Should we call hate crimes terrorist attacks?

SpiderManFan2002
If we look at the definition of terrorism:
"the unlawful use of violence and intimidation, especially against civilians, in the pursuit of political aims."

And we look at the definition of hate crime:
"a crime, typically one involving violence, that is motivated by prejudice on the basis of race, religion, sexual orientation, or other grounds."

They're really not that different.

I mean the guy who did the "Charlottesville Car Attack" the Mayor of Charlottesville, the Virginia Secretary of Public Safety, the Attorney General and the FBI director called what he did attack an act of domestic terrorism.

He even killed one lovely woman.

And even though four credible, highly ranked people said what he did was an act of terrorism, he was charged with 29 or 30 "hate crime" charges.

Even Wikipedia has titled this attack in one instance as "Charlottesville terror attack"

I don't see anyone calling it the "Charlottesville hate crime attack"

In my eyes, hate crime and terrorism are basically the same things dressed up differently.

What do you think?
No hate crime and terrorism are completely different
Hate crime and terrorism are the same thing dressed up differently
GirlGuy
10 mo
To clarify: I'm not talking about verbal attacks, I'm talking about physical extreme attacks like the "car attack" I gave an example of.

Someone punching someone in the face, would be more suited to be called a hate crime.
Someone using a racial slur against someone else should be considered a hate crime.

But many attacks like the "car attack" are considered hate crimes, even though someone died. Why?
16
3