Should America host the G-7 summit at a Trump resort?

Trump National Doral Miami
Trump National Doral Miami
The emoluments clause, also called the foreign emoluments clause, is a provision of the U. S. Constitution (Article I, Section 9, Paragraph 8 ) that generally prohibits federal officeholders from receiving any gift, payment, or other thing of value from a foreign state or its rulers, officers, or representatives. The clause provides that:No Title of Nobility shall be granted by the United States: And no Person holding any Office of Profit or Trust under them, shall, without the Consent of the Congress, accept of any present, Emolument, Office, or Title, of any kind whatever, from any King, Prince, or foreign State.

The Constitution also contains a “domestic emoluments clause” (Article II, Section 1, Paragraph 7), which prohibits the president from receiving any “Emolument” from the federal government or the states beyond “a Compensation” for his “Services” as chief executive.

The plain purpose of the foreign emoluments clause was to ensure that the country’s leaders would not be improperly influenced, even unconsciously, through gift giving, then a common and generally corrupt practice among European rulers and diplomats.

The G7 Summit is the annual meeting of the Group of Seven leaders. It's hosted by the G7 president for that year. The summit doesn't have any legal or political authority. But when these seven world leaders agree on something, it has the power to shift the direction of global economic growth. The G7 member countries are the United States, Britain, France, Japan, Germany, Italy, and Canada.

Trump National Doral Miami is a golf resort in Doral in south Florida in the United States

Should Donald J. Trump gain any personal income by hosting this event at one of his properties?
Yes: Trump promises not to personally profit from events at his properties and I believe him.
Yes: I believe Trump will profit, but I do not believe this falls user the Emoluments Clause.
Yes: I believe Trump will profit, but I do not care about the Emoluments Clause.
Vote C
No: The Emoluments Clause is clear that would be a violation.
Vote D
Fake news: I do not believe Trump will host the G-7 Summit at his own property.
Vote E
Other
Vote F
GirlGuy
17
1