Should enemies be forgiven?

Should enemies be forgiven?
Should enemies be forgiven?

924

Most Helpful Guy

• If it suits your long term interests, yes. But that doesn't mean you trust them going forward.

923
  • This really just depends on a multitude of factors.

• Yup, forgive, but be prepared next time.

Resentment, bitterness, and wrath are an nasty internal cancer. You've encountered those already consumed online/offline, right? Do you really want to risk becoming them?

Forgiving is 1 thing, preparing countermeasures is another. If you've been victimized by theft, you don't necessarily need bitterness to setup preventative fixes, right?

• 2 d ago

Moving past things and forgiving things are two different actions entirely. For give implies there was something given as re compensation for harms done. If someone proves themselves to do the same bad thing given the same circumstances again and again, and not show any signs of slowing down on that path, why would you forgive them? They aren't getting any better.

• 2 d ago

@No_Archons It's not for the offenders' benefit, but for yours.

「Forgive implies there was something given as re compensation for harms done.」
      Not necessarily. If you're driving and someone performs a reckless maneuver, do you have to follow them until you see improvement? Or can you just move on and wave it off?

In the case of repeat offenses, letting go is still important if you don't want it to consume you. (For example, my older-sister repeatedly 'borrowed' my saving when we were in our teens, even promising to repay after repeatedly depleting my life-savings. She has yet to do so. Money has repeatedly torn families apart across the globe. Should I allow the same to happen to us? Thankfully, fate has repaid me be giving me a higher-paying jobs, so I don't need her repayment.) People (family or not) do what they do for their own reasons and from what their experiences & traumas have impressed on them. Rather than anger, I pity them for not knowing any better. What type of a life do they have to live for the offenses to be their best/least-bad option? From there, I'd either try to identify the causal factors for the routine offenses, try to address, the factors, and try to dissuade them from further acts… cut my losses, limit my interactions with them, or cut them off without resentment.

Either way, forgiveness is a necessity for internal self-preservation and is generally no hindrance from creating physical countermeasures.

• 2 d ago

Moving on

Forgiveness

Moving on involves letting go

Forgiveness involves absolving someone of wrongdoing, not everyone deserves this

• Generally, I will forgive someone for an offense the first time they commit it, or if it was just an honest mistake. There's a few things that really can't ever be truly forgiven (like being cheated on) even if you're able to move on and remain friends afterwards.

If they continue to do something with no evidence of remorse, then it's foolish to ever believe that they will change.

• To me there is no such a thing as enemies and holding grudges or anger against other people is certainly not productive for your self growth.

• If you can live in peace with yourself and them, then no. Forgiving is your choice and not something you need to do. Yet don't spend your time on earth hating and being mad!

• It depends on why they're your enemy, i don't hold grudges anymore because I found them to be too exhausting. But if your both willing to forgive and forget then yeah why not.

• depends on the situation, depends what they did and why they became enemies to begin with...

I have a handful of enemies i can count on one hand... and none of them deserved forgiveness as they are such vile people

• Pfft, No. Of course not.

If I forgave my enemies then I wouldn't have enemies anymore.

• You don't have to forgive to let something go. If a supposed enemy isn't affecting your life in any way then you give them victory by letting them affect your emotional state.

• You must forgive your enemies. Not for them but for you. Do not lock yourself in a prison of bitterness and hate. It will only poison and destroy you.

Forgive... but never forget

• No.
    Forgiveness is for the weak ones who try displace the fact that someone is their enemy.

• It depends on why they're your enemy in the first place.

• Yes. Holding a grudge only hurts you. But always beware in the future.

• Fuck no, they should be killed, unless their a hot woman. Than enslave.

• Nein. My enemies shall be eliminated.

I believe in karma and justice!

• Depends on what they've done and if they're a repeat offender

• "You should always forgive your enemies but never EVER forget their names" - JFK

• I think so there is no reason to hold all that anger in

• If so, why would americans still let people get death penalty?

• If they actively seek forgiveness, otherwise total elimination.

• Yes. On terms.

• Yea forgiven if one can.
    But never be forgotten.

• Forgive but not forget!

• Nope.

• Yes.

• Nope.

• You decide

• Never

• Not for them but for yourself. In the end of the day you’d be the one having to sleep with a heavy heart if you dont forgive and let go.

• If they ask for forgiveness, sure. Forgive but never forget. Forgiveness does not mean they can enter my life again, it simply means I let go of anger and hatred towards them.

• No absolutely not not what this girl did

• Yes I believe so. It may be harder to forgive certain enemies depending on what they did to you. But you have to realize that we all have choices, whether you choose to hold that grudge or not is up to you. No one makes us feel anyway, we choose to let ourselves feel how we feel based on those situations in our lives. To blame someone else for how you feel is an excuse to allow yourself to feel that way, you brought yourself to that point to allow those feelings to surface. Holding a grudge does nothing but put undue stress in your life, it affects you in more ways than you think. You have to understand people are all different, how were raised, what we went through growing up, how our parents influenced us whether they were there or not. Most people go through life blaming others for why they’re not successful or where they want to be, of course they will always continue to use that as their crutch so they will never truly be happy.