Which side is more intolerant of the others existence. Conservatives or Liberals?

I'm inclined to say liberals. I have tons of liberals friends (that don't know I'm a conservative) but I've had people stop being my friend simply because I'm a conservative, I'm not even the most conservative person around. They just leave off of hearing "I'm a republican". I notice a lot of other conservatives are also quiet about being conservative out of fear of people hating them for it (this has been addressed as a problem especially on college campuses before) but I don't think liberals have the same problem as they tend to be outward with their views regardless of who they're speaking to
  • Conservatives
    Vote A
  • Liberals
    Vote B
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy
Updates:
3 d ago
Most of you are completely misinterpreting this question. I said who is more intolerant of the other side. Saying that conservatives are racist, is not what I'm asking. I'm saying who has a problem with the other existing more. For example, who hates the other more Trump supporters, or Hillary supporters

0|1

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• Liberals and democrats are the most intolerant.

If your not watching the news all laws trying to get passed by trump are being blocked because democrats are crazy!.

Liberals on the other hand just seem to rebels without a cause. Complaining at all times and sometimes for nothing

2|6
    1|1
  • This is a very narrow experience related entirely to anecdote, but as one from Japan and biracial, I had so much better in the more conservative states like Texas and Tennessee than the most progressive ones like California and New York. I am actually liberal (but not progressive -- I am right-wing liberal, or "classic liberal").

I never had people telling me to go back to my "own country" in the red states. That was exclusively in the "blue states" in my experience. The ones in the "red states" were so hospitable and fun-loving people with whom I could get along.

This idea of a super red-neck, intolerant, Bible-thumping white supremacist is such a small minority in my experience. I have never actually met any of them. I'm sure they exist but I always got along better with the more conservative types. They are, overall, such nice people in my opinion.

1|4
    0|0
    • 3 d ago

I had so much better [of an experience] in the more conservative states [...]

• Show All
    • 3 d ago

That update wasn't directed at you, you have a very nice answer that hit the nail on the head. It was just in regards to people who seem to be moving away from the actual question

• 3 d ago

Cheers! :-DI also apologize if I dodged the question a bit. But I figure the true hearts of people is what I'm at, and what I like. But from what I've learned of the US, I'm left with this sort of question:

Which side is more intolerant of the others existence. Conservatives or Liberals?

• There is no real way to answer the question. Much depends on the individual.

That noted, it has been well said that if you disagree with a conservative, he will think that you are mistaken. If you disagree with a liberal, he will think you are immoral.

There is a certain presumption among contemporary liberals of their moral superiority. In part this being an outgrowth of the "identity politics" so current among liberals. If you are standing against (presumed) racism, you can make a claim to moral superiority.

Case study: Famously liberal Juan Williams wrote an article where admitted to feeling nervous when seeing an Arab man on his airplane. Williams has a long track record - he is African-American - of advocacy for civil and human rights. In the offending article he even noted how irrational his feelings were.

Not good enough. He was summarily drummed out of NPR with prejudice. (Pardon the pun.) It was Fox that picked him up and keeps him as a regular commentator and panelist on programs like "The Five."

Ditto Donna Brazile, a longtime Democratic strategist. She too fell afoul of certain elements of the party constituency and was picked up by Fox.

Of course, these are examples and case specific. Drawing broader conclusions from them may be more than the evidence will bear.

However, it is hard to find comparable examples on the other side. Those conservatives who get on MSNBC or CNN tend to be of the more "eccentric" variety. (Though I like them. See also George Will, David Brooks, etc.) Alternatively, they are apostates - see also the insufferable Joe Scarborough.

Again, you cannot draw too much from the observation, but it appears to be illustrative. There is, in current American liberalism - to be exact, what Americans call liberalism - a certain strain of moral narcissism.

That begging the question of the strain of intellectual narcissism that it can fairly argued tend to be on the nominally conservative side is any better. Narcissism is not typically a virtue, whatever its motives.

That said, as far as tolerance is concerned, a slight case can be made for greater tolerance on the conservative side. However, it is not a decisive case and there are as many exceptions as the rule itself.

0|0
    0|0
  • You are joking, right?
    The entire conservative rhetoric itself revolves about lack of tolerance.
    It does not deserve tolerance back.

1|1
    1|3
    • 3 d ago

Didn't read the details didn't ya

• Show All
    • 3 d ago

Lol okay then

• 2 d ago

So the liberals jumping people, throwing rocks, vandalizing property, yelling and harassing people trying to eat with their families is being "more tolerant"?
      Liberals are the worst group of people we have in the USA these days. Very hypocritical, dishonest, intolerant group of people.

• I think that conservatives are more tolerant. (I’m just generalizing here) Most liberals tend to overreact when they see something they don’t like. If you look at what’s happening to conservatives on social media, you’ll see that liberals are asking for conservatives to be banned rather than ignoring the conservatives and unfollowing them. It’s a messed up world we live in, man.
    Sincerely,
    Me

2|5
    1|1
  • The answer to this is unquestionably liberals. Most conservatives really don't care about your beliefs or lifestyle until you start trying to force them down somebody else's throat.

The liberal politicians right now are so far out in left field that they've taken to eating their own if they don't fall in line with absolutely every single issue. They can't even compromise within their own political party, let alone with the citizens.

1|1
    1|1
  • Conservatives because they think their shit don’t stink. They hide behind a facade of patriotism and love but they’re snakes. At least the politicians are. Democrats aren’t perfect at all but the sheer stupidity that the Frightwing has shown over the past few months is indescribable.

2|2
    0|4
    • 3 d ago

That isn't what the question asks. The question is which one hates the other more.

• Show All
    • 2 d ago

@AynonOMouse Prime example of my comment. Conservatives think their shit don't stink at ALL. Conservatives do the same exact thing but act like they're angels on Earth. They do this in an attempt to make liberals look worse in an effort to tear down the party. Just because they put on a phony christian facade doesn't mean we don't see through it. Any time Democrats say or do anything, Conservatives dismiss them as snowflakes or morons.

• 2 d ago

Shuri, exactly!!!

• Liberals take rights away, punish with taxes, and never obey the laws they write. They use media to go after people. They also use IRS to go after people.

0|1
    0|2
    • 3 d ago

This isn't what the question is about. I'm asking which side seemingly as a problem with the other side's existence

• Conservatives hands down. They have much more violent, aggressive, and heated hatred for people who don't see it their way, and racism is more present among conservatives than liberals. The majority of people who've committed wholesale shootings and even some bombings have been those who identified with conservative views.

They do all this because they are the ones who can't handle their world and have no tolerance.

0|1
    0|3
    • 2 d ago

So the liberals jumping people, throwing rocks, vandalizing property, yelling and harassing people trying to eat with their families is being "more tolerant"?
      Liberals are the worst group of people we have in the USA these days. Very hypocritical, dishonest, intolerant group of people.
      And liberals are very prejudice against straight White men.

• 2 d ago

@AynonOMouse The very opposite. That stuff liberals do? Is not even as common as violent conservatives.

"And liberals are very prejudice against straight White men."
      - Probably because many straight white men are prejudiced themselves and vote Republican. Nobody wants to hang with that crowd but... well... white men.

• I'm a moderate libertarian, I can have reasonable discussions with conservatives most of the time, it can be pretty hard with liberals a lot of the time if my opinion is more right leaning. Most people you can discuss things with in general I think, but the more radical they are, the more difficult it is, and lately there have definitely been more radical leftists than any others

1|2
    0|0
    • 1 d ago

This is probably one of the best responses I’ve read. You gave both sides (which I really appreciate) and you didn’t completely demonize either side. I need to learn a lot from that. You also didn’t completely generalize everything. I think we should all learn a lot from this (including me).
      Sincerely,
      Me

• It used to be conservatives, but Newt Gingrich started a movement within the republican party to be as intolerable as possible, so it evened out. But the difference is that conservatives are intolerant to things like "poor people" or "black people." Whereas liberals are intolerant to things like "killing black people" or "stealing from poor people". And when conservatives use their standard sideways logic to justify these things, it drives liberals every bit as up the wall as it's intended to - though not because conservatives have anything resembling a point, but because conservatives like to rub it in everyone's faces that they don't have to be honest or care if anyone calls them out on it.

1|0
    1|3
    • 3 d ago

Youd use of wild generalizations and straw men like that kinda shows that you're part of that intolerant crowd

• Show All
    • 3 d ago

@Normalice, What would be the point of giving every single crime? I don't see how things like Tax Evasion and Truancy are relevant as they RARELY call for deadly force (if ever) I am from the US, I live in Pennsylvania but I will list sources since you asked (you didn't when you claimed blacks are statistically more likely to be shot but I'll let it slide)

I won't give my original one because you'll probably criticize what the source was so I'll give several others.

www.statista.com/.../
      this shows all the people who were shot from 2017 - 2019 by race

Take a look at 2017. Whites made up 48% of people shot
      Blacks made up 23%

ucr.fbi.gov/.../table-43

This table gives FBI statistics for 2017 on all crime. Now admittedly whites committed 69% of all arrests where as blacks made up 27% however,

•Blacks made up 53% of murders, whites made up 44%
      •Blacks made up 54% of robberies, whites made up 44%

You have a lot of outliers for whites that go to that 69% for example DUIs being 81% whites. Drug abuse 70% whites.

