What would it take for you to change?

So, i used to be a conservative.

More aptly; i was a conservative-leaning libertarian. I was raised conservative and i just grew up with that kind of mindset:
I thought the majority of poor people were lazy, i thought the Muslims were coming for our country, i thought trans people weren't real, all that jazz.
When the whole Gamergate thing happened i was SO on board. I have always been (and still am) VERY anti-censorship so when i heard that the feminists were coming for videogames i thought we were gonna go to war. I Used to watch nothing but right-leaning YouTubers. I was really into Sargon and Warski and Blair White. (Now I watch Vaush and TJ.)

I was really into all that shit as a kid/teen.

It was only through exploring new ideas through YouTube and with people outside of my "group" that i started to change tunes.

It happened with the trans issue, first. I was arguing with someone and they brought up statistics from the American Psychological Association that i literally couldn't argue with.
After that, everything started unraveling for me: i lost interest in the ideological debates like feminism and started learning a lot more about economics and sociology. The more I learned the more embarrassed i was for being so angry about dumb shit while ignoring greater systemic issues... But i also started feeling a lot happier the more I questioned myself.
The more I was able to learn and connect with new people the less angry and confused i felt. I Used to think shit like "gender studies" was going to end the world... Now I'm really not so scared.

Reactionary right-wing ideas are fueled by fear and having things like statistics and open-dialogue elevated that unfounded fear.
I feel like people are deliberately trying NOT to change their mind on anything, rather than trying to find the truth for any individual subject. It's honestly a little scary to see people outright DENY data. If facts won't change someone's mind, what will?
Add Opinion