What makes you think your statement about an entire region of the world and people from that region is true when you've never once lived there?

dantetheexplorer
I’ve come across this rather interesting idiosyncrasy more than a few times.

For example, on one of my MyTakes, on why East Asians don’t get fat considering they eat rice all the time, I got a reply that went:

“They are always starving to death and that’s the only meal they eat per day.”

When pressed, he added:

“They work for 8 cents an hour making iphones.”

My first thought: “Is this guy serious?”
I immediately thought of the many times I’ve been in Shanghai, Seoul, and Tokyo, and tried to recall whether I just completely missed the hordes of near-dead, starving people in said cities.
A horde of
A horde of "starving to death" Chinese at a popular tea shop, in Shanghai.
Then there was someone who commented: “Asian girls are gold diggers.

Lady, Asian women don’t have to be gold diggers:
Asians make their own gold.
Asians make their own gold.
There was another lady who thinks that tall East Asian girls are as common as Martians and that:

East Asian girls with long legs are non-existent.

I’m just wondering – has she actually lived in Northern China, Mongolia, and South Korea?

If not, how does she have the confidence to make that bold, declarative statement?

Are the tall East Asian girls with long legs I’ve seen in Shenyang, Ulaanbaatar, and Seoul just figments of my imagination?

Is my dear sister, both tall and leggy, an adopted Martian?

Does having an Asian-American boyfriend and eating at Panda Express make one an expert on East Asians?
Sorry, Lee Da Hee. Apparently, standing at 1.75 m (5'9
Sorry, Lee Da Hee. Apparently, standing at 1.75 m (5'9"), you don't really exist.
I sometimes comment on American cuisine and politics – I’ve lived in the US for about 5 years now, East and West coast.

I rarely talk about Germany – I only lived in Germany for a year.

I do comment on Australian culture – I grew up and lived in Australia for about 10 years.

I’ve lived and traveled back and forth between many cities in East Asia, for about 15 years now.

I don't make generalized comments about Africa - I've never lived there.

See where I'm going with this?
9
16