To help or not help. A small dilemma: ethics and etiquette vs. independence and self-sufficiency?

AmandaYVR
So a couple days ago I went grocery shopping and when I got back, I was struggling with an extremely heavy wheeled cart (10+ bags of groceries - more full than in the photo). My building has a parking garage where I park, but it is separate from the units, no elevator, and you have to go around the outside onto the street sidewalk, then up a series of stairs. About 30 stairs, (20 are main, 10 are unit-specific).

I don't know how much it weighed, but a tonne, more than usual, even. And I could not budge the cart, or drag it up even the first set of stairs So I had to unload the cart, leave several bags sitting on the sidewalk, then heave the cart up the 30 stairs, one section at a time.
While I was doing this, fellow male tenant in the building whom I don't know, walked down the same stairs and passed me on his way out. He was so close he even brushed my arm. We didn't make eye contact or speak.

Later that night and since, my lower back is sore again. It keeps getting re-injured, from years ago. And the more my back hurt, the more I started getting kind of miffed about this guy who just walked by. And I'm wondering if anyone would have helped. Man or woman. I would have helped. I didn't expect any help. I never ask strangers for any help.

What do you think? Should he have helped? Should we all mind our own business? Is the world different now in this age of 'supposed' equality? Is it because I live in a densely populated city? But maybe we all expect too little of each other now. Yeah, I'm independent and I can do my own crap (sort of, although in this case not that well though). It would have just been nice though.

Maybe he didn't because once you start on the first set, you have to keep going to all the others. I know it's a P. I. T. A. I do it all the time.

Front of building. Garage/car park on right. Cart full of groceries (much more full than in photo.)
Platforms and stairs (#1 is street level)
More stairs, up to my unit on the left.
More stairs, up to my unit on the left.
8 mo
We figured out a solution - grocery delivery!
For ~ $10 you can get someone else to carry all that shit for you. Totally worth that minor cost.
Only problem is, you have to think of every single item you might want from the store, there's no impulse buying or getting inspired recipoe ideas by new things. So we end up with a lot less food. But it's still better than hauling up all these stairs. And you have to "accept substitutions" otherwise there are always a couple crucial missing items.
15
4