Why is abortion such an effective lure to get progressive-ish women to be conservative?

I've encountered at least a half dozen women in real life that I would have sworn were as progressive as I was, but they claimed themselves to be conservatives. I didn't get it, but I didn't question it.

Then, with a varying number of weeks later, it was revealed that each of them was adamant about being "pro life." Also, as it happens, each of them had had an abortion - one of them even had three abortions. All that stuff we agreed over when it comes to classism, propaganda, education, and even gun regulation - but when it came down to it, the idea that other women shouldn't be allowed to get an abortion was just such a huge deal to them.

Why? I understand how insecurity drives most male conservatives. Is it the same thing with women? Is child bearing really the main ambition and thus also the main source of insecurity for women?

I really thought we had evolved beyond that, but maybe there is a critical mass of stragglers - enough to keep conservatism alive, anyway. Would explain why every single woman I know who is progressive but considers herself conservative because of abortions also has had a few of their own.
2
1