just a question

Are men held to traditional standards?
Are men held to traditional standards?

619

Most Helpful Guys

• Look man, you've got to have SOMETHING to bring to the table. Not only that, but it has to be something that the other party actually WANTS. For most guys (not all but most) what we tend to want is a woman who is loyal, trustworthy, loving, supportive, playful, and hot. That will get a girl pretty far in terms of attracting guys. It seems to me that most girls want a guy who has the characteristics that @Wowgirl30q pointed out. Confidence and power among them. I'm not sure why either of those positions is in any way a "problem." That's just what sells. Does it mean you can't get anywhere unless you have all those characteristics? No. Just that your appeal will be less broad.

• 8 d ago

There's always something to offer isn't there? That should be inherent. And I try to look for beauty rather that just hotness. Beauty is subjective too but it also has more staying power than hotness.

On a basic level I see your point and agree. But where you run into a problem is that there will always be someone "better" when hotness is your main reason for appreciating someone on a deep level.

• 8 d ago

Even if there is someone "better" when dealing with hotness, the same applies to any other quality. Also, just because someone is "better" doesn't mean they're available to you.

• 8 d ago

If they're not available then it wouldn't be problematic

• From the actions and decisions of women, you have to come to the conclusion that women hold men to the highest standards in all categories, but refuse to hold themselves to any standard at all.

A man's standards are always seen as oppressive. Want a fit woman? You're fat-shaming! Pretty? Impossible beauty standards! Want a woman who can cook? Sexist! A woman who hasn't been in 100 men's bed? Slut-shaming!

Where have all the real men gone? It doesn't matter. A real man has standards, and standards are something to be shamed... unless you're a woman.

• 8 d ago

Real men aren't afraid to be shamed by losers. I dont care how many sluts call me a slut shamer, i dont date sluts. I will tell anyone that to their face. Men are the problem too scared to speak up and too out of control their dicks to stop rewarding hos. Its a lie men can't keep it in their pants, men can be gate keepers of sex too. Im good looking and successful, i tell women no all the time. That makes me even more attractive.

• 8 d ago

@bamesjond0069 I agree. I was talking in general. Women have high standards for men, hate men who have high standards for women, and then ask where the real men have gone. We're still here, we just won't settle for the average chick, especially since the average has taken a hard downhill slide.

Most Helpful Girl

• Well if you read my response you know they that is my my take and I think there were others who also see things differently

Keep in mind takes gets to attract like minded people

If you do a take on old fashion dating you will attract people who see things that way.

on a new way of dating you will attract people who think that way.

Rey it. Rather than a response piece. Just do a take on how you enjoy dating you idea if a good balance, And see if you get encouragement.

I think you would.😊