How do you feel about physician assisted suicide?

TheKack
Physician assisted suicide is where a doctor prescribes a drug in an amount that will allow the patient to slip into sleep and then death. This prescription is only given to people with severe terminal illnesses who have a year or less to live.

I'm very torn on the subject. I know that I wouldn't want to suffer and die slowly, but I also have an insane aversion to feeling as though I'm killing myself. My aversion comes from struggling with depression my whole life and fighting those dark thoughts on a very regular basis. However, I also think that we have a duty to respect people who want to end suffering, and those who understand when it's time to take on the process of passing on.

For me, I think if I had an incurable disease, I would want the option available. I liken it to putting down suffering animals. It's about ending the pain and allowing them a dignified death, not about the actual death.
8 mo
To those saying it is unethical, can you explain? In my opinion it is completely ethical in that doctor's swear to do no harm. Is ending suffering harm?
36
35