However if you want to go off total violent crime the FBI sites it at 58.5% whites, and 37.5% blacks for total violent crime. Again crimes that normally most warrant deadly force 48% of people shot were white in 2017 so 10.5% down from the rate they committed violent crime 23% of people shot were black so 13.5% down for violent crime. You can't compare the whole 69% and 27% because as I said, that ignores crimes that normally don't require deadly force which are also the most common. Will I say blacks are unfairly incarcerated, sure that sounds reasonable, but shot? No, that's a blatant lie that requires you to manipulate data.

Let me just say dude, you're not making a good case for yourself. You've been a hypocrite this entire conversation. Instead of making valid points, you repeatedly just generalized all conservatives.

• 3 d ago

Well, I misspoke. I meant "all the statistics" period, not just crime statistics. The desperate nature of the crimes committed, by race, only correlates to the income levels, by race - which is the cause of most desperation. It's all of a piece. Now, if you want to explain why black people have less money than white people, I'd be delighted to watch you try very hard to imply without saying that they are just plain inferior. That they are prone to making worse choices or avoiding taking responsibility for themselves or welfare holds them back despite not holding white people back. Or any of the common conservative rhetoric that still doesn't quite qualify as "intolerant" so much as "dismissive." Which I'll admit is not the same thing, but you can't really do one if you are doing the other despite the fact that the result of either is so similar. So, again, it's not a fair question.

Also, wanted to point out as an aside that no one is supposed to be guilty of any crime until proven so in a court of law. If you want to try a purely logical argument, then you should agree that the reason why we respect police officers as people who do a dangerous job is ultimately because, in so many words, they never fire the first shot in self-defense. And yet, the "blue lives matter" thing was very popular among conservatives. Surely you don't deny that.

• ummm
    How can you ask a question like this?

Cherry picking is what Im going to view this as. Not a question. considering you didn't give an option for both.

All these labels. I honestly can not tell the difference between the two, three parties anymore. Both sides spewing hateful shit.

I find both have huge flaws. You know, instead of naming babies let just brand them with a label and that way everyone wins and we can keep that big gap between the word united? Can make a difference when one too busy pointing fingers all day.

Just a thought.

0|0
    1|1
    • 2 d ago

I don't think you know what cherry picking means. Also the reason there's no option for both is because that would make sense. The question is who is MORE intolerant. How can the both be equally more intolerant of each other. That's literally impossible

• 2 d ago

Wouldn't*

• Liberals. Conservatives are the ones who are actually open to political discourse and values free speech. The same is like poison whenever brought up to liberals.

1|2
    0|1
  • In all of my experiences, a conservative is more likely to set political differences aside for friendship, while liberals are more likely unfriend you or stop talking to you over politics.

0|3
    0|0
    • 3 d ago

I was talking to my daughter tonight and she explained she will never voice her political opinions because she knows that the liberal kids will shun her.

• 3 d ago

@bangyourhead I was still in college during the 2016 election. The environment was completely unfriendly towards dissenting opinions. Most of my liberal year 1 friends stopped talking to me when they found out who I supported, and professors showed clear bias.

I avoid talking politics with people I don't know well and suggest your daughter do the same.

• 0|2
    1|0
    • 3 d ago

Actually that site shows that even though liberals are more likely to drop a friend they are more likely to have friends with opposing political views to drop and even though liberals are blocking more often they are also viewing less posts in line with their views so again there would be more people with opposing views to block.

• Hillary supporter are more intolerant of others they still believe that Trump some how rigged the election and that regardless of the special counsel findings they believe that he was or is colluding with the Russians they also want for the General population to believe that he is a racist and homophobic when in fact president Trump has done more for the minorities than any other president that preceded him

0|1
    0|0
  • As a republican I pitty liberals for their ignorance and being naive on the other hand liberals hate Republicans because liberals see republicans a threat to their mischief goals and ideas, since republicans can dismantle their stupid ideas

1|0
    0|0
  • I’m an independent so I get attacked by both of you. They are both intolerant and very upset at the fact “I throw my vote away” etc. I wish we could move away from this stupid three party system.

1|0
    0|0
    • 3 d ago

I get attacked by Both of them***

I didn’t mean to say you.

• Show All
    • 1 d ago

Of course I do, but both Democrats and Republicans get mad because I sometimes vote for my own party and that’s “throwing your vote away.”

• 1 d ago

Well that's very stupid, as long as you cast a vote it's not wasted wither the person/party (sorry not 100% sure of the American electoral system) has no chance of winning.

• Just imagine this: Liberals are liberal to also do the conservative stuff. But conservatives are too conservative to do the liberal stuff. So I'd say, the conservatives are more intolerant of the liberals.

0|1
    0|1
  • Conservatives, never seem a bunch of people be so hateful before. They litteraly hate everyone that does not bow to there idea of human.

1|1
    2|4
    • 2 d ago

• Show All
    • 1 d ago

God you're just pathetic, a great example of how your side tends to behave though.

