A heroic act? Can you think of a time a stranger helped you, or you helped them?

A bee!
A bee!
A rough approximation of the accident. But my ditch was deeper.
More than 25 years ago, in a more rural town, much smaller than the densely populated city I live in now, this happened. I was driving down a winding country 2 lane road (in a car borrowed from my parents). Suddenly, a bee (or wasp, not sure which). It flew in my window and streamed right past my face, and before I could even think, I was in a ditch on the side of the road. Car was still running. It all happened so fast. Seatbelt on. I was ok. But, oh man, how was I going to get out of here?
But I didn't sit there long, pondering my fate. A truck came along from the opposite direction and immediately pulled over. It was three young men, early twenties, I just remember tall and strong. Maybe they weren't particularly, but they definitely felt like saviours. "Are you okay?" "Yeah, just shaken up. A bee! A bee, I..."
Well they had a winch (as all good true truckers do), and they just hooked that on and pulled me out, lickety split. It was so fast. My heart was still racing when I got back upright. I thanked them profusely of course. They were kind and humble, but also I could tell very proud.
I set off on my way into town. Car was running fine, and no body damage either. Not 2 min later, who did I see driving the opposite direction? My grumpy stepfather, coming home from work. He did not see me, we did not wave. He would have been in an absolute panic if he had come 2 min earlier. He was never good in stressful emergencies.

And that's a little story about the kindness and heroism of strangers. In a past time, in a smaller community, before feminism and before men worrying about the repercussions of helping a woman. Is this kind of thing dying? I hope not. Because everyone could use a hand, and everyone likes to feel useful. And men definitely like to use their trucks. For more than just bringing home the groceries.

Do you have a story about a stranger helping you, or you helping them?
18
5