I feel embarrassed by my lying because of the insecurities?

Anonymous
I've lied about schools, friends, money, or whatever because of the insecurities I have.
Basically I've lied to look "cooler" or more "successful" than I actually am and I'm so embarrassed by that. I go to a good school but there're "better" schools. I have really great friends but I could have more friends. I'm financially well-off but then again I could be richer.
It's so hard to accept myself for exactly who I am in this ultra-competitive society where everyone seems to want to appear perfect. Look at Instagram, Facebook, LinkedIn (ugh, pls), etc. I don't do any of those anymore but it's still hard. Don't get me wrong I don't blame society for putting me in a situation where I felt like I had to lie. It's my own thing and I gotta deal with it but I just wanted to know if any of you have felt the same way or have done the same thing and wanted to seek some sort of advice or something.
1
0