Was the Civil War unjustified or a necessary evil? Are Confederate soldiers really traitors? Was Lincoln a traitor? Is the “slavery” narrative false?

I get that a bunch of racist people used it as a popular symbol of resistance during the Civil Rights Movement, because it represented opposition to federal intervention, but there is a reason why so many people today who use the symbol say “Heritage not hate”, because they only wish to honor their ancestors who defended against an Unconstitutional invasion. After all what the flag ACTUALLY represents is a battle emblem, not a Government that wanted to defend slavery. As a result of this invasion, many cities were looted and burned to the ground by Union troops, and innocent non-slave holding families were even killed as a result. Now do you see an incentive for Southerners to fight? Besides slavery? Many people also forget that secession was a Constitutional right supported by the founding fathers, therefore the notion of the men in gray being “traitors” is completely false. They exercised a Constitutional right. If anything Lincoln is a traitor for Habeas Corpus which led to newspapers being shut down and the inprisonment of people expressing southern sympathies. He also started a war without congressional approval, and his original stated purpose was to “save the union” irrespective of what it meant in regards to slavery. However as the war dragged on and popular support fell in the North, moral justification became necessary as a cover up and although four Confederate states listed slavery as their reason for leaving, what about the others? I’m not denying that slavery was a reason, just that it was the ONLY reason people fought. And why not heed the words of Jefferson Davis who himself said “We are fighting for independence, not slavery as it never was deemed an essential element”? You see not everybody in the South felt threatened with slavery’s end, even though it was undeniably something they intended on keeping. This especially goes without saying when historians universally agree that a majority of Southerners didn’t even own slaves.
18 d
I understand why it’s still offensive to black people though, because it reminds them of a time period in history that wasn’t particularly good for them. But I don’t believe that gives you the right to villify innocent people as “racists” who seek to honor their heritage. Also I only fly it cuz I’m the North and Irdc what white liberals think of me. They are boring people to begin with.
0
6