• 1 d ago

Ooo look she continues after showing her pure intolerance and playing victim. You get what you give dear. Its life. Now are you gonna leave yet?

• Conservatives are more tolerant, because the observable reality is that the violence and the hate is one way: so-called liberals and others attacking conservatives.

1|0
    0|1
  • You can find intolerance on both sides pretty easily.

Still I voted based on what I’ve experienced talking to everyone from tanky communists to alt right and centrists in between.

0|0
    0|0
  • If you're firmly in one camp the other community will seem more intolerant to you.

It depends on where you're standing. Perspective and point of view.

0|1
    0|0
  • Liberals by far. Example if a conservative doesn’t like guns he doesn’t buy one but if a liberal doesn’t like them he wants to ban them for all

1|1
    0|1
  • It's conservatives who practice voter suppression. If preventing people from voting isn't intolerant, than what is?

0|0
    1|3
    • 1 d ago

Can you actually explain what you mean by voter suppression cause I've never heard a conservative say that any legal citizen should be outright denied a vote.

• Liberals as then tend to attack/assault/slander anyone that disagree with them.

0|2
    0|0
  • Liberals. They would do anything to remove Christian conservatives from this world. They are always pointing out intolerance Exept if it's theirs

2|1
    0|1
    • 1 d ago

I’m a Christian conservative myself, and I think this is very true. I guess Christianity will always be the most persecuted of religions, though, because it says it throughout the Bible.
      Sincerely,
      Me

• 1 d ago

Exactly, jesus said that the world will hate us

• One side will blame the other and vice versa. Pointless.

1|0
    0|0
  • I have friends on both sides but we don't obsess over politics. It's boring and apart from voting every few years we don't have any influence over it.

0|1
    0|0
  • I'd say liberals, I do think some conservatives are this way though.

0|0
    0|0
  • They're equally intolerant as I see it. Nobody (online) seems to want a resolution, let alone understanding; both camps would rather bitch and moan and assume everyone on the opposing side is a dangerous extremist. Many believe things won't change no matter what they do, so they don't see the point in even trying to get along.
    The Internet will go down in history as one of the worst things that ever happened to politics. It allows voters to languish in ideological echo chambers rather than face a reality that doesn't, and can not, conform to their increasingly distorted vision.

0|0
    0|0
  • I as a conservative try to debate at least. Most libs just block people and screech on twitter.

0|0
    0|0
  • I think both are full shit there been a republican or a Democrat in the White House since 1860.

0|0
    1|0
  • Both arr

0|1
    0|0
  • None: we are all individuals.

0|0
    0|0
  • they are all the same.

0|0
    0|0
  • Neither tbh

0|0
    0|0
  • Liberals, they're the most intolerant group

0|1
    0|1
  • I just posted a tasteful, but sincere question about my anti-abortion stance. GAG pulled it within 45 seconds. You tell me who's tolerant and who's not. This is supposed to be a site where you can share your views and opinions. But I guess the GAG Nazis don't see it that way. I'm in the process of contacting the own of the site on his Facebook page.

2|1
    0|0
    • 2 d ago

If your talking about the one with the videos that wasn't tasteful but partial

• Show All
    • 2 d ago

@ConfusednClueless
      I agree with you. Just kill them. Bye.

• 2 d ago

@ConfusednClueless
      I couldn't agree more. In England they're debating "after birth abortion."
      I think you get about one year to decide if the baby was a good idea. It makes sense to me.
      Bye.

• There is no good option in American politics, both sides are extremely intolerant and involved in immoral conduct.

0|0
    0|0
  • Actually fully grown republicans are the worst not not talking about college republicans.

0|0
    0|1
  • Where's the option for both?

0|0
    0|0
  • Obviously liberals, anybody who dares even question their fragil ideology is instantly called racist or sexist, it’s a common move by fascist ideologies to not have to answer for the problems their ideology causes

0|1
    1|1
    • 3 d ago

And conservatives get butthurt and call people with opposing views America hating commies.

• Show All
    • 3 d ago

That could be but I’m not conservative (I’m a libertarian) so I don’t really have a bias towards them, but then again My country the liberals are louder than the cons so that might be why I notice it more

• 3 d ago

By sampling bias I meant I would be arguing with conservatives more so they'd use patriotic correctness more while you'd be arguing with liberals more so you'd hear more political correctness coming from them.

• Honestly the liberals are going to say conservatives and the conservatives are going to say liberals. They're both intolerant

0|1
    1|0
    • 2 d ago

The difference is liberals attack/jump people, throw rocks, vandalize property, try to sabotage people at their jobs, yell and harass families, block traffic, etc. While the conservatives don't do that.

• 2 d ago

@AynonOMouse You a conservative?

Recommended myTakes