How to tell the difference between someone making a joke, and someone making a joke intended to offend you?

I work at a coffee shop, and everyone who works there is from a Spanish speaking country. So therefore, everyone there speaks Spanish fluently. I can speak a little bit of Spanish, but I haven’t taken a Spanish class since middle school, and I’m 21. Anyway, there are two people (including me) working the front, but the other lady was in the back talking to the supervisor, and I had to train the new employee. A bunch of customers came in and it was only the trainee and I in the front, and the trainee doesn’t really know how to do anything yet. So I went in the back to ask the other lady if she could take the orders while I help the trainee make the drinks. The supervisor heard, and to the other lady, “she asking you for help because the customers are all Spanish.” Firstly, I was taken aback by my supervisor’s comment, because I couldn’t tell if she was joking or not. Secondly, the customers who came in weren’t all Spanish, and thirdly, I have never turned a customer away, nor had to ask for help because they spoke Spanish.
2
0