Why do people freak out when there are reports of low fertility rates?

I keep seeing reports of low fertility rates in the US as well as Japan, Korea and other European countries, They statistics showing that population is actually shrinking in som areas or will be shrinking soon. So why is that a bad, I feel like less people would be better, a lot of the reports say its because people are more busy and dont have time to start families so its not like people are just sitting around doing nothinh they are still working and contributing. And if its also because people just dont want families i think that should be excepted to, you can't force people to be in relationships

0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• It becomes a major economic issue. Most countries relies on a steadily growing population to support the next generation when they become older and want things like a pension. Other consequences is that businesses are not going to grow quite as well etc.. Its just a big departure from the heyday of capitalistic growth.

0|0
    0|0
  • Because Western pension systems and consumption-driven economies need population and productivity growth. True, that is less of an issue for Japan and Korea.

0|1
    0|0
  • I wonder the same thing.

It’s not like humans are anywhere close to extinction.

0|1
    0|1
  • That’s because the economies will implode without replacement-level birthrstes.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes