Do people realize that there have been many "European Unions" throughout history?

Jaysonava
People in my country, New Zealand, are not historically minded and think that history is irrelevant and that I am living in the past.

But there has been Prussia, Hanseatic League, Austro-Hungarian Empire, Soviet Union, Holy Roman Empire.

I understand that these are different from the current European Union, but I wish people would pay more attention to the past pre 20th century history in order to understand how commonwealths in Europe have operated in the past.

People will consider me backward looking and imprecise and unnuanced with my interpretation, but this union is not a 20th century occurrence. And the tradition predates the World Wars. It will never reach a point of completion because it is merely a timely economic management system to try to provide a common wealth between small nations.

It's no different from equivalent systems in Europe from the past.

People see me as terribly 'backward looking' and 'retrospective' and 'not relevent' but this is important history to me for those who date the EU back to the 2 World Wars alone. This is an old tradition.
1
4