Ghosted after an interview?

A few months ago I applied to a GSOC position with company A. I interviewed for the position, but the general consensus was that the company would prefer me as an Intelligence Analyst. About three weeks ago, they reached out and told me that there was an opportunity in the SF/Bay area as an Intelligence Analyst, they wanted to know if I would be interested. I told them yes, and that I was excited to learn more. Three weeks ago, I had a 20 min chat with Interview A to discuss my interest. He told me the salary range was $85-105K, but that it wasn't too much due to the area being expensive.

Two weeks ago they moved me to the first official interview. I interviewed with Person A and B. B works in HR. Overall the interview went great and they discussed when I could move out. They even asked my desired salary. They said I could email me the salary. I emailed them after the interview along with a thank you note. During the interview, they didn't know if the tech company would require an assessment. Person A would reach out at the end of the week if an assessment was needed.

It's been almost two weeks, and I haven't heard from either. I sent a follow-up email expressing my interest to person A yesterday and no response. I sent an email to Person B a few hours ago and nothing.

Am I being ghosted or just overacting and need to be more patient? This is making me very nervous :(

0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• Oh dear... 20 min interview is not good honey... Very rarely 20 minutes is good
    A successful interview should last anything 30 minutes plus...

Keep applying elsewhere, it is absolutely gutting when you don't get the job you want but there is other jobs out there.. Fingers crossed and don't give up its their loss not yours

0|0
    0|0
    • 4 d ago

I should have probably specified that the first one was a chat and not technically an interview. He just wanted to chat about the position and see if I would be interested in the role.

• it depends... some places take FOREVER to go through all candidates, get all the decision makers to agree on a candidate, etc. but also a LOT of places just never get back to you.

either way... there's not much that you can do to speed the process along or get them to reach out to you with an answer (whether the answer is yes or no). I don't know if you are interviewing at other places but if you were to receive an offer from place A but place B is your favorite and you're still waiting on place B... you could mention it to them that you've got an offer on the table but you're more interested in them (that *might* encourage them to speed the process along if you are indeed their favorite candidate).

0|0
    0|0
  • They probably have another candidate that they're moving forward with. Whatever the hold-up is, it's not good for you. Keep applying.

1|0
    0|0
    • 4 d ago

But why won't they just tell me? It's so simple to send an email. Also, why talk about salary and relocation?

• 4 d ago

Only they know their real motivation. So I'm just speculating.

You stood out and seem to be a match. But for whatever reason, they rated someone else higher. They're now running background checks / reference checks, started a new employee orientation, whatever... and they're waiting to see if the other person takes the job or sticks with it. They want to keep you as a back-up until they're sure that the other person isn't going to quit or fail new-hire probation.

Recommended myTakes